Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

Yeah, for sports that do their competitions in meets of multiple teams and don't do them that often, it also won't be as big of a deal. But sports where two teams play against each other as a competition, and that play multiple competitions per week (eg, mid-week games), they're getting screwed.

New PAC, I wasn't trying to say would be as valuable as the Big XII. No, of course not. I was only trying to say that it would be slightly more valuable than the MWC.

Saw that Wazzou and Oregon State are suing to try to basically make it so that the other 10 can't have a vote anymore at the PAC board meetings.

Otherwise, they'll vote to dissolve the conference to prevent themselves having to pay whatever.

I'm rooting strongly for WSU and OSU to win. They should get to keep the entire pot of gold for themselves. F the other 10.

Figured this was the best thread for this, rather than starting new:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-team-bracket-despite-conference-realignment/

Despite the rash of conference realignment this offseason, it is expected that agreed-upon 12-team College Football Playoff format will maintain its structure at least for the 2024 season, sources told CBS Sports.

The main reason: It would take an unanimous vote of the CFP Management Committee -- 10 commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director -- to make any change to the 12-team format at this point, sources confirmed.

The 12-team structure in place for 2024 will include see the six highest-ranked conference champions populate the field as automatic qualifiers with six other at-large teams receiving playoff bids.

With the sport in a state of flux and it up in the air how many FBS conferences will even exist once next season rolls around, it would be almost impossible to find consensus on the subject of which conferences deserve AQ status.

The original idea behind guaranteeing spots to the six highest-ranked conference champions was that, most years, not only would the Power Five league champions have access to the playoff but so would at least one champion from a Group of Five conference.

Maintaining the 6+6 structure for 2024 would put off speculation that the number of automatic qualifiers will decrease with the expected loss of the Pac-12. The two other structures that have been informally suggested are 5+7 with five AQs (accounting for the expiration of the Pac-12) and the 12 highest-rated teams -- regardless of conference championship status -- earning CFP bids.

The committee will gather for a regularly scheduled two-day meeting beginning Tuesday in Chicago. Even if alternate models are proposed at the meeting, it will only take one dissenting vote to keep the agreed-upon structure in place.

American commissioner Mike Aresco is on record as being against any structure change that reduces the automatic berths.

After the 2025 season, much of the structure and format of the 12-team playoff will be up for consideration, including the 6+6 model. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has said on numerous occasions that he would favor a structure that featured 12 at-large teams.

"I think the best [12] teams in the playoff are most healthy," Sankey told reporters earlier this month. "That's not where a lot of my colleagues are."

6+6 should be correct to stay as is. PAC will survive, taking most of the best MWC and maybe a couple others.

Otherwise, 5+7 is fine.

0+12 is an abomination.

Let the SEC walk. Fine with me. Don't need to ever tune into their one-off tournament.

Agree. 0+12 should not happen. If we can't have all conference champs get an AQ like they should, 6+6 is fine.

Wash State and Ore State have to make a decision pretty darn soon. I understand they would like to somehow preserve the Pac-12 name, along with the major-conference status and financial considerations.

but as of now, it appears the only option to pull that off is some kind of "reverse merger" with the Mountain West - which would have its own legal and financial issues.

barring the Pac-2 schools pulling a "Night of the Lepus"-sized rabbit out of its hat, I don't see the Pac-12 surviving. and that means 4 Power conferences remaining.

so my best guess is a 5+7 model for the playoffs.

Could be 5+7, but won't be until 2025 or later.

Greg Swaim is tweeting that

"several very solid SEC sources are telling us that Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and Virginia could be a 'block of four' who leave together for either the SEC or B1G."

Swaim does radio and TV and runs a recruiting service.

as always, people who float rumors or pass along scoops usually have an agenda - so someone wants this to be out there.

No thanks on Clemson. Academically/research at the level of North Dakota State.

I'll take Georgia Tech, though.

Back in reality, North Carolina won't be anywhere that Duke isn't also included.

Greg Swaim is tweeting that

"several very solid SEC sources are telling us that Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and Virginia could be a 'block of four' who leave together for either the SEC or B1G."

Swaim does radio and TV and runs a recruiting service.

as always, people who float rumors or pass along scoops usually have an agenda - so someone wants this to be out there.

My thoughts...

Clemson doesn't fit well in the Big Ten, although it would be a great place to see a game and golf.

According to Bleacher Report, ACC has a tough contract to get out of.

Don't believe talk like "We're not interested in adding the teams [the next teams to be added, like they said about Oregon and Washington]. Notice they never said, "We're not interested in adding Cal or Arizona State."

Basketball schools should head to Big Ten.

It would be bizarre that Stanford leaped to ACC to escape the sinking Pac-12 only to have the ACC sink. Kicked to the curb twice?

Last edited:

Gonna disagree with you on this.
Same here. Other than the basketball rivalry, they are two completely different types of institutions.
UNC and UVA would both be excellent fits in the B1G. I'd rather have seen those two than UCLA and USC.

UCLA and USC are two completely different types of institutions.

Duke and UNC were together in the Southern Conference since 1928 (when Duke joined) and left together to found the ACC in 1953.

UCLA and USC are two completely different types of institutions.

Duke and UNC were together in the Southern Conference since 1928 (when Duke joined) and left together to found the ACC in 1953.
Duke is a very small, very exclusive private school. It has roughly the same number of undergrad students as St. Thomas - around 6500.

UNC is a state flagship university. It's a major public research school and has over 20,000 undergrad students. It's the oldest public college in the US.

They are completely different types of institutions.

Duke has 10k grad students and does more research than UNC. They're a research juggernaut, exactly a Big Ten institution.

UDKBDdc.png

Mpls - you have a right to your opinion. But every report I have seen lists UNC as one of the schools that is interested in getting out of the ACC GOR. I have never seen Duke listed even as speculation.

I understand the great basketball rivalry between the two programs - but there are other forces at work here - primarily financial forces.

in the end, if it comes down to UNC officials saying "we can make XXX more million $ by leaving" - and they balance that against the rivalry with Duke - to quote Randy Newman, "It's Money that Matters."

Mpls - you have a right to your opinion. But every report I have seen lists UNC as one of the schools that is interested in getting out of the ACC GOR. I have never seen Duke listed even as speculation.

I understand the great basketball rivalry between the two programs - but there are other forces at work here - primarily financial forces.

in the end, if it comes down to UNC officials saying "we can make XXX more million $ by leaving" - and they balance that against the rivalry with Duke - to quote Randy Newman, "It's Money that Matters."
Reminds me of Oklahoma move. The general consensus before the move was they were a package deal with Okla State if ever there was a move.

Meh. FSU and Clemson are SEC schools. That’s where they belong. Clemson wouldn’t be welcome in the Big Ten due to low academics.

UNC and Virginia are easy adds. I like GATech as well. You could look at Syracuse or BC. But I’d rather see Pitt or Duke, at that point.

This is 2036 timeframe. No ACC school will be allowed to leave prior to that.

Maybe by then Notre Dame comes around.

Just like you said the Pac12 would get a TV deal and stay together, right?

Meh. FSU and Clemson are SEC schools. That’s where they belong. Clemson wouldn’t be welcome in the Big Ten due to low academics.

UNC and Virginia are easy adds. I like GATech as well. You could look at Syracuse or BC. But I’d rather see Pitt or Duke, at that point.

Do you automatically say whatever when it comes to this topic? It's almost guaranteed schools will leave before 36. And no one wants Syracuse, Duke, Pitt, or BC. Why do you think teams want to leave?

People who follow realignment are junkies, looking for the next hit. That much is clear as day. They’ll take whatever they can get their hands on, from any bozo on Twitter who makes literally anything up.

And then call themselves experts, for having read all this nonsense.

It’s all being made up as it goes along, and no one actually knows anything until the school presidents vote.

People who follow realignment are junkies, looking for the next hit. That much is clear as day. They’ll take whatever they can get their hands on, from any bozo on Twitter who makes literally anything up.

And then call themselves experts, for having read all this nonsense.

It’s all being made up as it goes along, and no one actually knows anything until the school presidents vote.
OK, Sparky.

:)

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...te-washington-state-full-control-pac-12-board

Ruling grants Oregon State, Washington State full control of Pac-12

A state judge in Washington granted Oregon State and Washington State sole control of the Pac-12 board of directors on Tuesday, issuing the ruling at a preliminary injunction hearing in Whitman County Court.

Judge Gary Libey granted a stay of the decision until Monday -- at no objection from OSU and WSU -- as the 10 schools leaving the Pac-12 following the 2023-24 school year initiate the appeals process.

the ruling was not a total victory for the Pac-2. The Judge said they have to treat the departed 10 fairly.

However, in making his ruling, Judge Gary Libey describes this as a “modified” preliminary injunction. “This is not a shutout,” he said.

The 10 departing schools should be “treated in a fair manner,” he said. He does not believe that WSU or OSU will make any decision to “directly harm the 10 members,” and if they do, the court will hear about it, he warned them.

as far as the future - from Yahoo Sports -

Washington State and Oregon State are preparing to operate as a two-school conference for at least next year, even assembling a schedule for the 2024 football season that is akin to an independent school.

They are using a two-year NCAA grace period. Conferences falling below the minimum eight members are allowed two years to return to the eight-member mark before they are no longer recognized as a conference.

Oregon State and Washington State have been in discussion with the Mountain West over a scheduling alliance to complete a 12-game slate in the short term. But that comes with strings. The Mountain West wants a more long-term commitment and financial incentives as part of any alliance. The two schools have approached other leagues about a scheduling alliance as well, including the Sun Belt.

All 12 current members will get their even split of conf revenue for the 23-24 athletic year.

OSU & WSU will get to keep all the rest, including all future NCAAT credits the conference is due, to themselves.

Perfectly, exactly fair. :)

MWC will merge or the most valuable members will leave to join the PAC. Whichever works the best.

Fresno, SD St, UNLV, UNM, UWY, CO St, Air Force, Boise.

Not as sure on the others, but politics could come into play. Hawaii as football only with Gonzaga as offsetting partner would make a lot of sense.

All 12 current members will get their even split of conf revenue for the 23-24 athletic year.

OSU & WSU will get to keep all the rest, including all future NCAAT credits the conference is due, to themselves.

Perfectly, exactly fair. :)

MWC will merge or the most valuable members will leave to join the PAC. Whichever works the best.

Fresno, SD St, UNLV, UNM, UWY, CO St, Air Force, Boise.

Not as sure on the others, but politics could come into play. Hawaii as football only with Gonzaga as offsetting partner would make a lot of sense.
Good for them. Merging the MW into the Pac name seems the most logical. It looks like a pretty good conference on paper, football and basketball.

Top Bottom