At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

• Yes, Gophers are NIT bound

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Nope, NIT dream is over

Votes: 76 69.1%

• Total voters
NIT has 32 teams. 12 invites to the top two in six conferences not going to the tourney. Gophers aren't in those two from the big 10

then 20 invites to the best 20 in the NET. Guessing that would get to the mid 80s in NET. Gophers are 88.

quick math has me thinking to 86 (currently PSU). needed to win one more game

add: did find one bracket estimate with the Gophers in it - playing New Mexico
Half of the teams out of the tournament but better than the gophers will turn down the NIT

Am I making things up, or was there a time when teams weren't allowed to opt out of NIT?

Very few teams opt out of Bowl games.
Yeah, but they can and some do.

7 of 351 D1 hoops team opting out of NiT is equal percentage to 2-3 football teams opting out of bowls

Last edited:

So many teams are dropping out of NIT consideration we’re going to end up making it and playing UW-Stout in Menominee.
might be a tough match up for a squad that seems to have packed it in. hope springs eternal though, maybe a win or two could right the ship going to next year.

I would treat the NIT as almost like the start of next year with the players on the team. Coaches need to find out which players seriously are wanting to and for sure going to be back next year on the team and use the NIT to develop those players. Getting in an extra game or more, and practices could help some players develop for next year. Betts, Keinys....need to find out what they got assuming they want to stay. Carrington, Payne, JOJ who are only sophomores. Are they going to be back....they what ways might be best to get more development for them. Maybe Mitchell gets more PG time to better develop that for instances foul trouble, injuries. Hopefully Gophers get invited and use the time wisely. Gives you more practice time. I just hope players are honest and if they are going into the transfer portal, they don't take time away from others who we will look to next year.

Yeah, but they can and some do.

7 of 351 D1 hoops team opting out of NiT is equal percentage to 2-3 football teams opting out of bowls
351 teams aren't getting NIT bids. 32 are. And (at least) 4 opted out. 12.5%. That's the equivalent of about 11 teams refusing one of the 86 Bowl bids. We might have 4-8 teams making Bowls if that happened.

Their bracket is now updated and projects us to be 8 seed and play at Indiana State.
Goggles didn't make it??

Wow what a waste of time and money they spent building that kid up to be a fun fan rooting interest for MM. Bummer

So, the transfer portal is open tomorrow(?) through May 1st?

If we accept a bid and players leave .... what was the point?

Sounds like Kansas State will opt out if asked. Washington too.

Well, not great with all the Mid-Majors getting selected. Didn't expect teams like Richmond and Cornell to make it.

Sounds like Kansas State will opt out if asked. Washington too.

If that's true, I think we're up to six opt-outs. There are also a couple of teams ahead of us in NET with losing records. Our chances of making that tournament have improved.

I have mixed feelings about playing in it. The team really looked worn out to me at the end of the season, it would be good for those intending to transfer enter the portal quickly, and I'd like to see the coach recruiting the portal as soon as possible.

If that's true, I think we're up to six opt-outs. There are also a couple of teams ahead of us in NET with losing records. Our chances of making that tournament have improved.

I have mixed feelings about playing in it. The team really looked worn out to me at the end of the season, it would be good for those intending to transfer enter the portal quickly, and I'd like to see the coach recruiting the portal as soon as possible.

Xavier got in at 16-17.

For those that may not know, they are announcing the NIT field on ESPN2.

Top Bottom