Angry/Determined Goldy logo

Next year and from that point forward, we'll be seeing this guy.
nebraska%20cornhuskers%20mascot%20herbie%20husker%20on%20flickr.jpg

Good old Herbie Husker. Talk about a wingnut! And he frightens me for some reason. Possibly it's that demented gleam in his eyes.

And to get topic with the original post, I sort of like the kinder, gentler looking Goldy better.

Too bad Herbie got addicted to meth... :p

I have to say Goldy looks best in bobblehead form. Happy goldy has a cheerful confidence.

Attachments

• bobbleheads.jpg
    bobbleheads.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 36

This is clipped from the MNHS (Minnesota Historical Society website) It appears in 1985 the U gave in to an activist group titled SOW Save Our Wimp for the kindler Goldy. Whattaloadofcrap.
##Macho and aggressive was what the gopher should
now be. Steve Wanvig, an artist from Owatonna, drew a
running, fist-in-your-face rodent wearing an “M” letter
sweater. For the sports crowd, that was the right image.
Others preferred the old gopher and formed a protest
group called SOW or Save Our Wimp, championing
the mild-mannered demeanor of the previous gopher.
With slight changes to reduce his ferocity—removing
his claws, thinning his torso—another version was
approved for use by the university and licensed to the
numerous manufacturers of memorabilia.##

I don't hate the angry goldy, but it just looks wrong to me.
Historically, I think the coolest football one is the one I have as my avatar.

To conclude, I'll just say that you guys can all shove it if you don't agree with me that the best logo is the one below.
Goldy3.gif

To conclude, I'll just say that you guys can all shove it if you don't agree with me that the best logo is the one below.
Goldy3.gif

Multi-sport 60s-70s Goldy is the best of all time. He looks kinda like a Chuck Jones character.

I remember a promo for the movie Willard, where a door opens, and you see the main character with thousands of rats flowing past him.

Just imagine this. A door opens, and you see Goldy Gopher, with thousands of rabid gophers flowing past him.

What the world needs is an army of ravenous flesh eating Gophers. Because it would be cool.

Goldy3.gif

I agree 100%. Just wish our football squad had a logo with that Goldy.

I've always liked this one from the Alumni Band big drum. I took a picture of it when we had a "Farewell to Northrop" thing there for band alumni a few years ago. I made it my avatar here last year.

I'm gonna call it "Heisman Goldy"

gopherdrum.jpg

I have to agree that I don't care for mascots that are cartoon humans: why take a real human and put them inside a fake cartoon human costume?

Because that's easier than putting a fake cartoon costume inside a human? :cheer:

Why try to make a gopher intimidating? No matter how angry it looks, at the end of the day, it's a rodent. People aren't going to be intimidated by a rodent just because it has an angry face.

I like the grin he has now. It can be friendly or mischievous depending on what he's doing.

I've always liked this one from the Alumni Band big drum. I took a picture of it when we had a "Farewell to Northrop" thing there for band alumni a few years ago. I made it my avatar here last year.

I'm gonna call it "Heisman Goldy"

gopherdrum.jpg

This is awesome. I want this image on a T-shirt.

I was reminded of this thread when I saw a graphic of the Goucher College Gopher today. FYI:

gouchergopher.jpg

WTF is THAT?! Well, I know it's a 'Goucher gopher'.. but where in the blazes is Goucher College?!

Easy there, fella. I used to live in Omaha and my Mom still does, and I can tell ya that as a rule, Nebraskans are some of the most genuinely nice, friendly, and open people I have ever had the pleasure to live amongst, and I've lived for varying durations in pretty much every region of this country- Midwest, Deep South, Far West, Mid-Atlantic, Mountain West, Northeast, New England, etc etc etc. Nebraskans single-minded and TOTAL devotion and obsessiveness with their Huskers is completely over the top and that just used to drive me nuts I'd get so damned sick of hearing about that team (try reading the Omaha World Herald's sports page, it is pretty much all Huskers, all the time), but other than that minor irritation they really are salt of the earth types, open, warm and friendly. Really good people there.

I believe you are correct.

What we have in Minnesota is a kind of repressed elitism mixed with a bit of false warmth, at times. Not saying that is true everywhere in Minnesota. But, that dark underbelly shows up way too often.

Top Bottom