At What Point?

I just hope it goes better here for Coach Smith than it did in Lubbock for Coach Knight.

At What Point will all the Tubby adoration and veneration stop and people demand some performance and accountability? Today was a Monsonesque/ Molinariesque showing

Ah yes, the troll's dichotomy... Either we adore Tubby or we "demand" performance and accountability. If only we fans were really so easy to classify, these types of posts might actually have some merit.

The truth is (and I know it may be hard for you to believe, salem79) that many of us neither adore Tubby nor have the power to 'demand' anything from him. How does one actually go about demanding something from a man who is under contract and will continue to coach here, and furthermore, knows more about basketball than most of us combined?

Being angry on a message board does not constitute demanding accountability. The only way to do so, IMHO, is to fill the barn, stay for the whole game, and cheer for the team, so that the coach knows that his fan base actually gives a damn.

Ah yes, the troll's dichotomy... Either we adore Tubby or we "demand" performance and accountability. If only we fans were really so easy to classify, these types of posts might actually have some merit.

The truth is (and I know it may be hard for you to believe, salem79) that many of us neither adore Tubby nor have the power to 'demand' anything from him. How does one actually go about demanding something from a man who is under contract and will continue to coach here, and furthermore, knows more about basketball than most of us combined?

Being angry on a message board does not constitute demanding accountability. The only way to do so, IMHO, is to fill the barn, stay for the whole game, and cheer for the team, so that the coach knows that his fan base actually gives a damn.

My point is that the score today would have been the same in 05-06 and 06-07....This guy has not taken the program very far in 3 years

My point is that the score today would have been the same in 05-06 and 06-07....This guy has not taken the program very far in 3 years

I agree! The only difference I think is that the very real difference-makers aren't playing right now. That includes Nolen, who's presence alone could have kept us in this game today.

I continue to be amazed how much clout people on here give players who have never played

BS and racist drivel.

Tubby has recruited Top 20 or better class in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009. That's 12 of the past 14 years.

Tubby has 9 Sweet 16 finishes since 1993. Only 2 coaches - Roy Williams and Coach K - have 10 Sweet 16 in that timeframe.

FOT
What part of that is "racist? "
Just because someone doesn't think Tubby walks on water and is due to cure cancer next week
does NOT make them racist. You make some good points about Tubby, I understand you like
him and want to defend him, however, when you start playing the race card it undermines any
good points you may bring to the table. Tubby Smith is one of the better coaches in Div1 b-ball
and does NOT need to be defended by calling a person racist just because they don't agree
with you.
Tubby is above using the race card, he would not appreciate it.

Hey, nice to have new posters like Salem, Davyjones, et al. If there's one thing this board really needed it was more new posters unfamiliar with the game of basketball to recycle uninformed opinions. Really, great to have you.

But a little advice for future posts. Hit that open new window tab in you browser and actually do a little basic research before commenting. Maybe then you'd stop embarrassing yourself.

BS and racist drivel.

Tubby has recruited Top 20 or better class in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009. That's 12 of the past 14 years.

Tubby has 9 Sweet 16 finishes since 1993. Only 2 coaches - Roy Williams and Coach K - have 10 Sweet 16 in that timeframe.

according to ESPN, the 08 class was 25th, the 09 class was 22nd..... stop calling them what they are not ( top 20 ).

salem, I can see your doubts with Royce, but Trevor has played, and before his knee injury he looked very promising at MU in the little time he did play, and you honestly believe that the program hasn't gone very far in the past 3 years? In two seasons Tubby has gone 42-25. The best Monson ever did in 2 years was go 37-26. Tubby already has as many NCAA appearances with the Gophers as Monson did in his 7 year tenure with Minnesota. This program is way ahead of where it was going under Monson. Yeah today was a tough loss, but every coach has had a couple bad losses.

so a top 10 recruiting class last year isn't in the national recruiting conersation???? I love when I can prove idiots wrong, especially ones that think a loss to OSU when we play without our best player, starting pg, and our best rebounder, is going to sink the program. Tuby made the Gopher relevant in town and nationally again and you can't say anything to disprove that.

who's the idiot.. it was the #22 class, not a 'top 10' class.
throw out the in-state guys, and what do you have??

You don't get kicked out of school for just cheating on one test.
I'll give Tubby credit for each recuit that plays a game. More credit if they pull more than one full season. Even more credit if they stay elligible and out of the courthouse.

I am not going to Give congrats to Tubby for the best two practice players.

what i heard from a DLS source was that he used a choice word on the principle's daughter.

I heard it was for cheating, but hell dboy if that's what he got kicked out for he really got screwed over. First Amendment is supposed to protect his right of saying whatever he wants to, whether the principle likes it or not.

according to ESPN, the 08 class was 25th, the 09 class was 22nd..... stop calling them what they are not ( top 20 ).

Consensus Top 20 classes, numb nut. Not every recruiting service rates classes the same.

salem, I can see your doubts with Royce, but Trevor has played, and before his knee injury he looked very promising at MU in the little time he did play, and you honestly believe that the program hasn't gone very far in the past 3 years? In two seasons Tubby has gone 42-25. The best Monson ever did in 2 years was go 37-26. Tubby already has as many NCAA appearances with the Gophers as Monson did in his 7 year tenure with Minnesota. This program is way ahead of where it was going under Monson. Yeah today was a tough loss, but every coach has had a couple bad losses.

Bobby Knight lost to Gophers by 50 and he was a pretty good coach.

Top Bottom