Bateman to Baltimore, Ravens Take Elite Receiver in First Round - U of MN Press Release

GopherLady

Reaction score
Bateman to Baltimore, Ravens Take Elite Receiver in First Round
Bateman's press conference with the media can be found here:

The Baltimore Ravens selected Minnesota's record-breaking receiver Rashod Bateman in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft with the 27th overall pick. Bateman is the first Gopher to be taken in the first round since Laurence Maroney was taken 21st overall by the New England Patriots in 2006.

Bateman, who is the first Minnesota receiver ever to be drafted in the first round, is one of the best to ever wear the Maroon and Gold and declared for the NFL after three prolific seasons as a Gopher. The Tifton, Ga., native caught at least one pass in all 31 games he played in and made 147 receptions (sixth in school history) for 2,395 yards (sixth in school history) and 19 touchdowns (fifth in school history).

He recorded ten 100-yard receiving games (fourth in school history) and set school records as a freshman and sophomore. His freshman records were in receptions (51) and receiving yards (704), while his sophomore records were receiving touchdowns (11) and receiving yards (1,219).

Bateman was named the 2019 Big Ten's Richter–Howard Receiver of the Year and was one of 12 finalists for the Biletnikoff Award. He was named All-Big Ten First Team and AP Third-Team All-America.

Bateman's former Gopher teammate Tyler Johnson was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last year and went on to win the Super Bowl. Bateman and Johnson are the first true Minnesota receivers to be selected in consecutive NFL Drafts ever. Prior to Bateman and Johnson the last two Gopher receivers drafted were Eric Decker (2010) and Ron Johnson (2002), which means that prior to this year Minnesota had two receivers drafted in the previous 18 years.

--

Corrected: If will be fun to see Tyler Johnson and Bateman talking on the field before the Super Bowl game next season.

Last edited:

I like this analysis from The Athletic:

Pick 27, Baltimore Ravens: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

It was no secret going into the draft that the Ravens needed wide receiver help. Bateman (6 feet, 190 pounds) offers a terrific option to work the middle of the field and produce yards after the catch. He finished his college career with 147 receptions for 2,395 yards and 19 touchdowns while averaging 16.3 YPR. Bateman is a polished route-runner who is technically sound and can beat press coverage.

There’s no projection here. He should help the Ravens immediately. I love the pairing of player and team here.

Grade: A

I was wrong. Happy for him. Be interested to watch him play.

Congratulations, Rashod. You've earned this opportunity. Now go make the most of it!

I have become about as disinterested in professional football as I am in professional basketball, but I'm glad he's on a team about as far away from impacting the Vikings as possible. I hope he has a tremendous career there.

Heaven knows the program needs some good news.
Hopefully another Goph selected Friday.
original.png

What kool aid?
That a HC with a combined record of 26-19 is one of the best Gopher coaches... ever.

I might not be correct on his record since I don't know if we are supposed to count the games from Year Zero?

That a HC with a combined record of 26-19 is one of the best Gopher coaches... ever.

I might not be correct on his record since I don't know if we are supposed to count the games from Year Zero?
It’s a shame that PJ bothers you so much. Most people, even those who aren’t big PJ fans are choosing to be optimistic about both our present and future under a talented up and coming head coach.
But you are well within your rights to have the mindset you have, so I won’t try to change you. Best of luck in your journey.

It’s a shame that PJ bothers you so much. Most people, even those who aren’t big PJ fans are choosing to be optimistic about both our present and future under a talented up and coming head coach.
But you are well within your rights to have the mindset you have, so I won’t try to change you. Best of luck in your journey.
Just win, baby! And don't forget to call that timeout with a minute to play to save your legacy of never being shut out.

So just admit it. Are you a wisky or iowa troll?
Actually, a big Glen Mason fan.

Not great, but pretty consistent and ran a clean program. Not the "see me" kind of HC that I don't really care for.
Not all of us worship PJ.

Not great, but pretty consistent and ran a clean program. Not the "see me" kind of HC that I don't really care for.
It's ok to be a fan of Mason, Kill, and PJ. Being a fan of one does not exclude you from being a fan of another. They all have their pros and cons.

Sorry that you have such low expectations in life!

PJ runs a clean program too. And - news flash - we have our highest team GPA ever and the players are more involved in community service than they ever have been.

Go suck on a lemon.

Does one have to only have negative takes to not be considered a worshipper of Fleck? You must not be that anti Fleck since you won’t say that you want him fired.

Does one have to only have negative takes to not be considered a worshipper of Fleck? You must not be that anti Fleck since you won’t say that you want him fired.
No one wants Fleck fired. D-1 programs can't sustain success changing HCs every few years. To prove that, only look at Nebraska football. Solich and Pelini were fired for "only" winning nine games.

IMO, Gopher fans don't have high expectations of PJ. Compete for division titles every few years, beat Wisky and Iowa half the time, and run a clean program. Gopher fans will accept 8-4 seasons with an occasional 10-2 thrown in every so often.

Sorry that you have such low expectations in life!

PJ runs a clean program too. And - news flash - we have our highest team GPA ever and the players are more involved in community service than they ever have been.

Go suck on a lemon.
Fleck is fine for a program with such a limited fan base. Because of the Vikings, he's got to "market" the program with gimmicks like RTB. That's fine.

In a lot of ways, he's like the HC at Iowa State. Fans are craving for a good football team. The 2019 season gave Gopher fans hope. And by reading this board, PJ gets a pass for 2020.

But until he starts beating the Badgers and the Hawkeyes, there will be skeptics like me.,

Fleck is fine for a program with such a limited fan base. Because of the Vikings, he's got to "market" the program with gimmicks like RTB. That's fine.

In a lot of ways, he's like the HC at Iowa State. Fans are craving for a good football team. The 2019 season gave Gopher fans hope. And by reading this board, PJ gets a pass for 2020.

But until he starts beating the Badgers and the Hawkeyes, there will be skeptics like me.,
What do you mean he gets a pass? Define what a pass means. I don’t think anyone believes we have arrived and are the class of the Big10 west at this point.

Top Bottom