At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

• Yes, Gophers are NIT bound

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Nope, NIT dream is over

Votes: 76 69.1%

• Total voters
NIT has 32 teams. 12 invites to the top two in six conferences not going to the tourney. Gophers aren't in those two from the big 10

then 20 invites to the best 20 in the NET. Guessing that would get to the mid 80s in NET. Gophers are 88.

quick math has me thinking to 86 (currently PSU). needed to win one more game

add: did find one bracket estimate with the Gophers in it - playing New Mexico

The at-large teams are not picked straight off the NET rankings. A committee will consider resumes and invite the 20 at-large NIT teams based on the resumes, just as happens for the NCAA Tourney.

So, #88 could get them in (I think probably will).

Well if they made the NIT and won a couple games I think people would be a lot kinder than they will be if the year ends today.

Honestly, I think if this had happened tomorrow people would be easier on him. Losing to Purdue people would understand...but this is not a very good MSU team and they made us look stupid for long stretches in the second half. The last 10 minutes or so the Gophers looked like a Weakling Wednesday Team.
Its true that this board reacts WILDLY after each win or loss.

Supposedly Michigan State is a Top-25 team who needed this win. And we were up by 2 at halftime. I don't we need to react wildly.

NIT or CBI for extra practice would be nice. I'd give the entire bench some good minutes. Work on some things rather than only worrying about winning.

Winning next year is what's really important.
Sure, let's accept a CBI bid so that we can use the bench now after completely ignoring it all season.

i don’t think we got in, disappointed

9 BIG wins is a good and noticeable improvement. I was hoping for a ceiling of 8 and then18 season wins and NIT spot.

I don't expect an invite especially due to our bad finish. If we could have finished strong that may have helped.

Ole Miss rejecting a NIT bid is a bit funny and a bit premature. I think Ole Miss's NET ranking is even worse than the gophers
Would've been an automatic qualifier most likely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_180158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_180158_Chrome.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 7

Barking Crow has us at just 7.2% chance for NIT. Non-zero chance, but I do not think we will be selected.

My money is on yes. Minnesota & Indiana get at-large bids.
Yeah, I have absolutely no proof of this one way or the other, but I'd have to think the NIT likes adding schools and the viewership like MN when they have a chance. If it's close, I think we get in and if I had to bet, I think it's close enough.

Yeah, I have absolutely no proof of this one way or the other, but I'd have to think the NIT likes adding schools and the viewership like MN when they have a chance. If it's close, I think we get in and if I had to bet, I think it's close enough.
I think we're a bubble team and if mid-major upsets get into the Dance that will push the Gophers out of the NIT.

Oh hell yes 18 wins should get us into the NIT. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Oh hell yes 18 wins should get us into the NIT. Ridiculous to think otherwise.
Except the B1G is down this year and the Gopher's nonconference schedule was weaker than many mid-major teams. Those 18 wins aren't as impressive as you seem to imagine.

That being said, I hope the boys get a chance to play some more basketball this season.

Apparently we'll make it because all the cool kids said no.

We can drop the CBI talk. When it comes to football, and angry fans start ranting on the message board about how the Gophers should turn down the Quick Lane Bowl out of pride, and everything sucks, and our team is terrible or whatever, I roll my eyes. With the exception of 2020 and COVID, I'm pretty sure turning down a bowl invite when you're eligible for one is extremely rare.

The CBI on the other hand is a tournament for low and mid-majors. DePaul and West Virginia played in it 2019. Florida Atlantic also played it in it in 2022, the year before their Final Four appearance. There's the occasional AAC or Mountain West team in it. Penn State played in the CBI in 2014, and Purdue played in 2013, those are the last Big Ten appearances I see. But the past several years, there's maybe 2 Power 6 teams in the CBI at most, and most years have none. I would guess we won't be playing in the CBI even if we qualify. I think the athletic department has to pay to participate in it anyway. But if you're the 4th place team in the Summit League or something, maybe playing in the CBI is pretty cool, idk. There's over 350 teams in D1, so they have postseason slots for mid- and low-majors, just like they have bowl games on December 14th where you can watch Coastal Carolina play Hawaii if you want.

Are there any actually informed takes on whether the Gophers would qualify for the NIT, or is it mostly just pouting over the results of the last few games, as though Minnesota is the only mediocre high major team who lost a few games at the end of the season, and are thus uniquely undeserving?

We can drop the CBI talk. When it comes to football, and angry fans start ranting on the message board about how the Gophers should turn down the Quick Lane Bowl out of pride, and everything sucks, and our team is terrible or whatever, I roll my eyes. With the exception of 2020 and COVID, I'm pretty sure turning down a bowl invite when you're eligible for one is extremely rare.

The CBI on the other hand is a tournament for low and mid-majors. DePaul and West Virginia played in it 2019. Florida Atlantic also played it in it in 2022, the year before their Final Four appearance. There's the occasional AAC or Mountain West team in it. Penn State played in the CBI in 2014, and Purdue played in 2013, those are the last Big Ten appearances I see. But the past several years, there's maybe 2 Power 6 teams in the CBI at most, and most years have none. I would guess we won't be playing in the CBI even if we qualify. I think the athletic department has to pay to participate in it anyway. But if you're the 4th place team in the Summit League or something, maybe playing in the CBI is pretty cool, idk. There's over 350 teams in D1, so they have postseason slots for mid- and low-majors, just like they have bowl games on December 14th where you can watch Coastal Carolina play Hawaii if you want.

Are there any actually informed takes on whether the Gophers would qualify for the NIT, or is it mostly just pouting over the results of the last few games, as though Minnesota is the only mediocre high major team who lost a few games at the end of the season, and are thus uniquely undeserving?

Assuming these teams don't make the tournament these would be the auto bids:

ACC: Pitt, Wake Forest
Big East: Villanova, Providence
B1G: Ohio State, Iowa
Big 12: Cincinnati, UCF
Pac 12: Utah, Oregon
SEC: LSU, UGA(since Ole Miss has declined)

That leaves 20 spots. It comes down to what the committee will want to do. If their goal is to take as many P6 teams, we'll get in. If they take the most deserving, I don't think we'll make it. If we assume Lunardi's projections are correct, the following teams are ahead of us in the NET: Indiana State, UVA, Bradley, Virginia Tech, SMU, San Francisco, Butler, NC State, Kansas State, Washington, VCU, South Florida, Richmond, App State, Memphis, UNLV, UC-Irvine, North Texas, Boston College, St. Bonaventure, Yale, Loyola(Chicago), St. Joe's, Syracuse, Cornell, Duquesne. And this was with leaving teams under .500 off the list. Or add Xavier, MD, PSU and USC to the equation. There are 29 teams ahead of us in the NET.

So like I said earlier, if they want as many P6 teams as possible, I think we'll make it. Had they not charged the rules, we wouldn't even be all that close given the number of #1 seeds that have lost their conference tournaments.

the following teams are ahead of us in the NET: Indiana State, UVA, Bradley, Virginia Tech, SMU, San Francisco, Butler, NC State, Kansas State, Washington, VCU, South Florida, Richmond, App State, Memphis, UNLV, UC-Irvine, North Texas, Boston College, St. Bonaventure, Yale, Loyola(Chicago), St. Joe's, Syracuse, Cornell, Duquesne.
I think we'd beat many of those teams that the computers say are ahead of us.

In the past, even just a few years ago...many things that are normal now would have been considered crazy.

I think we'd beat many of those teams that the computers say are ahead of us.

In the past, even just a few years ago...many things that are normal now would have been considered crazy.

Maybe, maybe not. I do know, we did play one of those teams, and got run out of the gym, so there's that.

I think the gophers get in. Mostly because I think there will be a LOT of opt outs. Teams don't care about the NIT, they want to start recruiting.

Top Bottom