Best College Shooter

Thanks all. Great names, many of which I had forgotten.
My main memory of Mount was when our high school basketball team was at the Barn for our 1 game they brought us to each year (maybe 1969). Anyway Mount was on the right side of the lane near the free throw line and an errant shot was headed out of bounds near the right corner baseline. Mount ran and got the ball and in 1 motion, as he was now well out of bounds, fired up a shot that went over the corner of the backboard and - nothing but net. We went nuts.

Fletcher Magee was unreal. Sucks he had a bad game against Kentucky but that Wofford team could've done some damage in the tournament.

He did the following without the 3:
  • First all-time on the NCAA DI men's basketball career scoring list: 3,667 points
  • First, fourth, fifth all-time in most points scored in a single season: 1,381, 1,148, 1,138 points
  • First, second, third all-time in scoring average in a season: 44.5, 44.2, 43.8 points per game
  • First all-time in career scoring average: 44.2 points per game
To consider how remarkable of a scorer "Pistol" Pete Maravich was, you have to consider NCAA rules at the time:
No 3 point shot
No freshmen players
No shot clock....a lot of time consuming stalling (see 1976 Indiana's 4 corner offense with 7 minutes remaining in games)

Rick Mount. His mechanics were so smooth, you didn't realize how long some of his shots were. If he would have had the 3-point line, his scoring average would have gone up another 30-40%.

some info from Wiki: check out the last line....

In his senior year, Mount had two 53-point games plus a 61-point game against conference champ Iowa, which was the NCAA Division I single-game record at the time. Thirty-two of his 61 points were scored in the first half alone. Later research found that if the three-point line had existed in 1970 in the NCAA, he would have scored 74 points in that game, credited with 13 three-point field goals. The official school record is ten, held by Carsen Edwards.

Leading Purdue to an 18-6 season, he averaged 35.4 points a game and took second straight First Team All-American and Big Ten Player Of The Year honors. Mount left as the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,323 points throughout only three varsity seasons.

Mount scored in double figures for 72 consecutive games while scoring 30-plus points in 46 of those games. Both remain school records.

Mount never received a national player of the year award. He finished behind UCLA's Lew Alcindor and LSU's Pete Maravich.

The late 60's and early 70's were an amazing time for college hoops.
The three M's Maravich, Mount and Murphy. Maravich didn't shoot as well as Mount, but scored it more.

I've seen a lot of bad shooting last few years and Gophers have been ugly at times, especially on the road. It started me thing about the best college shooters I've ever seen.

Dating myself, but think it was Rick Mount of Purdue for me. It was 50 some years ago so maybe my memory only recalls the positive but he seemed to make from everywhere. Pistol Pete right up there too.

Your thoughts?

The obvious answer to me is -

David Mutaf

To consider how remarkable of a scorer "Pistol" Pete Maravich was, you have to consider NCAA rules at the time:
No 3 point shot
No freshmen players
No shot clock....a lot of time consuming stalling (see 1976 Indiana's 4 corner offense with 7 minutes remaining in games)
Did you mean UNC ? That '76 Indiana team was a offensive and defensive powerhouse. As for shooters. Maravich was a incredible scorer but shot at 43% , less from deep. Rick Mount was at 48 %,Larry Bird was over 50 %. Reddick could go on a tear but at 43 % and 40 % not unreal. Alford was ridiculous . Over 54 % and over 53 % for the one year he had the 3. Tony Bennett was at .497 from three. That is the all time college record. Best i saw at Williams was a Scott Skiles game.

Did you mean UNC ? That '76 Indiana team was a offensive and defensive powerhouse.
No......Undefeated IU National Championship team
Buckner, Benson, Wilkerson, Abernathy, and May......32-0

Did you mean UNC ? That '76 Indiana team was a offensive and defensive powerhouse. As for shooters. Maravich was a incredible scorer but shot at 43% , less from deep. Rick Mount was at 48 %,Larry Bird was over 50 %. Reddick could go on a tear but at 43 % and 40 % not unreal. Alford was ridiculous . Over 54 % and over 53 % for the one year he had the 3. Tony Bennett was at .497 from three. That is the all time college record. Best i saw at Williams was a Scott Skiles game.

I was going to mention Scott Skiles. I must have been at the same game. A few steps over mid court and he was in range. Went something like 14-18 from deep.

Jake Sullivan from Tartan and Iowa St. was legendary from deep. I played a lot with him at Lifetime- you had to pick him up at half court, something no one wants to do playing pickup.

Blake Hoffarber was as good as any I've seen besides Steph Curry or Jimmer Fredette. Who was the kid from Wofford a few years back that was nearly automatic?

Best i saw at Williams was a Scott Skiles game.
At Minnesota ('86), Skiles made 20 of 28 field-goal attempts and all five free throws, for 45 points, and had nine rebounds and four assists. He would have been over 50 with three pointers. Best game by an opponent I've seen at Williams. Gophs won 76-71. Good stuff that day.

Found this on Wiki -

It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game.[15][16]

BTW - Feb 21, 1970. LSU vs Kentucky.

Kentucky won 121 to 105. (in regulation)

Maravich had 64 for LSU.
Dan Issel had 51 for Kentucky.

back then, the goal was to score as many points as possible. the theory was that "if we score 100, you have to score 101 to beat us."

then in the 70's, coaches like Bobby Knight began to stress defense, and the whole philosophy swung around until it became "If we hold you to 50, we only need to score 51 to win."

No......Undefeated IU National Championship team
Buckner, Benson, Wilkerson, Abernathy, and May......32-0
[/QUOTE
That team did not run 4 corners, i know the players. Not personally but i saw them 3 times in 75 when they were just as good but lost May to injury and 7 times in '76. They ran motion and ran ! I studied that team endlessly because Knight came close to teaching perfection. UNC ran four corners even with Phil Ford and even had a 7-0 score at halftime. He ran it against Marquette and threw away the national title.

Found this on Wiki -

It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game.[15][16]

BTW - Feb 21, 1970. LSU vs Kentucky.

Kentucky won 121 to 105. (in regulation)

Maravich had 64 for LSU.
Dan Issel had 51 for Kentucky.

back then, the goal was to score as many points as possible. the theory was that "if we score 100, you have to score 101 to beat us."

then in the 70's, coaches like Bobby Knight began to stress defense, and the whole philosophy swung around until it became "If we hold you to 50, we only need to score 51 to win."
Knight 70's yeams won with defense and offense. Look at all the scores. Programs that could not match talent began to devise ways to beat the better teams and it started with defense and was proven true as the only way to win consistently was with lock down defense. They metric proved that to be true. Then some of those got more gifted players and got historically good on offense to match their defense and won titles, got to final 4's. They figured out when you were great in ppp on both ends you could go on streaks of winning 65 of 70 games. Study Knights teams, he was a genius offensively and defensively. The scores and metrics were incredible. Was there even one single 51-50 game in 75 or 76 ? later he had Isiah, look at their scores.

Ray Allen

But the best shooter ever is....

Joey Chitwood! Did he ever miss?
Joey Chitwood sucked. His more talented and aloof brother Jimmy Chitwood, however...

Joey Chitwood sucked. His more talented and aloof brother Jimmy Chitwood, however...
Wasn’t Joey a race car and car thrill show owner and driver. Probably didn’t shoot hoops much on the circuit.

The crowd chanted ‘birdsong’s nuts’. Then he went and died.

Some of the better pure shooters in the big ten the last decade

Hoffbarber
Jon Diebler of OSU
Zach Novak of Michigan
Evan Smotrycz of Michigan/Maryland
Freshman Gabe
Ryan Cline of Purdue
Joe Weiskamp of Iowa
CJ Frederick of Iowa
Sasha Stefonivich of Purdue
Dakota Mathias of Purdue

Of course you also have guys like Carsen Edwards and Marcus Carr but those guys are more than just pure shooters and thus a different category.

Steve Alford and JJ Redick are the two that immediately came to my mind.

The guy was a maniac. Anything across half court was in his range, he believed. Can't remember how good the Hawkeyes were in his day, but he had to have frustrated the coach with his gunning, quite a few of which went in.
When I was in high school I went to a party in Iowa City he was at and ended up drinking some beers and smoking some heaters with him. He was a maniac off the court too.

After the whistle? Gabe Kalscheur. Currently shooting 100% this year with 35 made 3s.
Not ripping, truly curious...I coached high school basketball state championship successful...boys and girls...over several years...Never had a shooter who shot air balls. People who can’t shoot so well....sure.
Taught kids well enough that it was online and just a case of distance. But if it was off...it still hit the rim.
I have never seen a guy shoot so many air balls and not just miss everything by a couple inches. Gabe is sometimes off by five feet!! How is this possible? And it’s all over the place. I have not taped a game to see his shot mechanics but I don’t see live why it’s so crazy inconsistent. ( Auto correct wanted to go with inconsiderate....lol it is that too....doesn’t he realize people watching the game are subjected to having to witness that shot attempt?)

For the last 10 minutes of ONE game...Brandon Johnson.
Voshon had some games.

Not ripping, truly curious...I coached high school basketball state championship successful...boys and girls...over several years...Never had a shooter who shot air balls. People who can’t shoot so well....sure.
Taught kids well enough that it was online and just a case of distance. But if it was off...it still hit the rim.
I have never seen a guy shoot so many air balls and not just miss everything by a couple inches. Gabe is sometimes off by five feet!! How is this possible? And it’s all over the place. I have not taped a game to see his shot mechanics but I don’t see live why it’s so crazy inconsistent. ( Auto correct wanted to go with inconsiderate....lol it is that too....doesn’t he realize people watching the game are subjected to having to witness that shot attempt?)

I've been watching basketball my entire life, game after game after game. No one can miss as badly as Gabe and in the next sentence be called a "shooter" by the announcers. He has 3s from the corner land outside the paint. He hits the side of the back board more than most 5th graders.

I record every game and (usually) rewatch them. I'll pay attention to it but I think when he misses really badly its his legs. On the 3 he missed against Michigan (not the first one that may have been tipped) his right leg was bent in super weird, like it was unstable. Will try to take a pic of it and post but have to find it and figure out how to post pics.

Please post a video of ALL of Gabe’s shots hitting the SIDE of the backboard and those 5-FEET offline ... I’d be interested in seeing how many there really are that you can truly document.

Gabe has struggled shooting for a while now, but I don’t recall the level of misses you are talking about.

I’ll wait for the video because the hyper-ventilating on this board has been pretty impressive.

Also, maybe create a video of each players weaknesses on offense and defense ... those defense ones will be a real beauties.

Of course I’m kidding, but i find it rather funny that as a freshman Gabe had a HUGE impact on us making the NCAA tournament and winning an NCAA game.

Of course NCAA appearances and NCAA wins are so common here that it’s really not note worthy I guess.

I guess the good part is that
what decade?

A little before Rick Mount, Jimmy Rayl, Indiana University, was a long shot shooting marvel.

Danny Ferry sure didn't look like an athlete and didn't have a pure stroke, but he could hit from anywhere on the court and in clutch moments.

Did anybody already mention Bo Kimble? He had some 50+ point games IIRC.

Top Bottom