Brewster bans KFAN interviews for Players and Coaches

- They haven't been banned from covering the Gophers, just no exclusive interviews. PA can go on all week about how "this Gopher or that Gopher" can't be on the show. They can if they're interviewed during Press Conferences right? That would mean that KFAN would actually have to attend those Conferences. That has been quite a burden for them in the past.

- Barreiro is going to have a field day with this? The Spaniard is going to go after them for this? The guy who wished the Gophers "would get crushed"? The guy who talked about the Gopher's victory against Syracuse as "embarrassing". The Spaniard doesn't need any reason to go after the Gophers, he does it everyday anyway.

- Even when they have a Gopher player on they proceed to rip them as soon as they get off the station.

- PA's attempt to have a "Gopher hour" was filled with his asking nearly every caller 'did you bring batteries for the calculators". Yeah, that's a real Gopher hour!

All said and done not having a Gopher player or coach on any KFAN show from 9 to 6 isn't causing any trouble. Keeping them off "Power Trip Morning Show" probably isn't such a good idea.

Oh, Paul Allen just said he "loved" Coach John Anderson and that he's had him on the show many times but "I haven't met him" - Yep, Paul's a BIG Gopher fan!

Many times when the took calls, when the got people who wanted to talk about the Gophers, they acted very put upon, like it was unreasonable that someome might be interested in the Gophers.

- They haven't been banned from covering the Gophers, just no exclusive interviews. PA can go on all week about how "this Gopher or that Gopher" can't be on the show. They can if there interviewed during Press Conferences right? That would mean that KFAN would actually have to attend those Conferences. That has been quite a burden for them in the past.

- Barreiro is going to have a field day with this? The Spaniard is going to go after them for this? The guy who wished the Gophers "would get crushed"? The guy who talked about the Gopher's victory against Syracuse as "embarrassing". The Spaniard doesn't need any reason to go after the Gophers, he does it everyday anyway.

- Even when they have a Gopher payer on they proceed to rip them as soon as they get off the station.

- PA's attempt to have a "Gopher hour" was filled with his asking nearly every caller 'did you bring batteries for the calculators". Yeah, that's a real Gopher hour!

All said and done not having a Gopher player or coach on any KFAN show from 9 to 6 isn't causing any trouble. Keeping them off "Morning Show" probably isn't such a good idea.

Oh, Paul Allen just said he "loved" Coach John Anderson and that he's had him on the show many times but "I haven't met him" - Yep, Paul's a BIG Gopher fan!

+1

I also think that becaseu PA and KFan have the "bully pulpit" they are going to overdo this and Brewster will do an end-around on them

The problem I have with all the "Brewster really screwed up" posts is that you are assuming that everything said by PA is true... PA never tells the whole truth about htis kind of stuff...he just spins it and spins it. He only has his best interests at heart...

- They haven't been banned from covering the Gophers, just no exclusive interviews. PA can go on all week about how "this Gopher or that Gopher" can't be on the show. They can if they're interviewed during Press Conferences right? That would mean that KFAN would actually have to attend those Conferences. That has been quite a burden for them in the past.

- Even when they have a Gopher player on they proceed to rip them as soon as they get off the station.

All said and done not having a Gopher player or coach on any KFAN show from 9 to 6 isn't causing any trouble. Keeping them off "Morning Show" probably isn't such a good idea.

And now in addition to the nonsense you list above the KFAN personalities can say that Brewster is a "child", "scared", "ducking them", etc. And any positive coverage they would have been practically forced to concede to the U for the short period (and there were already positive spots this week following the game) that Cosgrove or a player was on can now be replaced by even more negative programming. This move probably means the Gophers go from net negative coverage on KFAN to ALL negative coverage on KFAN. Again, if the Gophers had more support/coverage in the overall MN sports landscape I would applaud this move b/c the other outlets would drown out the nonsense. But they don't and to pretend otherwise is silly.

If the Gophers have a winning season and go to a decent bowl, whatever KFAN says will have no effect. If the Gophers have a losing season, KFAN is going to rip the program no matter how many coaches or players are on the station. It's sort of the way it works, but these folks aren't nearly as important, informative, or entertaining as they think.

You missed the point....JOHN ANDERSON HAS BEEN ON KFAN....where does Gopher baseball rank in this media market?

When J Robinson has a big meet that he's trying to pimp tickets for, PA (and back then Dubay) would have him on. Same with John Anderson and his tournament at the Dome. He had Lesnar and Vega on as well. Weekly interviews with gopher hockey players. Lucia on regularly. The golf coach for cripes sake.

None of that is good for ratings....but PA has been good to the U in those instances.

And yes, he had Decker on a couple of weeks ago and has not said ONE NEGATIVE THING about Eric Decker since.

Now by the grace of God, the Gophers upset No. 8 California at home (biggest home win since '77???) and everything discussed on Monday will be prefaced with no Gophers on KFAN...instead of hey great win (no gophs on KFAN), great stadium (no gophs on KFAN), great vibe (no gophs on KFAN), great atmosphere (no gophs on KFAN), national television (no gophs on KFAN) , etc

The problem I have with all the "Brewster really screwed up" posts is that you are assuming that everything said by PA is true... PA never tells the whole truth about htis kind of stuff...he just spins it and spins it. He only has his best interests at heart...

It doesn't matter whether its true. There is nothing to contradict him. In an information vacuum, the person with the loudest megaphone wins.

The only way the Brewster runs around KFAN on this is if the Gophers keep winning. That would give them more positive coverage in the other outlets that will drown out KFAN. And if that happens I'm glad to admit I'm wrong b/c this is the outcome I want. I want the Gophers to own a bigger chunk of the spotlight to the point where they can freeze out the KFAN's of the world. I'm just not a fan of doing before we have the wins to make it a success.

I've listened to KFAN for a long time. Back when Chad and Barreiro co-hosted, when Common Man was known as Dan Cole, and when Larry Fitzgerald Sr. and Eric Nelson had their show. In all the years I've been listening, the coverage regarding Gopher Football has been hands down more negative than positive. Doogie, you can reference all the positivity you want about P.A, the Fargo Flash segment, and many other examples of positivity. I don't dispute that they aren't present. However, the negativity far outweighs the few instances of positivity.

I don't know if I really agree with the decision the program has made here. I think they should probably just suck it up and deal with it. That being said, how much access is JoePa going to give a State College radio station who constantly rips the Nittany Lions? How many interviews do you think Jim Tressel is going to allow a Columbus radio station if they are continually bashing the Buckeyes? None because big time programs aren't going to put up with that.

In this case, I think Brewster is putting the cart before the horse. He wants the Minnesota football program to be big time like Penn St, Ohio St, etc. He probably thinks that those programs wouldn't put up with KFAN's behavior so he shouldn't either. The difference is, the Gopher program has to arrive first. It's kind of like what Crash Davis said to Nuke LaLouche in Bull Durham. "You have fungus on your shower shoes. If you win 20 games in the show, you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes because the press will think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show; however, it means you're a slob."

To make a long story short (too late), I do agree that it's a bad idea for Brewster to take this stance. However, I also believe KFAN has ownership in this as well. To try to say they haven't been over the top negative is ridiculous. Maybe the program hasn't generated a whole lot of reasons to be positive over the last couple of decades, but numerous on-air personalities have made it a habit to crack jokes, put down the program, ridicule Gopher fans calling into the show, etc. While I don't agree with Brewster here, I completely understand the motivation.

Now by the grace of God, the Gophers upset No. 8 California at home (biggest home win since '77???) and everything discussed on Monday will be prefaced with no Gophers on KFAN...instead of hey great win (no gophs on KFAN), great stadium (no gophs on KFAN), great vibe (no gophs on KFAN), great atmosphere (no gophs on KFAN), national television (no gophs on KFAN) , etc

Exactly.

For those of you saying Brew is thin skinned, please listen to PA right now. What a freaking baby! This guy is ranting on and on about this. What a complete d-bag. Instead of ranting about this maybe it would be a good idea for them to actually talk about why they think this was done and perhaps admitting to some of the things that Brewster is talking about. Instead, they are acting like they are totally innocent and can't understand why this would be done. They look stupid by not stepping back and taking a balanced look at the issue. Of course, why would they be balanced now when they've been negative 95% of the time when it comes to Gopher football. If their past coverage was 50% positive and 50% negative I would say this was a mistake on Brew's part. Considering thats not the case, I don't think its that big a deal. Win Saturday and shove this up their ass.

In this case, I think Brewster is putting the cart before the horse. He wants the Minnesota football program to be big time like Penn St, Ohio St, etc. He probably thinks that those programs wouldn't put up with KFAN's behavior so he shouldn't either. The difference is, the Gopher program has to arrive first. It's kind of like what Crash Davis said to Nuke LaLouche in Bull Durham. "You have fungus on your shower shoes. If you win 20 games in the show, you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes because the press will think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show; however, it means you're a slob."

To make a long story short (too late), I do agree that it's a bad idea for Brewster to take this stance. However, I also believe KFAN has ownership in this as well. To try to say they haven't been over the top negative is ridiculous. Maybe the program hasn't generated a whole lot of reasons to be positive over the last couple of decades, but numerous on-air personalities have made it a habit to crack jokes, put down the program, ridicule Gopher fans calling into the show, etc. While I don't agree with Brewster here, I completely understand the motivation.

This is where I am on the topic exactly. I'd love for this to be a good idea and I'm 100% behind the idea of it. But the timing isn't right.

Beautiful use of Bull Durham quote BTW. :)

For those of you saying Brew is thin skinned, please listen to PA right now. What a freaking baby! This guy is ranting on and on about this. What a complete d-bag. Instead of ranting about this maybe it would be a good idea for them to actually talk about why they think this was done and perhaps admitting to some of the things that Brewster is talking about. Instead, they are acting like they are totally innocent and can't understand why this would be done. They look stupid by not stepping back and taking a balanced look at the issue. Of course, why would they be balanced now when they've been negative 95% of the time when it comes to Gopher football. If their past coverage was 50% positive and 50% negative I would say this was a mistake on Brew's part. Considering thats not the case, I don't think its that big a deal. Win Saturday and shove this up their ass.

That's my point though. They have no motivation for balance and nothing to contradict them as they play the victim. They look stupid to hardcore fans, but to a casual fan their idiocy may not look quite as dumb. Most people who are casual fans and who know the recent history of the Gophers are just as likely to say "Well, I know KFAN has been negative but boy, I do think the Gophers deserve it sometimes. Seems like sour grapes from Brewster" or something similar to that.

When Brewster had his first press conference at the ceremony where he was hired, KFAN aired it, but <s>Commode</s> Common Man kept making mocking sound effects during it. This wasn't after the 1-11 season, this was literally from day 1. If you go hat in hand to the media, like KFAN wants, they control everything. It has to be a two-way street.

KFAN's coverage in regards to positivity/negativity has been equal to the Gophers' winning percentage...specifically, their Big Ten winning percentage.

KFAN's coverage in regards to positivity/negativity has been equal to the Gophers' winning percentage...specifically, their Big Ten winning percentage.
But does that mean the Gophers have to take it? Again, I don't agree with Brewster's decision but your logic is irrelevant. If you're 10 years old, ugly, smelly, and downright hideous to look at, are you going to accept the teasing from your classmates on the playground simply because they're right?

When Brewster had his first press conference at the ceremony where he was hired, KFAN aired it, but <s>Commode</s> Common Man kept making mocking sound effects during it. This wasn't after the 1-11 season, this was literally from day 1. If you go hat in hand to the media, like KFAN wants, they control everything. It has to be a two-way street.

He does this with every press conference, regardless of the team. This point is meaningless.

I agree, but I think the opening of TCF allowed for the closest thing the Gophers were going to get to a "two way street", at least as close as we'd get until we win more B10 games. Freezing out KFAN kills the limited amount of positivity.

I reached broken record territory about 17 posts ago so I'll quit. :) In the end, I don't disagree with the decision, just the timing. There is nothing I'd love more then to have the Gophs rattle off a few more W's, change the media climate, and make my opinion on this completely invalid.

You missed the point....JOHN ANDERSON HAS BEEN ON KFAN....where does Gopher baseball rank in this media market?

When J Robinson has a big meet that he's trying to pimp tickets for, PA (and back then Dubay) would have him on. Same with John Anderson and his tournament at the Dome. He had Lesnar and Vega on as well. Weekly interviews with gopher hockey players. Lucia on regularly. The golf coach for cripes sake.

None of that is good for ratings....but PA has been good to the U in those instances.

And yes, he had Decker on a couple of weeks ago and has not said ONE NEGATIVE THING about Eric Decker since.

Oh I got the point, it was just hard to miss the irony; overall you make some fair points. PA being a friend of non-revenue sports shouldn't be in dispute.

"All said and done not having a Gopher player or coach on any KFAN show from 9 to 6 isn't causing any trouble. Keeping them off "Power Trip Morning Show" probably isn't such a good idea."

Yep, I think keeping them off the Power trip is a bad idea. I still think it's been a communication error. Nobody from the University should have talked about a "ban".

I don't care what he does with other teams, the point is still valid. When there are major press conferences, people tune in to hear them, not to hear the Commode Man's sound effects.

The thing is, this decision comes at a time when the coverage wasn't (and wouldn't have been) all negative. There is very little of substance to be negative about which means that on matters of substance (team/stadium) the focus would have been at least moderately positive. This move makes it possible to ignore everything of substance and spend time bashing the decision to freeze out KFAN.
I'm not sure I follow. See my post in the "Brewster bans KFAN interviews for Players and Coaches" thread on this issue. I agree that it's not KFAN's job to provide positivity but it's not their job to provide negativity either. They chose to to do that. I'm saying, why are we surprised that Brewster doesn't like it, and is doing something about it?

KFAN has never cared about the U and it is obvious in the programming. If a team became National Champion potential they would have an interest, otherwise it is a one minute discusion. Losing KFAN is not the important issue here. Not allowing any media from a specific station is the problem and it just set's a bad precedent.

And now, KFAN is begging to get access to the Gophers. I suspect this will not last long. :D

I'm not sure I follow. See my post in the "Brewster bans KFAN interviews for Players and Coaches" thread on this issue. I agree that it's not KFAN's job to provide positivity but it's not their job to provide negativity either. They chose to to do that. I'm saying, why are we surprised that Brewster doesn't like it, and is doing something about it?

I'm not surprised. As I've noted in the other thread, I understand the feelings behind the move. I just think the timing sucks. Both 1) because (like you noted in the other thread) we're not a big enough program to get away with this (b/c there isn't enough other positive coverage to drown out KFAN) and 2) because there actually was some positive Gopher FB content appearing on KFAN and the new stadium guaranteed that this would continue for a while so long as the team didn't start completely stinking it up on the field.

I'm not surprised. As I've noted in the other thread, I understand the feelings behind the move. I just think the timing sucks. Both 1) because (like you noted in the other thread) we're not a big enough program to get away with this (b/c there isn't enough other positive coverage to drown out KFAN) and 2) because there actually was some positive Gopher FB content appearing on KFAN and the new stadium guaranteed that this would continue for a while so long as the team didn't start completely stinking it up on the field.
O.k. I see what you're saying. My point is more that I'm not surprised by the why (Brewster is sour on KFAN), I just don't agree with the what (choosing to not provide interviews).

And now, KFAN is begging to get access to the Gophers. I suspect this will not last long. :D

Yeah, this "ban" will be lifted very shortly IMO. Whether intentional or not, he's got PA begging to have a coach or player on the show and talking about the Gophers players (even if dissing Brewster) that no one never would have heard of if he hadn't done this. I mean, we had a Kenny Watkins mention, seriously?! Would Kenny Watkins, as much as I think he'll be a good player for us in the future, ever get a mention on PA's show if things were business as usual? I think not lol.

He does this with every press conference, regardless of the team. This point is meaningless.

Actually this post reiterates how second rate the sports media is. I can't believe people tolerate this.

O.k. I see what you're saying. My point is more that I'm not surprised by the why (Brewster is sour on KFAN), I just don't agree with the what (choosing to not provide interviews).

On this we are in total agreement.

As much as I hate the negativity KFAN has always given to the Gophers--I still listen at times because it's the only show in town. This wasn't very smart if true, but it isn't that big of a deal. At least we don't have to listen to Chad H. anymore--he was by far the biggest hater of them all. I was happy as can be when he was let go.

Top Bottom