Brewster bans KFAN interviews for Players and Coaches

As much as I don't like Barreiro I think he hit it right on with his last 3 tweeets:

"From the Oh No, Not That, Anything But That Dept.: No Gophers football players, coaches allowed on KFAN."

"Is Brew bitter that when team yielded 100 points last 2 games of '08, we, unlike good Gopher bobos, did not refuse to talk about it?"

"Or is it that we refused to endorse a contract extension midway through last season because, as proved by 2nd half, he hadn't yet earned it?"

I completely agree with the above. When I think of this from the "glass is half full" perspective, I truly think this program is headed in the right direction, but over 2+ years Brewster still doesn't have a signature win or anything else that can prove to us that his regime is better than the Mason regime. He has improved recruiting, and time will tell if that improves overall team quality, but he is still measured by wins and losses and in that department he is still 10-17 (3-13). Add that in with all the coaching changes and I can see where the "negativity" could be rooted from.

As a Brew Fan though, this is an idiotic and terrible move.

At least we don't have to listen to Chad H. anymore--he was by far the biggest hater of them all. I was happy as can be when he was let go.
Oddly enough, Chad Hartman was sitting in about the 15th row of Section 114 at Saturday's game. Of course, with the exception of the AFA fans, he must have been the only person in the entire stadium that wasn't wearing maroon & gold. I wanted to go up and ask him if he thought he was too good for us, but alas, I just let it go. So Chad, if your phone rings, are you gonna answer it? For your sake, you better. :p

This seems like a big deal now, but I don't think it is in the scheme of things. My guess is that if this was an overreaction by Brew and he doesn't have good reason for it, Maturi will step in and deal with it.

Did someone say in another post that PA ended the show by saying coaches (maybe players also?) would be available in the future?? So did the U and KFAN somehow iron this thing out this morning??

This seems like a big deal now, but I don't think it is in the scheme of things. My guess is that if this was an overreaction by Brew and he doesn't have good reason for it, Maturi will step in and deal with it.
The big deal is if true it speaks to Brewster's maturity and character and doesn't say anything positive.

this interweb thing knows no bounds

As much as Brew reads this board maybe he'll realize he was in the wrong on this one.

"Get to the Rose Bowl and get back to me", just said on KFAN.

Barrerio ripped on me

If you haven't figured it out, I write the Gophers Shack over at twincities.com. Dan Barrerio had some harsh words about my opinion of the Gophers coverage in some of the media. I think it's great that he was engaged in what I had to say.

Looking back, he was right about a few things. But I'm just a fan who works at the Pioneer Press. I don't do the journalism for the Gophers or write the columns. I'll leave that up to Marcus Fuller, Tom Powers, Shooter and other PiPress staffers. I also want you to know that none of my comments are published in the newspaper. Only on a fan blog at twincities.com.

Looking back, I think Brewster's ban on KFAN is a bad move. It's bad PR, but you can read more if you want at the Gophers Shack

If you want to listen, here's the link. It's about halfway through.

I see the ratings you posted...those might be old...Arbitron is no longer used to generate those ratings...People Meters, which are more accurate, are now the technology in place for that...and those reports come out almost every week...what you're failing to recognize is: a) there are actually more people than that listening over the course of a week (too long an explanation on this, but asking you to trust me on that) and b) not everyone in the state (the 4.5 mil. you cited) cares about sports (for my career sake wish they all did, but most don't)... KFAN reaches a certain demographic...the 18-54 yr old male, research showing that the most affluent males in the metro listen to KFAN, every sports team wants to reach those individuals.

My, how clever you are!! Here's some advice, look up the word 'demographic' before you post anymore overall ratings.

Arbitron was from this last August, so you are wrong. Aribitron uses the same exact type meters and basically the same software to gauge listenership. In fact, I listed what they call their People Meter ratings. In fact, I think the PM are a product, not a service.

KFAN was ranked 18th by People Meters in July 09 with a 2.1 share, 0.5 share lower than Arbitron's August 09.

For all you goofballs that are FIXATED on demographics, in the 25-54 year old group, KFART "leaps" up to 14th place with a 3.1 share.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/20...the_personal_people_meters_july_radio_ratings

Get over it--they are a non-factor, no matter how hard you want them to be one.

If you haven't figured it out, I write the Gophers Shack over at twincities.com. Dan Barrerio had some harsh words about my opinion of the Gophers coverage in some of the media. I think it's great that he was engaged in what I had to say.

Looking back, he was right about a few things. But I'm just a fan who works at the Pioneer Press. I don't do the journalism for the Gophers or write the columns. I'll leave that up to Marcus Fuller, Tom Powers, Shooter and other PiPress staffers. I also want you to know that none of my comments are published in the newspaper. Only on a fan blog at twincities.com.

Looking back, I think Brewster's ban on KFAN is a bad move. It's bad PR, but you can read more if you want at the Gophers Shack...

I read the Gopher Shack and thoroughly enjoy it. Thanks to you for writing it and the Pioneer Press for putting it online.:clap::clap:

At the end of the PA show, they announced that there was a "miscommunication". There is no ban from interviewing with KFAN. I'm sure they will turn it into the U that is at fault.

There was a good email that Common read that someone wanted them to explain more in detail of what was exactly said since they spent 3 hours on it. Sounds to me that KFAN was overblowing something minor.

There has to be more to this story.

I see both sides to a certain extent. Sure, the Fan isnt nearly as homerific as they are toward other teams in town. They dont devote nearly the time either. I wish they had more people who either had a connection to the U, or were more positive toward the Gophs.

I see Brewster's point that he wants more positive stuff to come out of his program. He wants those guys to be on the bandwagon, and they are not.

I just dont think shutting them out is the answer. Build a relationship with them and then you will see positive results. Its easier to slam someone you have never met than it is to slam a perfect stranger (though you could say the same about this board, particularly a few years back).

All that being said, the common man and Barriero are nothing more than shock jocks who go for cheap thrills. I do think that there are folks who work at KFAN who seem agreeable to having a weekly spot with a player or coach. Just realize that this is not the SEC where college football is king in every market and there are TV shows that focus on just recruiting for an hour a week. If the Gophers win the national championship they will be at best a top 3 team in the local sports market. Look at the Gopher hockey team, they are good, usually one of the top 10 in the nation, and they get little press. You have to look to find it.

I think both parties need to take a step back and a deep breath and reevaluate their stances.

But, in the end, I will say the same thing that I wrote on this post...there has to be more to this than we know.

But does that mean the Gophers have to take it? Again, I don't agree with Brewster's decision but your logic is irrelevant. If you're 10 years old, ugly, smelly, and downright hideous to look at, are you going to accept the teasing from your classmates on the playground simply because they're right?

Take your ball and go home? That's your logic?

Having Cosgrove go on KFAN yesterday is nothing but a 100 percent, absolute positive. there you go...positive coverage that the U created itself on the hated KFAN.

Adam Weber on KFAN on Thursday...there you go...positive coverage that the U created itself on the hated KFAN.

Beat Cal and Coach Brew goes on KFAN on Monday....there you go...positive coverage that the U created itself on the hated KFAN.

BE PROACTIVE IS THE LOGIC. Lose 55-0 to Iowa.....get Brew on with Barreiro the following week to talk about how/why that happened and what will be done next.

Yho Doogie

"KFAN reaches a certain demographic...the 18-54 yr old male, research showing that the most affluent males in the metro listen to KFAN, every sports team wants to reach those individuals."

Research showing the most affluent males listen? Are all 77,000 listeners millionaires, season ticket holders to more than one team, what is affluent? Explain how you got that info. 18-54 demographic is too wide. 18-35, 36-50 would break in a completely diffent direction. But you cannot agrue with the fact, hardly anyone listens. 2.2 in this market is bearly listened to. You are not going to tell us, that KFAN comes anywhere close to KQRS in listeners, throughout the day? And even with WCCO under some of the worst management, still doubles the listeners of KFAN. When you double or quadruple listeners you are reaching a larger audience, and therefore more affluent people. When you look at all the options and KFAN is last how is that good? And one more thing, after 5 PM what is the radiated power, 50 watts?

KFAN is notorious for welcoming callers and guests with the intent to rip them for programming minutes.

Bottom line, who listens to that inane banter? 18-35.

"KFAN reaches a certain demographic...the 18-54 yr old male, research showing that the most affluent males in the metro listen to KFAN, every sports team wants to reach those individuals."

Research showing the most affluent males listen? Are all 77,000 listeners millionaires, season ticket holders to more than one team, what is affluent? Explain how you got that info. 18-54 demographic is too wide. 18-35, 36-50 would break in a completely diffent direction. But you cannot agrue with the fact, hardly anyone listens. 2.2 in this market is bearly listened to. You are not going to tell us, that KFAN comes anywhere close to KQRS in listeners, throughout the day? And even with WCCO under some of the worst management, still doubles the listeners of KFAN. When you double or quadruple listeners you are reaching a larger audience, and therefore more affluent people. When you look at all the options and KFAN is last how is that good? And one more thing, after 5 PM what is the radiated power, 50 watts?

KFAN is notorious for welcoming callers and guests with the intent to rip them for programming minutes.

Bottom line, who listens to that inane banter? 18-35.

:)No matter how you try slice it or dice it almost no one cares what KFAN says about anything, except the few that listen...:)

In the key demographic, in other words, the money-making demographic, MEN 25-54, the FAN does very well...you are looking at PERSONS 25-54....look at MEN (don't know if David has those #s)....
As for that info., I worked there for 12-years...a lot of time and funds goes into figuring out not only who is listening, but what kind of person they are...KFAN, from a revenue standpoint, outside of the recent economic issues that have hit every media entity, does very well.

BTW, I've yet to see PA here at Winter Park, if I do, will try to glean more insight...did receive a voice mail from someone at the "U" saying that this was a complete misunderstanding....they are in damage control mode, but at least the issue, as I've been told, has been fixed.

BTW, I've yet to see PA here at Winter Park, if I do, will try to glean more insight...did receive a voice mail from someone at the "U" saying that this was a complete misunderstanding....they are in damage control mode, but at least the issue, as I've been told, has been fixed.

Typical KFAN underhanded slight comment, probably learned at the feet of the bald headed Buddha of KFAN Dan Barriero. Of course it was the U's fault, it couldn't have been that Koko the buffoon was getting bad info.

In the key demographic, in other words, the money-making demographic, MEN 25-54, the FAN does very well...you are looking at PERSONS 25-54....look at MEN (don't know if David has those #s)....
As for that info., I worked there for 12-years...a lot of time and funds goes into figuring out not only who is listening, but what kind of person they are...KFAN, from a revenue standpoint, outside of the recent economic issues that have hit every media entity, does very well.

In better times there was a lot of money to be made on pimping products like penis enlargement pills, boner pills, hair re-growth formulas, make your-kid listen to you without smacking them around programs, and make-your-boy-taller pills.

The profile of the KFAN listener is aparently a fat, bald, impotent, poorly-endowed middle age man who is attempting to vicariously relive his childhood through his son (who he would like to be a bit taller).

And to think that marketing to the men of my father's generation used to mean selling smokes and beer. I weep for the future:cry:.

Typical KFAN underhanded slight comment, probably learned at the feet of the bald headed Buddha of KFAN Dan Barriero. Of course it was the U's fault, it couldn't have been that Koko the buffoon was getting bad info.

Jeebus you are a homer. What possible gain would KFan get from orchestrating this rumor?

It is not the job of the radio station to provide positive coverage.
Nope. But if they choose to only provide negative coverage, it's not going to help their cause either. Who's more likely to get access to Obama: Rush Limbaugh or Jon Stewart? You've got to know where your bread is buttered. If KFAN wants access to the Gophers they're going to have to play ball, so to speak.

I was going to post on here that this was a mistake by Brewster but after thinking about it, I'm not going to.

To get straight to my point, KFAN cannot do any more PR damage than they already do to the gophers. In other words, KFAN was overly negative before this happened and they will be overly negative now.

I don't see KFAN making a long term commitment to be postive, or even objective, about the gophers no matter what their record is. They have no reason to. KFAN would much rather focus on an 0-16 Vikings team than a 12-0 gophers team. Nothing is going to change that IMHO.

Jeebus you are a homer. What possible gain would KFan get from orchestrating this rumor?

A complete day of programming material, two multi-page threads on Gopherhole.com and a 4+ page thread on Gopherillustrated.com talking about KFAN? :D

I wonder if there ever was a real "ban". KFAN may not be lying, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were correct either.

Even the Gophers' home opener didn't get as much coverage as this is getting today LOL. Even Common has spent forever on it. It's been pretty much 5 straight hours of consistent Gophers attention. Can't argue that lol.

Arbitron was from this last August, so you are wrong. Aribitron uses the same exact type meters and basically the same software to gauge listenership. In fact, I listed what they call their People Meter ratings. In fact, I think the PM are a product, not a service.

KFAN was ranked 18th by People Meters in July 09 with a 2.1 share, 0.5 share lower than Arbitron's August 09.

For all you goofballs that are FIXATED on demographics, in the 25-54 year old group, KFART "leaps" up to 14th place with a 3.1 share.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/20...the_personal_people_meters_july_radio_ratings

Get over it--they are a non-factor, no matter how hard you want them to be one.

If you look at the most releveant numbers from your own link -- MEN 25-54 -- KFAN is is #3 in afternoon drive (best among talk stations) and #7 in morning drive.

Even the Gophers' home opener didn't get as much coverage as this is getting today LOL. Even Common has spent forever on it. It's been pretty much 5 straight hours of consistent Gophers attention. Can't argue that lol.

It's making it look like a genius move. Can't get an interview, so it's "please, please, please give us an interview!!!!" Then the U can so "Well, if it means that much to you, ok..."

Top Bottom