At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

• Yes, Gophers are NIT bound

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Nope, NIT dream is over

Votes: 76 69.1%

• Total voters

If that's true, I think we're up to six opt-outs. There are also a couple of teams ahead of us in NET with losing records. Our chances of making that tournament have improved.

I have mixed feelings about playing in it. The team really looked worn out to me at the end of the season, it would be good for those intending to transfer enter the portal quickly, and I'd like to see the coach recruiting the portal as soon as possible.
Fatigue is understandable given that CBJ refuses to play more than 7 players. its one of the more baflling aspects of his coaching.

Ugh, they play a lot of guys. 9 play double digit minutes.
Cuz they all suck!

JK, watched them lose to Xavier in the Big East Tourney.. Both teams seemed solid, almost mirror images of each other.

Fatigue is understandable given that CBJ refuses to play more than 7 players. its one of the more baflling aspects of his coaching.

Agree 100%. Under those conditions, Butler is a really bad matchup for us. They've played 8 guys double digit minutes per game in conference. Maybe Ihnen will come in and have one of his rare and inexplicable 3-3 three point shooting games.

Agree 100%. Under those conditions, Butler is a really bad matchup for us. They've played 8 guys double digit minutes per game in conference. Maybe Ihnen will come in and have one of his rare and inexplicable 3-3 three point shooting games.
The most curious thing will be who shows up for our team.

As high seed, Butler should be home team. They did average 7,844/game, played 17 home games.

The most curious thing will be who shows up for our team.
Really?? I will be totally surprised if any of the top 7 opt out.

After the L to MSU:
Garcia: “I definitely think we're continuing to go in the right direction. That's what it's about. We've got guys in the locker room, a whole coaching staff, a whole university that's behind us that's willing and committed to moving in the right direction.

“I've got nothing but good to say about every single one of my teammates. Love them to death. Same with the coaches and support staff. Everybody's invested into a winning culture.”

Fox after the L to MSU:
“I hope that the NIT gives us a chance to keep playing because we've got guys that want to be here and want to play and want to continue to play and want to continue to grow as a group, not just as individuals. I think that's what's really special about this team.”

351 teams aren't getting NIT bids. 32 are. And (at least) 4 opted out. 12.5%. That's the equivalent of about 11 teams refusing one of the 86 Bowl bids. We might have 4-8 teams making Bowls if that happened.
NCAA is postseason too. So what you’re saying might be a better comparison than what I’m saying, but it’s 5 teams opting out of postseason playing for 100 spots.

So that’s like 4-5 teams opting out of bowls.

So that’s like 2-3 more than we get.

The point isn’t that nobody is opting out. The point is more I don’t think there is any harm playing a tourney. People can choose not to play, not to watch, etc

I am very seriously really really curious how they come out and play tonight. This really is a chance for "bonus basketball" and could turn out to be a lot of fun. When I was a sophmore in 1980, we were kind of disappointed that the Gophers didn't make the NCAA. But we wound up with three fun home NIT games (Bowling Green, Mississippi, and Southwest Louisiana) which were all a blast! Lost in the finals at Madison Square Garden to Virginia, who had Ralph Sampson and a really good wing named Jeff Lamp who I recall played briefly in the NCAA. Totally different era, but it is fun to speculate on how good the Gophers would have been if they had the current three point rule back then. I expect 90% of Trent Tucker's shots in his career were from behind the current line.

Last edited:

Top Bottom