Assistant Coaches

I'm familiar with state government and there are a number of positions where the job has to be posted and open for a specified amount of time (even though at the higher levels, everyone knows who is getting the job). Probably similar at the U, although I do find it a bit odd that it extends to assistant basketball coach.
Yes, it happens in industry also. A major Fortune 500 company the I worked for had a policy to post most jobs inside the company and then outside the company no matter if they had someone already in mind for the job. The manager has to wait until the posting expires before they could make a hire. Every place has it's rules...

Just because assistants haven't been announced, doesn't mean they haven't already been hired, or have an agreement in place. I highly doubt Johnson has been working alone over the last few weeks, and I don't think Conroy would be actively recruiting kids to a school he may not be employed by later this week.
I doubt they have been hired without a previous announcement. Perhaps he can’t find anyone willing to accept the assignment.

Coaches hired 10 days after Ben have their staffs names. This is 17 days in and no staff named.
Prior to the names being leaked, I was thinking that Johnson was failing his first test as a coach. He might salvage it (IMO) if those are the coaches named, but the execution has still been bad. I am curious how much of that falls on him vs. the U’s compliance and general counsel departments.

Prior to the names being leaked, I was thinking that Johnson was failing his first test as a coach. He might salvage it (IMO) if those are the coaches named, but the execution has still been bad. I am curious how much of that falls on him vs. the U’s compliance and general counsel departments.
I see it as a positive as he doesn’t bend to ridiculous fan insecurities. 5, 10, 25 days for an announcement - it’s not going to make a long-term difference, and very little near-term. Getting the right people is most important, and it’s not like he’s been going solo anyway despite what’s public.

I see it as a positive as he doesn’t bend to ridiculous fan insecurities. 5, 10, 25 days for an announcement - it’s not going to make a long-term difference, and very little near-term. Getting the right people is most important, and it’s not like he’s been going solo anyway despite what’s publi

Nuness obviously turned down BJ, so bc of that, it would not surprise me if more ppl turned him down. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing Thorson was the only one of his top choices that is coming. This is solely based on how he hyped up how many ppl and the quality of the teams of these ppl were interested in coming to work for him. The whole, blue bloods thing from his presser. If i remember correctly, i think he said some of them would surprise us, even surprised him, that were interested in talking.

Kemp doesn't do much for me. McNeilly I would be pumped for. For those saying, read his bio or linking quotes of ppl saying "he's a star"....serious question. When is the last time you saw a potential coaching (assistant or not) candidate who is about to get hired get blasted by the media or someone respected in the media say, they are not very good.

I don't know that a "STAR" assistant would be stuck in the mid-major level for their entire career as simply an assistant.

Bash away. Getting some McDonalds.

Nuness obviously turned down BJ, so bc of that, it would not surprise me if more ppl turned him down. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing Thorson was the only one of his top choices that is coming. This is solely based on how he hyped up how many ppl and the quality of the teams of these ppl were interested in coming to work for him. The whole, blue bloods thing from his presser. If i remember correctly, i think he said some of them would surprise us, even surprised him, that were interested in talking.

Kemp doesn't do much for me. McNeilly I would be pumped for. For those saying, read his bio or linking quotes of ppl saying "he's a star"....serious question. When is the last time you saw a potential coaching (assistant or not) candidate who is about to get hired get blasted by the media or someone respected in the media say, they are not very good.

I don't know that a "STAR" assistant would be stuck in the mid-major level for their entire career as simply an assistant.

Nuness didn't "obviously" turn him down, and if all three named end up on staff, all three bring more than Jared.

Bottom-line, you are not able to look at anything positively from this hire now. You just make stuff up not built on any kind of real insight.

Last edited:

Nunness didn't "obviously" turn him down, and if all three named end up on staff, all three bring more than Jared.

Bottom-line, you are not able to look at anything positively from this hire now. You just make stuff up not built on any kind of real insight.
He turned him down. Sure, maybe he did it in a nice way, but still told him no. Honestly this really all falls on BJ, he is the one who hyped up the fans with the level of interest of potential assistants. Remember when Coyle said it might feel like forever when hiring the new coach, etc etc. he was setting up proper expectations. BJ didn't do that. I don't blame him though, he's never been a coach. The workload is a lot different going from just an assistant to HC. Specially in a market like the TC.

Darren Wolfson

@DWolfsonKSTP

Talked with national champ and Twin Cities native
@CoachJNuness
. He said he had a solid conversation w/ new #Gophers coach Ben Johnson, but the timing isn't right for him to head home. Jared and Ben remain close. Ben should be officially announcing his staff pretty soon.

He turned him down. Sure, maybe he did it in a nice way, but still told him no. Honestly this really all falls on BJ, he is the one who hyped up the fans with the level of interest of potential assistants. Remember when Coyle said it might feel like forever when hiring the new coach, etc etc. he was setting up proper expectations. BJ didn't do that. I don't blame him though, he's never been a coach. The workload is a lot different going from just an assistant to HC. Specially in a market like the TC.
Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

@CoachJNuness
. He said he had a solid conversation w/ new #Gophers coach Ben Johnson, but the timing isn't right for him to head home. Jared and Ben remain close. Ben should be officially announcing his staff pretty soon.
You should read the job requirements the U posted and see if Nuness qualifies.

You are so right. Total speculation.

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

@CoachJNuness
That does not mean Jared turned him down for an asst job. He didn’t. You’re reading something you want to see into that.

Nuness didn't "obviously" turn him down, and if all three named end up on staff, all three bring more than Jared.

Jared is responsible from bringing Freddie Gillepsie, Kendall Brown, and Dain Dainja to Baylor. I'd take him and his ability to get a top 20 recruit to Minnesota..

Jared is responsible from bringing Freddie Gillepsie, Kendall Brown, and Dain Dainja to Baylor. I'd take him and his ability to get a top 20 recruit to Minnesota..
Just because Jared grew up in MN does not mean he is responsible for bringing them in.

And people were falling over themselves trying to force it to be that Nuness would have to be the 3rd assistant, simply because of what he was at Baylor.

No.

Ben can do anything he wants, he's the coach. He could've named Nuness the top assistant, if he thought that was the best thing to do.

And people were falling over themselves trying to force it to be that Nuness would have to be the 3rd assistant, simply because of what he was at Baylor.

No.

Ben can do anything he wants, he's the coach. He could've named Nuness the top assistant, if he thought that was the best thing to do.
Only problem is Nuness didn't want to come back.

I don't know if he's failing, but I think this can be attributed to the fact that as a coach with no head coaching experience, he really hasn't developed a "coaching tree." I hope Johnson doesn't meet the same fate, but this is shades of Tim Brewster to some extent.

I see it as a positive as he doesn’t bend to ridiculous fan insecurities. 5, 10, 25 days for an announcement - it’s not going to make a long-term difference, and very little near-term. Getting the right people is most important, and it’s not like he’s been going solo anyway despite what’s public.
It depends on what your definition of long-term is. I think long-term is getting shorter and shorter in the eyes of many. I am in the camp that sees this fall's recruiting cycle as absolutely critical in Ben's tenure. He was brought in to revive local recruiting, the class of 22 is loaded, and they have been recruited and established relationships for a few years now. Every minute the new staff has to recruit them makes a difference. Nearly three weeks to get a staff together does mean something.

I know you believe he has not been working solo, and you could be right, but you don't have any more data on that than all the posters who assume a set of facts behind the scenes that have not been verified. It's all complete speculation and should not be accepted as fact.

I don't know if he's failing, but I think this can be attributed to the fact that as a coach with no head coaching experience, he really hasn't developed a "coaching tree." I hope Johnson doesn't meet the same fate, but this is shades of Tim Brewster to some extent.
Yikes!

Bingo! The process has been a disaster. Hard to argue otherwise, even if it ends up working out.
100% this. It's not a knock on Johnson or the coaches coming in, but the process has been anything but smooth and quick. I'm all for taking time when it's needed but this has been a little off the rails. Hopefully long term this was just a minor inconvenience type scenario.

Also side note, if you weren't a fan of the hire don't follow Arkansas Twitter, they seemingly bring in a new stud transfer every day. It will only make your anger grow. Just hope we can land Fox and a few others soon

It depends on what your definition of long-term is. I think long-term is getting shorter and shorter in the eyes of many. I am in the camp that sees this fall's recruiting cycle as absolutely critical in Ben's tenure. He was brought in to revive local recruiting, the class of 22 is loaded, and they have been recruited and established relationships for a few years now. Every minute the new staff has to recruit them makes a difference. Nearly three weeks to get a staff together does mean something.

I know you believe he has not been working solo, and you could be right, but you don't have any more data on that than all the posters who assume a set of facts behind the scenes that have not been verified. It's all complete speculation and should not be accepted as fact.

Is this enough proof for you?

Top Bottom