Angry/Determined Goldy logo

wait!what?

Reaction score
In the 01/06/2011 FBT Mailblog MV comments on the U of M using the more angry goldy (from 1985) as a logo. Anybody recall whatever happened to the angry gopher looking logo to the kindler gentler running gopher logo that we see today? The furrowed brow Goldy looks like a big improvement.

The fierce Goldy is much better and I don't think it is scary. The "happy" Goldy just looks deranged.

60s Goldy is the greatest of all Goldies.

goldy_d.gif

I don't think angry Goldy translated well to an actual costume. I saw a picture of the angry Goldy costume, and I didn't think it looked good at all. The non-angry Goldy stands out from so many of the other mascots, which all try to be angry and scary, but which makes them look absurd.

Goldy the mascot is great because he looks happy, the decision to go happy was a good one. This guy looks constipated on the other hand

BuckyBadger_element_view.jpg

Next year and from that point forward, we'll be seeing this guy.
nebraska%20cornhuskers%20mascot%20herbie%20husker%20on%20flickr.jpg

Good old Herbie Husker. Talk about a wingnut! And he frightens me for some reason. Possibly it's that demented gleam in his eyes.

And to get on-topic with the original post, I sort of like the kinder, gentler looking Goldy better.

No, no, and no. That logo came out around the time of the Mitch Lee fiasco in Madison and they dropped it like it was hot when that happened.

60's Goldy

60's Goldy would get a 15 yard taunting penalty.

Only in Minnesota would an argument about a rodent mascot looking "too fierce" get traction.

Next year and from that point forward, we'll be seeing this guy.
nebraska%20cornhuskers%20mascot%20herbie%20husker%20on%20flickr.jpg

Good old Herbie Husker. Talk about a wingnut! And he frightens me for some reason. Possibly it's that demented gleam in his eyes.

Herbie's an affable salt-of-the-earth kind of guy.

It's Li'l Red that terrifies.

Nulilred.jpg

Nulilred.jpg

Ha...

Lil Red does have some Damian-esque qualities.

For what it's worth, I like the skinny 1940's Goldy that looks like it has stumbled upon a mound of prozac. He makes the current Goldy look emo.

Nulilred.jpg

Yep. Lil Red, the bastard son of Herbie. That's quite the frightening twosome there, yikes!

I am absolutely freaking PUMPED about the Cornshuckers moving to the B10 next season. I'm just thrilled to death about it. That's a rivalry we should have never let fall by the wayside even after 84-13, and now we get a resumption of that rivalry on a yearly basis. I can't wait!

Whenever I see Goldy(the mascot, not the logo) I honestly get a huge smile on my face. I really can't help it.

Anyone else thing 1920's goldy looks like coach kill? Put him with sign that says 'stroke the post' and i'll buy 100 tshirts.

Whenever I see Goldy(the mascot, not the logo) I honestly get a huge smile on my face. I really can't help it.

He draws that same type of reaction out of my girlfriend. That "Awwwww, he's CUTE!" type of thing. :)

He makes people happy, and that's a good thing.

I can understand having a costumed person to dress up as a gopher or another animal. I'm struggling with the idea that Nebraska has mascot costumes for what apparently are just generic white people. Isn't that state mostly comprised of generic white people? Couldn't one of them just wear their overalls to the game and stand on the sidelines?

I can understand having a costumed person to dress up as a gopher or another animal. I'm struggling with the idea that Nebraska has mascot costumes for what apparently are just generic white people. Isn't that state mostly comprised of generic white people? Couldn't one of them just wear their overalls to the game and stand on the sidelines?

I feel the same about any human mascot. Purdue Pete and Sparty are familiar offenders. You don't need a giant fake head to look like a Spartan or a metalworker.

West Virginia does it right. If your mascot is a crazy mountain man with a beard, just get a crazy mountain man with a beard out there.

The 1940's Goldy is cool because that's exactly what Freshmen look like after stumbling out of their first house party.

I feel the same about any human mascot. Purdue Pete and Sparty are familiar offenders. You don't need a giant fake head to look like a Spartan or a metalworker.

West Virginia does it right. If your mascot is a crazy mountain man with a beard, just get a crazy mountain man with a beard out there.

LOL!:clap: Could not agree more.

This world has too little "happy" going on these days anyway. Goldy adds a spritz of "happy", and I appreciate him/it.

Here's an image of another angry gopher I liked from a mid 1980's button in my collection. I'm not saying the button was solely responsible....but in those days many fans went to games with the attitude 'we're kicking some a__ tonight'. And I think the players felt it too. Didn't always turn out that way, but it was different.

Attachments

• gpin.jpg
    gpin.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 215

Here's an image of another angry gopher I liked from a mid 1980's button in my collection. I'm not saying the button was solely responsible....but in those days many fans went to games with the attitude 'we're kicking some a__ tonight'. And I think the players felt it too. Didn't always turn out that way, but it was different.

DANG! Now THAT is one pissed-off looking Gopher!

**very afraid***:cry:

I would love to see more of the old logos - particularly the sport specific ones from the 60's and 70's. I love the hoops one where goldy is hanging on the rim! Any leads or does anyone have them?

Yeah, I thought that TCU's Rose Bowl helmets were awesome. What a way to commemorate the occasion, and that was an occasion that should have been commemorated by them, because TCU might realistically never make it back there again. In 2012 it will be 50 years since we last made the Rose Bowl, so if and when we ever make it back, I'd be all about having a rose in Goldy's mouth for that momentous event.

No, no, and no. That logo came out around the time of the Mitch Lee fiasco in Madison and they dropped it like it was hot when that happened.

You are correct, I was a student when this all went down. Here's my recollection. After the rape incident at Madison, members of the woman's studies faculty convinced the administration that the mean looking Goldy mascot somehow contributed (or could contribute) to men's aggression. I still shake my head looking back at this. Even at 18 years of age I couldn't believe what nonsense came out of some "experts."

Top Bottom