Assistant Coaches

Jamie McNeilly has a nephew named Cashius McNeilly. He is a freshman this year at Texas A&M but opted out because of covid. He’s a 6-4 combo guard and was a 4 star recruit from Canada who most likely followed his uncle. Maybe he’s a transfer option.

Jamie McNeilly has a nephew named Cashius McNeilly. He is a freshman this year at Texas A&M but opted out because of covid. He’s a 6-4 combo guard and was a 4 star recruit from Canada who most likely followed his uncle. Maybe he’s a transfer option.
MN is practically Canada. We have Tim Horton's and everything!....

Any time you put something in the public forum and it has the UofM or your program's name on it, it should be quality. That is the way I have always operated for organizations I have run or worked for. I don't care if it's inconsequential to what your plans are, if you put it out to the public it should make a good representation. That did not.
So dumb.

Not sure if he is any more but McNeilly was an assistant for Team Canada's U19 team which is probably how Nickeil Alexander-Walker ended up at Virginia Tech. Brought his nephew as Bostongopher mentioned and Emanuel Miller (A&M's best player) to College Station from Toronto. Tons of quality basketball players from Ontario that you see pop up at prep schools like Marcus for example, it'd be great to see us pull some kids from out there.

Good little article on him here too, gives a bit of a backstory to him and Buzz's relationship: https://theeagle.com/sports/right-h...cle_3122d8ce-5799-11ea-a930-4f70b1282b45.html

That was something each coaches had to do...bring a player with them!
Thorson-Roddy
Kemp-Lowe
McNeilly-McNeilly

Jamie McNeilly and Jason Kemp have me very excited after reading about them and watching videos. Dave Thorson is OK and at least seasoned. Would have loved Nuness over Kemp or Thorson but overall happy.
Nuness no comparison to Thorson as a coach, and nowhere near the respect in MN basketball community.

So what's the overall grade people would give the assistant coach hires as a group?

Any time you put something in the public forum and it has the UofM or your program's name on it, it should be quality. That is the way I have always operated for organizations I have run or worked for. I don't care if it's inconsequential to what your plans are, if you put it out to the public it should make a good representation. That did not.
Get off your fckg high horse and quit bragging about how great you are.... It is obviously done to meet some formalities and requirements of conducting an employee search. There are job listings for Marquette, UNLV, etc... Why pigeon hole a candidate by being too specific on qualifications on a posting that is basically an announcement.

If you truly are as knowledgeable as you claim, then you certainly know that many times you find candidates that have the right drive, attitude and related knowledge that make them a great fit for a job even if they do not meet all of the posting qualifications.

The U is a public institution and hires have to be approved by oversight committees and meet public criticism. Also, the duties of each assistant is dependent upon the other assistants they hire. Ultimately, Johnson and Coyle are responsible for hiring the best team of assistants. Why put possible conflict into the hiring process by having some committee say a guy isn’t qualified because you put “must have 6 years of P5 coaching experience“ in a job requirement and your guy only has 4 years?

I will say that I have never posted a job opening on Indeed.com, yet I've probably gotten at least 10 random resumes in the past 6 months from people who say they saw it on Indeed. No idea how it ended up there. I can't be the only employer that's happened to.

I will say that I have never posted a job opening on Indeed.com, yet I've probably gotten at least 10 random resumes in the past 6 months from people who say they saw it on Indeed. No idea how it ended up there. I can't be the only employer that's happened to.
Same here. Never posted but one of my best employees got referred to us through Indeed. He didn’t know about us but our description matched his skills and indeed put it in his box. Sounds like they must have some sweep mechanism that takes descriptions from public sites and drops them into their own. I’m grateful.

He was a very well ranked SHOOTING (it was too easy, lol). Guard. HE also rocks the headband much cooler than Gabe IMO.

#14 ranked SG by 24/7 and #24 SG overall.

Get off your fckg high horse and quit bragging about how great you are.... It is obviously done to meet some formalities and requirements of conducting an employee search. There are job listings for Marquette, UNLV, etc... Why pigeon hole a candidate by being too specific on qualifications on a posting that is basically an announcement.

If you truly are as knowledgeable as you claim, then you certainly know that many times you find candidates that have the right drive, attitude and related knowledge that make them a great fit for a job even if they do not meet all of the posting qualifications.

The U is a public institution and hires have to be approved by oversight committees and meet public criticism. Also, the duties of each assistant is dependent upon the other assistants they hire. Ultimately, Johnson and Coyle are responsible for hiring the best team of assistants. Why put possible conflict into the hiring process by having some committee say a guy isn’t qualified because you put “must have 6 years of P5 coaching experience“ in a job requirement and your guy only has 4 years?
It's not a high horse it's the way I see the world and the way I do things and thus those things jump out to me. Maybe you don't care, that doesn't make it a high horse. Maybe when I buy products I look for quality and maybe others don't care about the quality. That's not a high horse. Why are you so angry all the time?

It's not a high horse it's the way I see the world and the way I do things and thus those things jump out to me. Maybe you don't care, that doesn't make it a high horse. Maybe when I buy products I look for quality and maybe others don't care about the quality. That's not a high horse. Why are you so angry all the time?
Again... assuming that you are the only one that looks for quality and others don't care. I am not angry, just annoyed at condescending attitudes. My impression is that you are just picking at straws to criticize everything that is happening at the U because you do not like the current hire.

Like in this case. It was just some generic job posting to make an announcement, fulfill certain school requirements and not restrict the hiring of who they want to hire. You go off about how unprofessional it was and how much of an embarrassment it was, etc... Many universities do the exact same thing. It is not as if they do not have an effective screening process for potential candidates.

The other time I responded to you was about how your immediate reaction to a post on the expected assistant coaches: "Looks like they kept below their old white guy quota". Your knee jerk reaction is not about qualifications, experience, work history, etc....it is about some tally that you think is more important.

Yes, this is how you see the world.

Last edited:

He was a very well ranked SHOOTING (it was too easy, lol). Guard. HE also rocks the headband much cooler than Gabe IMO.

#14 ranked SG by 24/7 and #24 SG overall.

And Coach McNeilly is very high on his court awareness and basketball knowledge (he talked about him late in the interview I posted).

Again... assuming that you are the only one that looks for quality and others don't care. I am not angry, just annoyed at condescending attitudes. My impression is that you are just picking at straws to criticize everything that is happening at the U because you do not like the current hire.

Like in this case. It was just some generic job posting to make an announcement, fulfill certain school requirements and not restrict the hiring of who they want to hire. You go off about how unprofessional it was and how much of an embarrassment it was, etc... Many universities do the exact same thing. It is not as if they do not have an effective screening process for potential candidates.

The other time I responded to you was about how your immediate reaction to a post on the expected assistant coaches: "Looks like they kept below their old white guy quota". Your knee jerk reaction is not about qualifications, experience, work history, etc....it is about some tally that you think is more important.

Yes, this is how you see the world.
That is not my preferred way to see the world, but that is how the world is now seen. Everything is talked about in context of race now. Doesn't matter what it is. In fact you're now deemed racist if you don't see a person's race. If Coyle would have hired a white coach and the staff was mostly white, do you think that would have become an issue? Coyle was getting criticized for all of his coaching hires because they were white, does anyone know if any non whites applied, if so were they qualified? I don't know, nobody knows, but doesn't matter they criticized him and just fell short of calling him racist or at least saying he is furthering racism. Is he really or did he actually hire the best candidates, doesn't matter to today's world.

I didn't insert race into this hire process, it was brought up and inserted into the process by others (media, B1G Commissioner, etc), but if the process started by looking through a racial lens, why would we not look at it the same way at the end of the process?

That comment by the way was mostly made in a tongue in cheek manner, because I have no way of knowing for sure if they put that restriction on or not, but it is possible, and in some ways looked suspicious. There were a few posters throwing around the thought that that may be why Conroy ended up "leaving", because there may have been that type of pressure from above and Ben preferred Thorson. Was that legit? Who knows, but knowing doesn't matter anymore as long as it involves race and its plausible.

That is not my preferred way to see the world, but that is how the world is now seen. Everything is talked about in context of race now. Doesn't matter what it is. In fact you're now deemed racist if you don't see a person's race. If Coyle would have hired a white coach and the staff was mostly white, do you think that would have become an issue? Coyle was getting criticized for all of his coaching hires because they were white, does anyone know if any non whites applied, if so were they qualified? I don't know, nobody knows, but doesn't matter they criticized him and just fell short of calling him racist or at least saying he is furthering racism. Is he really or did he actually hire the best candidates, doesn't matter to today's world.

I didn't insert race into this hire process, it was brought up and inserted into the process by others (media, B1G Commissioner, etc), but if the process started by looking through a racial lens, why would we not look at it the same way at the end of the process?

That comment by the way was mostly made in a tongue in cheek manner, because I have no way of knowing for sure if they put that restriction on or not, but it is possible, and in some ways looked suspicious. There were a few posters throwing around the thought that that may be why Conroy ended up "leaving", because there may have been that type of pressure from above and Ben preferred Thorson. Was that legit? Who knows, but knowing doesn't matter anymore as long as it involves race and its plausible.
Please, stop digging yourself in deeper.

Let'e just keep the discussion to basketball issues. I like the new staff. I was shocked at first because I thought they were in line to hire an experienced HC with a winning track record. I am optimistic about the chance of a new staff building a winner. But then again, I have always been a glass 3/4 type of full person. Also, success can only happen if you believe it can happen.

I found it bizarre for sure, but I'm guessing any job opening at the U is required to be posted somewhere for x amount of time.
I'm familiar with state government and there are a number of positions where the job has to be posted and open for a specified amount of time (even though at the higher levels, everyone knows who is getting the job). Probably similar at the U, although I do find it a bit odd that it extends to assistant basketball coach.

Top Bottom