Athan visiting Rutgers

Would be interesting to see if he'd get his 2022 form back with KC as his coordinator. Wish him the best!

Guess it’s not too surprising considering the KC connection. My prediction was Athan would end up the backup at a P5 program where he feels he can “be developed”. I guess Rutgers qualifies, technically, but there’s not a ton different about that place than MN. The running joke on Burns pod is it’s basically “Minnesota East”.

So he'd be moving to essentially the same offense. If he lands there and starts, his performance will be a good indicator of the staff's impact on his development as a QB.

Curious how this goes with Dino as a part of this? Would be surprised if a P5 team is going to offer both of them as a package deal on to get Athan with Dino not cracking any part of the roster even as a special team contributor. Would not be surprised if he was only offered as a PWO at this point.

I'm sure he'll be plenty motivated at Rutgers to compete and improve! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Rutgers is willing to give him a shot because they aren't just handing him the keys to the car like we did. I think PJ will be very careful not to do that again.

Quit being obtuse. Practically everyone on this board a year ago was excited for him. Brought us back in the Nebraska game, we liked his Wisconsin game, etc. Basically, can he be the QB we were all expecting a year ago at this time?
No, you were. Look back at the conversations and plenty of people were pumping the breaks.

This is too obvious.

KC recruited him. KC developed him. Had a great game vs Wisc in 22 as his Zenith. In comes GHj and he regressed this year relative to the Wisc game. There is absolutely no valid argument to make that that game meant he should’ve performed much better this whole year, so indeed it was a regression.

Would not be surprised at all if KC still wants him, and if he goes would not be shocked if he plays better there than here in 23.

Which would then seem to prove that GHj is about as good a QB coach as MSj.

Quit being obtuse. Practically everyone on this board a year ago was excited for him. Brought us back in the Nebraska game, we liked his Wisconsin game, etc. Basically, can he be the QB we were all expecting a year ago at this time?
I was not one of those people. I also did not trash him. He is what he is and now he's gone. We have other fish to fry.

So he'd be moving to essentially the same offense. If he lands there and starts, his performance will be a good indicator of the staff's impact on his development as a QB.
Did you watch Rutgers this year?

2023 Minnesota does not run the same offense or even close to the same offense as 2023 Rutgers

To me him having success at Rutgers would mean he is a great fit for that system. But now that the gophers run more under center stuff and less RPO, he isn’t a great fit.
Not sure I like our offensive scheme at all, but it is not the same as it was under KC.

I was not one of those people. I also did not trash him. He is what he is and now he's gone. We have other fish to fry.
Agree with this. Some were over hyped
He showed some raw skills that got me excited, but he was a below average QB last year who played one great game.

Hopefully, it works out for Athan. Probably, his highest offer possibility?

This is too obvious.

KC recruited him. KC developed him. Had a great game vs Wisc in 22 as his Zenith. In comes GHj and he regressed this year relative to the Wisc game. There is absolutely no valid argument to make that that game meant he should’ve performed much better this whole year, so indeed it was a regression.

Would not be surprised at all if KC still wants him, and if he goes would not be shocked if he plays better there than here in 23.

Which would then seem to prove that GHj is about as good a QB coach as MSj.

Ah yes the old "he had one good game so we can totally extrapolate out his entire career based on it" argument. Classic. I loved when Vikings fans did that with Josh Dobbs!

Could it also be possible that the Wisconsin game (and the second half against Nebraska) were the exceptions and not the rule?

I thought Matt Simon was the reason...wasn't that your whole shtick last year when you proselytized how he should be the OC? He is still with the team right?

Guess it’s not too surprising considering the KC connection. My prediction was Athan would end up the backup at a P5 program where he feels he can “be developed”. I guess Rutgers qualifies, technically, but there’s not a ton different about that place than MN. The running joke on Burns pod is it’s basically “Minnesota East”.
They have a different coach. That might be enough for AK

Rutgers has a ton of QBs on their roster. If AK goes there, I don't see him getting any promises of being the starter.

Did you watch Rutgers this year?

2023 Minnesota does not run the same offense or even close to the same offense as 2023 Rutgers

To me him having success at Rutgers would mean he is a great fit for that system. But now that the gophers run more under center stuff and less RPO, he isn’t a great fit.
Not sure I like our offensive scheme at all, but it is not the same as it was under KC.
Oh, I agree horribly basic offense. I think the general assumption out here was that they shrunk the playbook from what they had been running, which was very similar to what Rutgers runs as a system, because AK was not successful running it.

He was better than Morgan in the Nebraska game but he was below average based on his numbers in that game. He was a largely inaccurate quarterback that never developed. You using the term practically everybody is not true and almost out right false. There was a vocal group that thought he was going to go for 4000 yards and 40 tds. He was and is a below average qb. He was bad in 22 worse in 23. He had one good game against Wisconsin. He was 7 for 13 against Nebraska and missed many wide open throws in that game.

If the new guy can be a 60% completion guy that is a gigantic upgrade.

Top Bottom