Athan visiting Rutgers

He was better than Morgan in the Nebraska game but he was below average based on his numbers in that game. He was a largely inaccurate quarterback that never developed. You using the term practically everybody is not true and almost out right false. There was a vocal group that thought he was going to go for 4000 yards and 40 tds. He was and is a below average qb. He was bad in 22 worse in 23. He had one good game against Wisconsin. He was 7 for 13 against Nebraska and missed many wide open throws in that game.

If the new guy can be a 60% completion guy that is a gigantic upgrade.
I like that the PSU game was so bad that you didn’t even mention it.

He was better than Morgan in the Nebraska game but he was below average based on his numbers in that game. He was a largely inaccurate quarterback that never developed. You using the term practically everybody is not true and almost out right false. There was a vocal group that thought he was going to go for 4000 yards and 40 tds. He was and is a below average qb. He was bad in 22 worse in 23. He had one good game against Wisconsin. He was 7 for 13 against Nebraska and missed many wide open throws in that game.

If the new guy can be a 60% completion guy that is a gigantic upgrade.

Going from a 51.9% completion rate in conference play to 60% adds a minimum of 25 yards per game passing assuming a similar YPC. That turns into more first downs, more running plays and yards, and more points. The offense goes from one of the worst to at least upper half of the BG10. Even with a pathetic defensive outing this year, the Gophs probably win a couple more games this year with a semi-competent passing game.

I'll admit, I was one of the fans optimistic that AK would improve from the Wisconsin game instead of that being a peak performance. It is what it is.

No, you were. Look back at the conversations and plenty of people were pumping the breaks.
How many people took angst when Brewster's kid listed him outside the top 10 in the B1G? Wasn't there a thread on that? But maybe it's more close to even then? I know I was excited.

Just because they are leaving Rutgers doesn't mean that they view the U of M better. If those leaving were coming here, then sure, 9 players would be disagreeing with me. Right now, all that those players are saying is just that they don't want to be at Rutgers anymore. Says nothing of playing for Fleck vs. Schiano.

How many people took angst when Brewster's kid listed him outside the top 10 in the B1G? Wasn't there a thread on that? But maybe it's more close to even then? I know I was excited.

I was one of those criticizing the Brewster kid's forecast as sour grapes bias. Maybe there was some bias, but he was right on AK.

Could it also be possible that the Wisconsin game (and the second half against Nebraska) were the exceptions and not the rule?
We can’t know for sure without peering into a parallel universe where KC stayed on.

In that universe, I think there’s a great chance that AK continued in the upward direction that was displayed in the Wisc game.

I think GHj can be and probably is a fine offensive playcaller.

I’m not sold on him as a QB coach and a developer of the position.

Oh, I agree horribly basic offense. I think the general assumption out here was that they shrunk the playbook from what they had been running, which was very similar to what Rutgers runs as a system, because AK was not successful running it.
Rutgers playbook even smaller than Minnesota’s
Gophers did a lot more with motions, under center play actions, under center run games

No, I like competent coaching more. Also, no reason to think we'll be better than Rutgers going forward.
Other than the fact that we've been better than them almost the entire time they've spent in the Big Ten.....
What evidence is there that their coaching is more competent?

I'm of the belief that Schiano is a better coach than he gets credit for, but his best year since he has returned to Rutgers is the type of year that gets our coaching staff ripped to shreds.
I can't stand the guy.

Quit being obtuse. Practically everyone on this board a year ago was excited for him. Brought us back in the Nebraska game, we liked his Wisconsin game, etc. Basically, can he be the QB we were all expecting a year ago at this time?
Unfortunately Jugular, this is one of Gopherhole's favorite pastimes. You pretend you really like a player or coach so that you can compete for best fan on Gopherhole.

Then when we get a new coach or that player leaves, the same group of posters competes to crap on that player or coach in effort to say they are the only true fans to new players or coaching regime.

Unfortunately Jugular, this is one of Gopherhole's favorite pastimes. You pretend you really like a player or coach so that you can compete for best fan on Gopherhole.

Then when we get a new coach or that player leaves, the same group of posters competes to crap on that player or coach in effort to say they are the only true fans to new players or coaching regime.
I was optimistic about Athan at this time last year. I expected some struggles in 2023, but not anything as bad as what we saw. I simply said that he wasn't that great in 2022, which he wasn't outside of one game. Doesn't mean I didn't think he would improve (I did), I'm simply saying it's not as if he was great in 2022. Two different concepts.

Rutgers playbook even smaller than Minnesota’s
Gophers did a lot more with motions, under center play actions, under center run games
Offensive overall stats are very, very close (attempts, yardage, average, etc.). If he lands there, how he does statisctically will tell me if it's him or his ability to develop/be developed.

Offensive overall stats are very, very close (attempts, yardage, average, etc.). If he lands there, how he does statisctically will tell me if it's him or his ability to develop/be developed.
The stats tell you nothing about the playbook

Similar levels of success (or lack of) yes

it wasn't just fans. people like Ryan Burns and Chip Scoggins were talking up Athan before the season.

from what Burns has said, Athan could be one of those QB's who looks great in practice, but for whatever reason, runs into issues during games. I've heard Burns say on more than one occasion that Athan had the best arm of any QB he has covered in his time on the MN beat.

Chip made similar comments. so people who cover football for a living saw something in Athan.

If he goes to Rutgers or another school and plays well, that will not be a good reflection on the Gopher coaches......

Just because they are leaving Rutgers doesn't mean that they view the U of M better. If those leaving were coming here, then sure, 9 players would be disagreeing with me. Right now, all that those players are saying is just that they don't want to be at Rutgers anymore. Says nothing of playing for Fleck vs. Schiano.
I'm just trying to use some objective data. We're losing a net of 4 players to the portal and they are losing a net of 9. They have no players committed to going their right now. I'm sure that will change, but they don't appear to be anyone's first choice. I don't see any evidence that going there is better than here. Probably about the same right now. It doesn't appear to me that our house is on fire and theirs is just surrounded by roses.

I'm sure he'll be plenty motivated at Rutgers to compete and improve! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Rutgers is willing to give him a shot because they aren't just handing him the keys to the car like we did. I think PJ will be very careful not to do that again.
He is next year isn’t he?

Rutgers has a ton of QBs on their roster. If AK goes there, I don't see him getting any promises of being the starter.
To add to this..... Lets bring up Glen Mason style recruiting.... QB's often are some of the best/smartest athletes on a team. Some of those Rutgers QB's (AK maybe even) dould get moved to other postions.

To add to this..... Lets bring up Glen Mason style recruiting.... QB's often are some of the best/smartest athletes on a team. Some of those Rutgers QB's (AK maybe even) dould get moved to other postions.

Mason did that for incoming First Years. Here's their current QB room, plus they have a commitment for a new 'cruit this year. it's already pretty crowded. If AK goes there, IMO he'll have to compete for the job.

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nophoto.png&w=200&h=146Colin O'Sullivan19QB5' 11"175 lbsFRFort Washington, PA

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/5092438.png
Raeden Oliver22QB6' 2"200 lbsSOMontclair, NJ

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/5078166.png
Ajani Sheppard15QB6' 2"230 lbsFRBronx, NY

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/4431387.png
Evan Simon10QB6' 3"205 lbsJRMount Joy, PA

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/4893657.png
Gavin Wimsatt2QB6' 3"225 lbsJROwensboro, KY

it wasn't just fans. people like Ryan Burns and Chip Scoggins were talking up Athan before the season.

from what Burns has said, Athan could be one of those QB's who looks great in practice, but for whatever reason, runs into issues during games. I've heard Burns say on more than one occasion that Athan had the best arm of any QB he has covered in his time on the MN beat.

Chip made similar comments. so people who cover football for a living saw something in Athan.

If he goes to Rutgers or another school and plays well, that will not be a good reflection on the Gopher coaches......
Agreed.

The flashes of brilliance were there. That long TD throw against Michigan, for example.

Just so maddeningly few and far between.

Top Bottom