Best College Shooter

TNGophfan

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of bad shooting last few years and Gophers have been ugly at times, especially on the road. It started me thing about the best college shooters I've ever seen.

Dating myself, but think it was Rick Mount of Purdue for me. It was 50 some years ago so maybe my memory only recalls the positive but he seemed to make from everywhere. Pistol Pete right up there too.

Your thoughts?

Best I saw in person (meaning how they shot in the games I attended): Shawn Respert MSU. Dude killed us in the Barn from what I remember.

I wasn't around for Rick Mount, but I sure remember scoring machine Chris Jackson from LSU.

Dating myself, but think it was Rick Mount of Purdue for me. It was 50 some years ago so maybe my memory only recalls the positive but he seemed to make from everywhere. Pistol Pete right up there too.
I've got a friend who's really into Purdue basketball, and he always says Steve Ried (sp?) was their best pure shooter, that is unless Bobby Knight was throwing chairs at him.

Chris Kingsbury if we want a Big Ten name.

Steph Curry is we are talking anyone.

JJ Reddick and Adam Morrison were quite the sight the see at the same time. Also Curry was unbelievable, one coach even decided to double team him a whole game, he sat in the corner while Davidson played 4 on 3 to win the game, Curry scoreless

Chris Kingsbury if we want a Big Ten name.

Steph Curry is we are talking anyone.

The guy was a maniac. Anything across half court was in his range, he believed. Can't remember how good the Hawkeyes were in his day, but he had to have frustrated the coach with his gunning, quite a few of which went in.

The guy was a maniac. Anything across half court was in his range, he believed. Can't remember how good the Hawkeyes were in his day, but he had to have frustrated the coach with his gunning, quite a few of which went in.

First Gopher game I attended was @ The Barn against Iowa. I swear on my life he was pulling up from in front of his coach. Endless range.

I’m more of a gopher basketball fan than college basketball fan. But the 4 guys I remember for simply wrecking the nation with their shooting are:

steph curry
JJ reddick
Jimmer
Salim Staudamire

Add Doug McDermott and Jimmer Fredette to this list. Effortless shooters from anywhere.

Against the Gophers? I remember Kirk Penney being a thorn in our side in the early 2000's.

Lots of good names here. Let me add Mark Price to the list. He was one of the first guys I thought of as a scoring point guard. Great back court combination with Bruce Dalrymple who was a ferocious defender

Ray Allen

But the best shooter ever is....

Jimmy Chitwood! Did he ever miss?

Last edited:

Lots of good names here. Let me add Mark Price to the list. He was one of the first guys I thought of as a scoring point guard. Great back court combination with Bruce Dalrymple who was a ferocious defender
I used to play pickup ball with like 15-20 guys. Only like 2 of whom I actually knew. First time I played I shot better than any other time in my life and for the next 2 years all the guys I didn’t know just called me mark price

Ray Allen

But the best shooter ever is....

Joey Chitwood! Did he ever miss?

Funny. They were just talking about hoosiers on the pitino coach's show as richard said they should avg at least 2.5 passes every time down the floor. Grimm asked if he insisted on passes like Norman Dale. Pitino said no but is worried with all the wine his wife is drinking due to covid isolation that she might wander onto the court like Shooter.

I used to play pick-up at Target Center during lunch. Played with McHale, Saunders, KG and Randy Wittman. Also a couple of Twins pitchers.

None of those guys missed open shots. Saunders drained everything inside half-court unguarded. You had to be on them or pushing them off balance for them to miss.

BTW, Really fun watching Saunders and Wittman challenge KG to a three point shooting contest. Those two must have made at least 30 in a row from NBA distance.

Funny. They were just talking about hoosiers on the pitino coach's show as richard said they should avg at least 2.5 passes every time down the floor. Grimm asked if he insisted on passes like Norman Dale. Pitino said no but is worried with all the wine his wife is drinking due to covid isolation that she might wander onto the court like Shooter.
I wanted Pitino gone two years ago but I really like him. Want him to win because I think he has the perfect personality for this market. If he can start having his range of finishes in conference be 1-9th instead of 4th-13th he could coach here forever.

He is a great quote and interview for this market. He is the only gopher coach I’ve seen that seems to be well liked personally by people in the local media (even if they are critical of basketball results)

Rick Mount. His mechanics were so smooth, you didn't realize how long some of his shots were. If he would have had the 3-point line, his scoring average would have gone up another 30-40%.

some info from Wiki: check out the last line....

In his senior year, Mount had two 53-point games plus a 61-point game against conference champ Iowa, which was the NCAA Division I single-game record at the time. Thirty-two of his 61 points were scored in the first half alone. Later research found that if the three-point line had existed in 1970 in the NCAA, he would have scored 74 points in that game, credited with 13 three-point field goals. The official school record is ten, held by Carsen Edwards.

Leading Purdue to an 18-6 season, he averaged 35.4 points a game and took second straight First Team All-American and Big Ten Player Of The Year honors. Mount left as the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,323 points throughout only three varsity seasons.

Mount scored in double figures for 72 consecutive games while scoring 30-plus points in 46 of those games. Both remain school records.

Mount never received a national player of the year award. He finished behind UCLA's Lew Alcindor and LSU's Pete Maravich.

The late 60's and early 70's were an amazing time for college hoops.

Rick Mount. His mechanics were so smooth, you didn't realize how long some of his shots were. If he would have had the 3-point line, his scoring average would have gone up another 30-40%.

some info from Wiki: check out the last line....

In his senior year, Mount had two 53-point games plus a 61-point game against conference champ Iowa, which was the NCAA Division I single-game record at the time. Thirty-two of his 61 points were scored in the first half alone. Later research found that if the three-point line had existed in 1970 in the NCAA, he would have scored 74 points in that game, credited with 13 three-point field goals. The official school record is ten, held by Carsen Edwards.

Leading Purdue to an 18-6 season, he averaged 35.4 points a game and took second straight First Team All-American and Big Ten Player Of The Year honors. Mount left as the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,323 points throughout only three varsity seasons.

Mount scored in double figures for 72 consecutive games while scoring 30-plus points in 46 of those games. Both remain school records.

Mount never received a national player of the year award. He finished behind UCLA's Lew Alcindor and LSU's Pete Maravich.

The late 60's and early 70's were an amazing time for college hoops.

I think if Maravich had a 3 point like he would have averaged over 50ppg one season

I think if Maravich had a 3 point like he would have averaged over 50ppg one season
He did the following without the 3:
  • First all-time on the NCAA DI men's basketball career scoring list: 3,667 points
  • First, fourth, fifth all-time in most points scored in a single season: 1,381, 1,148, 1,138 points
  • First, second, third all-time in scoring average in a season: 44.5, 44.2, 43.8 points per game
  • First all-time in career scoring average: 44.2 points per game

I think that we should also give props to the Goph's Trent Tucker who was aroudn from 78-79 season to the 81-82 Big Ten Chmpsp season. He seldom shot from closer than 18 feet, would really have had a high average ppg if there had been a 3 point shot while he played. As it was, he was not always the focus of the offense when he was here (granted, he was one of the focuses) because the team had McHale at first and Randy Bruer later.......

Last edited:

Top Bottom