Bateman to Baltimore, Ravens Take Elite Receiver in First Round - U of MN Press Release

Fleck is fine for a program with such a limited fan base. Because of the Vikings, he's got to "market" the program with gimmicks like RTB. That's fine.

In a lot of ways, he's like the HC at Iowa State. Fans are craving for a good football team. The 2019 season gave Gopher fans hope. And by reading this board, PJ gets a pass for 2020.

But until he starts beating the Badgers and the Hawkeyes, there will be skeptics like me.,
He has done this once already, which is a huge step forward compared to the 14 years of losses that preceded it. I also firmly believe we would have beat them last year had our kicking situation not been so dire.

Beating I-O-W-A at Iowa City would be a big deal to me. There's a whole generation of Hawks that have never experienced that.

'Bout time for them to see that happen...maybe this is the year?

Beating I-O-W-A at Iowa City would be a big deal to me. There's a whole generation of Hawks that have never experienced that.

'Bout time for them to see that happen...maybe this is the year?
I would approve of that.

But until he starts beating the Badgers and the Hawkeyes, there will be skeptics like me.,
I am confused. You are not impressed by PJ and state that you are a skeptic of his based on performance, but at the same time you were a fan of Glen Mason and his tenure? Can you help me reconcile those statements?

OSU might be losing a WR transfer to Bama. Don't remember his name, just saw it on the headline for 247.

I am confused. You are not impressed by PJ and state that you are a skeptic of his based on performance, but at the same time you were a fan of Glen Mason and his tenure? Can you help me reconcile those statements?
Mason arrived after a Wacker disaster and the Gophs had experienced 6 consecutive losing seasons. Fleck arrived the year after the Gophs won 9 games and a program with plenty of talent. Both have relatively similar winning percentage while HC here.

Mason did better based on what he inherited.

He has done this once already, which is a huge step forward compared to the 14 years of losses that preceded it. I also firmly believe we would have beat them last year had our kicking situation not been so dire.
Fleck is 1-7 against Iowa and Wisky. Fact! No excuses.

What do you mean he gets a pass? Define what a pass means. I don’t think anyone believes we have arrived and are the class of the Big10 west at this point.
A good share of fans on this site have stated 2020 shouldn't count against PJ because of Covid. Every program in the country had to deal with Covid. That's giving a "pass".

Fans such as myself want to know if 2019 season was an "outlier" and the 15-17 record in his other three years is the norm?

2021 should provide the answer. Convince me otherwise.

A good share of fans on this site have stated 2020 shouldn't count against PJ because of Covid. Every program in the country had to deal with Covid. That's giving a "pass".

Fans such as myself want to know if 2019 season was an "outlier" and the 15-17 record in his other three years is the norm?

Or you can just disappear into the ether, kinda in the same way you just appeared and started to troll PJ in the last couple months.

How does 2021 provide the answer? The team can’t be good in 2022 or 2023 if they aren’t good in 2021?

Mason arrived after a Wacker disaster and the Gophs had experienced 6 consecutive losing seasons. Fleck arrived the year after the Gophs won 9 games and a program with plenty of talent. Both have relatively similar winning percentage while HC here.

Mason did better based on what he inherited.
Does it really matter what you inherited by like year 7,8,9,10?

How does 2021 provide the answer? The team can’t be good in 2022 or 2023 if they aren’t good in 2021?
Exactly, it's a long process and each season stands on its own. 2019 happened regardless of 2020. 2020 happened regardless of what happens in the next few years, and so on. People are so quick to put a judgment on everything it's crazy to me.

Rather than being in the past or quantifying the future, I prefer to be in the moment and at this moment I feel we have a very good football team. 2021 should be a fun year.

The Gophs will likely lose lots of talent after this season, specifically running back and receiver, and at this point there aren't any proven backups. Expecting some losses on the OLine, as well.

My biggest concern is whether Tanner Morgan can regain his old form because by any measure... he was pretty bad in 2020.

Anyone that doesn't think this season is important for the long term success of the team is ignoring the obvious, imo.

I apologize to those that think I'm being overly negative. I'm being realistic in how I view the team.

Blast away................

Or you can just disappear into the ether, kinda in the same way you just appeared and started to troll PJ in the last couple months.
So, if I don't "gush" over Fleck I'm trolling?

I've only been to a handful of Gopher games since I started following Gopher football in the Holtz days. Unfortunately, the program has gone through many HCs in that time. Maybe that's why I think Mason was better than most on this forum do?

I've only been to a handful of Gopher games since I started following Gopher football in the Holtz days. Unfortunately, the program has gone through many HCs in that time. Maybe that's why I think Mason was better than most on this forum do?

No you it's because you psis and moan in every post.

Even when you say "I'm sorry for being negative" ... you follow it up with being negative, often in that very post. Think about that...

It makes you seem entirely insincere. I'm not even sure you're reading your own posts.

Sounds like you read the headlines, but you don't delve into the actual articles. This is a lot like most people these days. They don't read the articles for fear of having to change their already made-up minds.

Sounds like you read the headlines, but you don't delve into the actual articles. This is a lot like most people these days. They don't read the articles for fear of having to change their already made-up minds.
Local town near me built a new park a few years ago. It got a blurb on the star trib.

Every comment was bemoaning the amount of debt incurred and even mentioned the national debt (like wut...)... second paragraph noted the park was paid for entirely with a reserve fund set aside to build the park.

There's no nuance or curiosity anymore.

The Gophs will likely lose lots of talent after this season, specifically running back and receiver, and at this point there aren't any proven backups. Expecting some losses on the OLine, as well.

My biggest concern is whether Tanner Morgan can regain his old form because by any measure... he was pretty bad in 2020.

Anyone that doesn't think this season is important for the long term success of the team is ignoring the obvious, imo.

I apologize to those that think I'm being overly negative. I'm being realistic in how I view the team.

Blast away................
So does winning this year somehow prevent the team from being as bad as you are predicting in two years?

So does winning this year somehow prevent the team from being as bad as you are predicting in two years?
Winning in 2021 will help in recruiting and will show that backups are developing. Another bad year and everyone will think 2019 was a mirage. There are no proven backups at WR or RB. Potential yes, but those guys need to see quality minutes this season.

The West is winnable this season looking at the others in the division.

Winning this year ABSOLUTELY prevents a downturn in 22/23.

And I understand why so many on this forum HOPE Fleck's hype of the team is sincere. What's he supposed to say... This team really hasn't developed in year five? Or is it year four? Did that Year Zero thing ever resonate?

Winning in 2021 will help in recruiting and will show that backups are developing. Another bad year and everyone will think 2019 was a mirage. There are no proven backups at WR or RB. Potential yes, but those guys need to see quality minutes this season.

The West is winnable this season looking at the others in the division.

Winning this year ABSOLUTELY prevents a downturn in 22/23.

And I understand why so many on this forum HOPE Fleck's hype of the team is sincere. What's he supposed to say... This team really hasn't developed in year five? Or is it year four? Did that Year Zero thing ever resonate?
Have you seen the mediocre WRs Wisconsin and Iowa have won with or the below average WRs AND RBs NW wins with? The development of the defense is far more important. You don’t need an nfl rb and multiple nfl wrs to win the west.

Have you seen the mediocre WRs Wisconsin and Iowa have won with or the below average WRs AND RBs NW wins with? The development of the defense is far more important. You don’t need an nfl rb and multiple nfl wrs to win the west.
Would be nice tho.....

If there was any data on this, and I haven't found any, it really seems like we were hit harder than most programs bc covid as far as players who were out. I mean we were out 30 some players for Nebraska, that's insane.

I'm not sure I want to see that kind of game again.

But I kinda wouldn't mind seeing a team decide they don't kick... ever.
Outback Bowl was pretty close to that on kickoffs...after the Auburn runback for 130 yards or whatever it was for that first TD.

Still amazing to me we spotted them 10 points early and still prevailed. Ski U Mah!

I'm afraid you'll have to be a lot more interesting and important in order to demand that people take the time and effort to convince you of something you're clearly not going to be convinced of. Until then, you're just not worth it.

Outback Bowl was pretty close to that on kickoffs...after the Auburn runback for 130 yards or whatever it was for that first TD.

Still amazing to me we spotted them 10 points early and still prevailed. Ski U Mah!
One of those games where despite the score it was really Gophers dominating all day outside a couple plays.

Top Bottom