Annies Parlor

Now you've learned, you do not make any jokes about lake names in these sacred threads.

Because there are separate groups of people who claim to have originally names the lake, you will also think it's totally normal when we change the name of Bde Make Ska to Bde Med'oza because other groups of Dakota called Lake of the Loon, then finally when you realize these names have been exclusionary to the Ojibwe people you will think it's totally normal when we change the name of the lake to Gaa-waabaabiganikaag-zaaga’igan (actual spelling).

We will keep changing the names of these lakes until we wash away all the guilt and we will not ever, and I mean ever, joke about the names of the lakes on internet threads about a malt shop.

Actually, it's Bde Maka Ska which means "White Earth Lake".

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/ne...e Maka Ska is now,oral history for many years.

That still seems a little risky to me. I think they should have just renamed it "Lake - Not the Person, the Body of Water".

Yea, it looks like the movie theater was torn down. My bad.

Too bad they couldn’t have saved the marquee sign. Back in the day I saw John Wayne and the Cowboys and Concert for Bangladesh on the same day there.

I still can't believe they couldn't or wouldn't relocate the restaurant somewhere else on campus. That one still stings. Happy to hear Annie's is on the way back, though. Both were my absolute favorite places to eat on campus.
The owner retired. call him up, buy the name and open it yourself.

Top Bottom