At What Point?

salem79

Reaction score
At What Point will all the Tubby adoration and veneration stop and people demand some performance and accountability? Today was a Monsonesque/ Molinariesque showing

At What Point will all the Tubby adoration and veneration stop and people demand some performance and accountability? Today was a Monsonesque/ Molinariesque showing

Why dont you tell us what our record shoud be and what should be different considering whats happened thats beyond the coaches control

monson could have had the same record with this talent

Sorry, if i am not wowed that a "decent" coach from the SEC came here , and has to date, not really succeeded.....My apologies

Why dont you tell us what our record shoud be and what should be different considering whats happened thats beyond the coaches control

16-5, 6-3 B10 IMO - Wins over Indiana, MSU, and Portland.

If you can't put some of the blame on coaching, then I believe you are looking through rose colored glasses.

I've said this from day one. That is what makes coaching here so attractive. Zero expectations and a nice paycheck. Making the NCAA Tournament once every couple of years is good enough for a majority of this fan base.

Art, You are wise......only the football coach gets any heat...and if they went to one rose bowl, it would buy 10 years of peace from the fanbase...low expectations=low performance

I hereby demand some performance and accountability.

There that should do it.

That is a start, Station19....but Minnesotans generally will pick "good guys" over winners, so it is an uphill battle

At what point will the Roy Williams adoration stop? Or the Pitino veneration?
Or any successful coach having a difficult season?

Or

better question

At what point will you realize you are, at some level, hoping the Gophers fail so you can be right?

Building a broken program takes time and patience. The facts say that Tubby is doing that, this season is tough, but I like this team.

We are missing 3 of our top 7 players and people wonder why we are not winning? Tough to compete when you are playing with half a squad. Put it on Tubby if you would like, but we have had a fluke run of bad luck relating to elegibility. Take it for what it's worth. I had hoped they would come with a little more effort, but we were blown out by a much better team, on their home court. They are probably the best team in the big ten right now.

How in the world do we know that White and Mbakwe are "our best players"? Seems awfully hypothetical. This team did not lose much from last year and seems to have regressed

The biggest difference (as has been covered in other threads) is that Tubby doesn't blow smoke up people's butts like Brewster does. That's why Brewster gets more heat. Tubby is laid back and really doesn't say much.

Are you quoting yourself when you say "decent"? 3 time national coach of the year. I guess that's decent.

Sorry, if i am not wowed that a "decent" coach from the SEC came here , and has to date, not really succeeded.....My apologies

I'm starting to think there is a reason Kentucky fans wanted to get rid of him. Our offensive execution is pitiful at best. We better get some better players in here next season, or it's going to be more of the same.

Here in MN we are used to bargain basement coaching, so when a national "name" comes to coach, however far removed from naional success, we are dazzled like schoolgirls here in MN

The biggest difference (as has been covered in other threads) is that Tubby doesn't blow smoke up people's butts like Brewster does. That's why Brewster gets more heat. Tubby is laid back and really doesn't say much.

Tubby has proven in the past that he is a very good coach. Brewster is at present still trying to do that.

I don't think it's fair to pin this season on Coach Smith. He's done his job assembling talent and role players, Bostick is probably the only miss. His two cornerstone recruits have criminal charges and his point guard and defensive key didn't study. This is a much different team if the external factors go as expected.

That said, I'm worried about the external factors and can see it going the other way if we don't get our suspended players back and land Cory Joseph. It could mean 2-3 years of bottom half finishes in the Big Ten. I don't see Coach Smith coaching in three years if this happens.

I'm worried about how poor our local recruiting area is this year and next. How many top 50 players have we landed outside of Minnesota in the past 20 years? Bobby Jackson and Vincent Grier were JUCOs. There won't be any local help for next year's class, and I question if we can land a national talent capable of leading our team. Would we be in the Cory Joseph race if his brother wasn't here?

This is where not landing Aldrich and/or Leuer really hurts. This isn't UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, or Duke. We can't afford to have the two best Minnesotans in the NCAA playing elsewhere.

Notice that Tubby is not getting truly elite recruits? He is beating mid-majors and lower bcs schools

anyone who is dumb enough to compare tubby and brewster doesn't know sports at all. Also anyone who thinks Tubby is not the best thing to happen to this program in the last 20 years is just venting because maturi thinks its guilty untill proven innocent. Maturi once a badger ALWAYS a badger.

Notice that Tubby is not getting truly elite recruits? He is beating mid-majors and lower bcs schools

Have you been outside in MN? He is keeping the best instate guys, but its hard to convince an 18 year old to come here when you bring him on a recruiting trip and is negative15 out, and other places at the same time the girls are still wearing skirts.

I would actually argue that Brewster is working harder to recruit guys than Tubby, and I stand by that

I would actually argue that Brewster is working harder to recruit guys than Tubby, and I stand by that

Ya because brewster gets out coached so he has to hang his hat on recruiting(he also isn't as dumb as mason who pissed on all the MN HS coaches), PLUS he has to bring in around 20 new kids a year.

I agree. As big a name as Tubby is, you would think we would be bringing in more top players. If we don't bring in more talent, we will never compete in the Big 10.

Tubby's Gophers are not in the national recruiting conversation.....picking up sloppy seconds, ala Glen Mason

tubbys star power can only go so far in pushing umn to get star recruits. success builds success and frankly minnesota has never been one of the power schools, thus will lose alot of talent to them. landing royce and trevor was huge. if they didnt have troubles id easily say wed be fighting for 1st in the conference if we didnt have outright by a mile. trevor is beastly from what i saw when he played at MU and royce, well 5 star talent cant mean nothing. in addition to making huge mismatches by allowing damian to play his true position

Getting players locally, and with prior connections....Tubby is not really working it. Be interesting to see how much travel is happening in the recruiting process at MN.......

Here in MN we are used to bargain basement coaching, so when a national "name" comes to coach, however far removed from naional success, we are dazzled like schoolgirls here in MN

Removed from national success????

Do you mean the national title he won?
Which twenty-win season is he so far from?
Which one of the four teams he's taken to the sweet sixteen?

Your cynicism is really remarkable, able to look past inconvenient things like facts.

Is the team better today then when Tubby took over?

The team has "regressed" in the sense that it hasn't had the season that most people expected it would. Tubby shoulders some of that.

But don't twist a disappointing season into a deluded screed about a very good coach and insult anyone (us "schoolirls") who disagrees with you. It makes little sense and is small.

Top Bottom