Bowl Game Projections?

The B1G bowl selection process is very subjective and therefore nearly total BS. They fail to realize that objective placement makes the league stronger.

The bowl selection process should be as simple as overall record > 1st tie breaker conference record > 2nd tie breaker head to head > 3rd tie breaker record vs same conference teams. And then placed in bowls according to payout.

This year we were leaped by one team, Iowa, which isn’t as bad as PSU leaping three teams last year, but it still stings.
If it's by pure record, you are advocating for cupcakes to be scheduled before the big 10 starts

I despise that.

An 8-4 team didn't win enough games, so a team that went 7-5 'deserves' a better bowl game.
Three of those games for each team weren't even Big Ten games. And the Big Ten games they did play, aren't exactly the same either.

It's not a great counter-argument, especially when that team ... you know, beat us at our stadium straight up.

If it's by pure record, you are advocating for cupcakes to be scheduled before the big 10 starts

I despise that.
I see your point, but all teams schedule cupcakes. And at the end of the year, it’s the overall record that really matters. You can despise all you want, but that’s the way it is.

We didn't even play Maryland this year. And head-to-head didn't matter last year when Wisconsin and Purdue went to better bowl games despite losing to the Gophers.

"Deserve" has nothing to do with where these teams were slotted.
True.

But it still rests upon the team and its fanbase to change the attitude of these bowl selection committees towards our program.

For some reason or another, they look at the prospect of having to choose Minnesota to be in their bowls like they look at 4th day old leftovers in the fridge.

Many of us are disappointed by the missed opportunity this year. But the self-loathing over it is unbearable. It's like certain posters are happy that the team and our players are being punished.
Self-loathing?? Happy Gophers are being “punished?” Get over yourself. I’m not at all happy about the Gophers being in the toilet bowl in New York. The difference between you and I is that you are wrongly blaming the Big10 for the Gophers being there. The Gophers TOTALLY controlled the type of bowl, good or bad, that they would go to. They didn’t take care of business.

Three of those games for each team weren't even Big Ten games. And the Big Ten games they did play, aren't exactly the same either.

It's not a great counter-argument, especially when that team ... you know, beat us at our stadium straight up.

So head-to-head is all that matters.

Got it.

True.

But it still rests upon the team and its fanbase to change the attitude of these bowl selection committees towards our program.

For some reason or another, they look at the prospect of having to choose Minnesota to be in their bowls like they look at 4th day old leftovers in the fridge.

How do you propose the fanbase changes the perception of these bowl committees? Gophers sold out their allotment at the Outback Bowl. Attendance was almost identical to last year's game. I think the "Gophers don't travel" excuse is overplayed.

How do you propose the fanbase changes the perception of these bowl committees? Gophers sold out their allotment at the Outback Bowl. Attendance was almost identical to last year's game. I think the "Gophers don't travel" excuse is overplayed.

I haven't read all the comments yet on the Gophers placement, but was this outcome particularly surprising? Maryland to the Mayo Bowl seemed like a pretty logical destination given proximity. All the other teams that beat us were placed above us in the pecking order. Serious question -- why the outrage on here? (not from you necessarily)

In 2021 we beat Wisconsin 'straight up'. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin finished 9-4.

Badgers went to the Las Vegas Bowl, Gophers to the prestigious Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Self-loathing?? Happy Gophers are being “punished?” Get over yourself. I’m not at all happy about the Gophers being in the toilet bowl in New York. The difference between you and I is that you are wrongly blaming the Big10 for the Gophers being there. The Gophers TOTALLY controlled the type of bowl, good or bad, that they would go to. They didn’t take care of business.

You are angry that the team didn't meet your expectations. You think they deserve less than other teams. Shitty fan....in other words.

Let's just say this....in the previous seven years.....the Big Ten has sent five 6-6 teams and two 7-5 teams to the Pinstripe Bowl. The Gophers are the first 8-4 team that the Big Ten has sent. And I'm willing to bet that the Big Ten won't subject any other 8-4 Big Ten teams to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl either.

I haven't read all the comments yet on the Gophers placement, but was this outcome particularly surprising? Maryland to the Mayo Bowl seemed like a pretty logical destination given proximity. All the other teams that beat us were placed above us in the pecking order. Serious question -- why the outrage on here?

Teams getting better or worse bowl games based upon proximity is bullshit. Not to mention that it's still a seven hour drive from Maryland to Charlotte.

As for the head to head explanation. Gophers beat both Purdue and Wisconsin last year and ended with the same record both in total and in conference. Yet we fell below them in the pecking order anyways.

Ummmm.... maybe because we won more games than they did?

Just a guess on my part.
yep, they lost a tight one to Iowa State. Who were we playing that weekend?

Was it Western Illinois......LMAO

Teams getting better or worse bowl games based upon proximity is bullshit. Not to mention that it's still a seven hour drive from Maryland to Charlotte.

As for the head to head explanation. Gophers beat both Purdue and Wisconsin last year and ended with the same record both in total and in conference. Yet we fell below them in the pecking order anyways.

I think the Gophers had a much more legitimate complaint last year than they do this year, to be honest.

yep, they lost a tight one to Iowa State. Who were we playing that weekend?

Can't remember. I know we absolutely hammered mighty South Dakota State by a blowout score of 7-3.

Oh, wait... that wasn't us. My bad... that was Iowa.

And Iowa lost to a 4-8 Iowa State team, too... and lost to Nebraska. Crapped the bed in that game. Could have won the West, and couldn't beat Nebraska. SMH.

Can't remember. I know we absolutely hammered mighty South Dakota State by a blowout score of 7-3.

And Iowa lost to a 4-8 Iowa State team, too... and lost to Nebraska. Crapped the bed in that game. Could have won the West, and couldn't beat Nebraska. SMH.
It was Western Illinois!

We didn't crap the bed, though. You do have a point.

what if we would have beaten Iowa?

Yes, Iowa had the same conference record as us AND beat us in our stadium. As somebody else in this string said, if you want to be the man you’ve got to beat the man. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

Yes, Iowa had the same conference record as us AND beat us in our stadium. As somebody else in this string said, if you want to be the man you’ve got to beat the ma .

So it's head-to-head and conference record.

You think the committee sent Iowa to a better bowl than us because Iowa would have beaten Western Illinois?
No, I think they went 5-4 just like us and beat us.

Why do you think they did?

No, I think they went 5-4 just like us and beat us.

Why do you think they did?

So, it's conference record combined with head-to-head? Why did Wisconsin get Vegas in 2021, then?

Top Bottom