Angry/Determined Goldy logo

You are correct, I was a student when this all went down. Here's my recollection. After the rape incident at Madison, members of the woman's studies faculty convinced the administration that the mean looking Goldy mascot somehow contributed (or could contribute) to men's aggression. I still shake my head looking back at this. Even at 18 years of age I couldn't believe what nonsense came out of some "experts."

The bullsheet that is political correctness at it's finest. Ridiculous. I never recalled seeing that angry Goldy logo in the day, but it IS posted up in the Gopher Sports Hall of Fame at The Bank. My trip there this year was the first time I've ever seen that logo and I was very interested in why we never kept it. It's a shame, because I think that logo is probably my second favorite (next to the 60's Goldy).

Yeah, I thought that TCU's Rose Bowl helmets were awesome. What a way to commemorate the occasion, and that was an occasion that should have been commemorated by them, because TCU might realistically never make it back there again. In 2012 it will be 50 years since we last made the Rose Bowl, so if and when we ever make it back, I'd be all about having a rose in Goldy's mouth for that momentous event.

Purdue also commemorated their return to the Rose Bowl a few years ago with a rose on their helmet...

51kTc%2BH5vFL._SL160_.jpg

Next year and from that point forward, we'll be seeing this guy.
nebraska%20cornhuskers%20mascot%20herbie%20husker%20on%20flickr.jpg

Good old Herbie Husker. Talk about a wingnut! And he frightens me for some reason. Possibly it's that demented gleam in his eyes.

That's definitely not good old Herbie Husker. That's the version that came about in a 2003 re-brand to make him look more like Sparty.

THIS is the real Herbie Husker
Nebraska_herbie_Husker.jpg

Now is the time to make the switch back to the determined Goldy. The simple fact is he looks the part. For everyone else it would be similar to the Bewitched of the 60's Darren switcheroo Dick York and Dick Sargeant

We need a more angry gopher, when I heard the Trevor M news my first thought was what next. Gopher fans either need to repent and ask for mercy from the sporting gods or get a new mascot- mascot is the easier thing to do.

No, it's not time to return to angry Goldy. There isn't a time. Goldy is perfect as he is. You can't make a tough intimidating mascot. It's looks absurd. Making Goldy "angry" would just make him look like every mascot out there. Better to stand apart from the flock. Besides, kids love Goldy, and they are the next generation of Gopher fans. Little children are the only people who might find an angry Gopher even the slightest bit intimidating. I don't think scaring little children qualifies as being "tough".

No, it's not time to return to angry Goldy. There isn't a time. Goldy is perfect as he is. You can't make a tough intimidating mascot. It's looks absurd. Making Goldy "angry" would just make him look like every mascot out there. Better to stand apart from the flock. Besides, kids love Goldy, and they are the next generation of Gopher fans. Little children are the only people who might find an angry Gopher even the slightest bit intimidating. I don't think scaring little children qualifies as being "tough".

Won't somebody please think of the children?!?

Good old Herbie Husker. Talk about a wingnut! And he frightens me for some reason. Possibly it's that demented gleam in his eyes.

And to get on-topic with the original post, I sort of like the kinder, gentler looking Goldy better.

Is this guy a first cousin of Grinnin Glenn?:D

That's definitely not good old Herbie Husker. That's the version that came about in a 2003 re-brand to make him look more like Sparty.

THIS is the real Herbie Husker

Can anyone not from Lincoln who is familiar with the area answer a question for me? I mean, I've never done anything more than drive through there, so I don't know anyone native to the area.

Is everyone from Lincoln a huge d*uche? I mean, we have two people from Lincoln who post here regularly and they are both enormous tools. That can't just be a coincidence, can it?

I'm concerned, because the d*uche ratio in the conference is already alarmingly high with Madison and Iowa City. If Nebraska's fanbase is as toolish as it appears to be, the d*uche index may go through the roof. We may be looking at the Big Ten becoming the Jersey Shore of major college football.

Is everyone from Lincoln a huge d*uche?

My wife is not. I get down there once or twice a year, and hang out with a lot of people who grew up in Lincoln. Pretty much all of them are friends I would be happy to hang out with if they lived up here.

That being said, I think these people are the outliers. High level of football arrogance, etc.

And the other thing is that the version below looks way too much like the young Santa in "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

The bullsheet that is political correctness at it's finest. Ridiculous. I never recalled seeing that angry Goldy logo in the day, but it IS posted up in the Gopher Sports Hall of Fame at The Bank. My trip there this year was the first time I've ever seen that logo and...

And I bet you immediately raped like ten people, then blacked out, then woke up without any memory of the incident.

The dark power of angry Goldy.

My wife is not. I get down there once or twice a year, and hang out with a lot of people who grew up in Lincoln. Pretty much all of them are friends I would be happy to hang out with if they lived up here.

That being said, I think these people are the outliers. High level of football arrogance, etc.

And the other thing is that the version below looks way too much like the young Santa in "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

I lived in Lincoln for three years, and it was very hard to leave. The folks there are fantastic, down-to-earth people. Their love for their Huskers is over-the-top, no doubt, and they can come off as condescending, but unlike our neighbors to the south and east they actually have history to back it all up. I attended a Husker-Gopher basketball game in my Gopher gear while there, and rather than talk trash they would instead strike up a conversation about who our best players were, how our season had gone, etc. Same thing when I attended Husker football games with fans of their opponents.

Plus, they spend most of their time supporting their team and very little time bashing their opponents. I think the Gopher fans who have not experienced Nebraska and Lincoln before will enjoy having them as a annual opponent.

I am just glad we don't have a Goldy with a Gopher head and a human body. The schools who try to pull this off look pretty B-grade, like they can't afford the whole costume. K-State leads the pack in this mascot mistake.

Attachments

• Kansas_State_v_bb62.jpg
    Kansas_State_v_bb62.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 51

The odd thing is that the head is the expensive part. The body is cheap. Perhaps it is done to keep the person inside from getting too hot. But if it is too hot for someone, someone else will gladly put on that hot costume.

Every Husker fan I've talked to is very realistic. They don't talk as much smack because they know either a) it'll be a close game or b) they know they're way better than the team they're playing and will surely beat the crap out of them. They know they're a top teir program, and don't need to boast about it... Unlike gay Bucky who talks smack about the little they have.

Ok, i'll slide into the other school mascot debate.
Is that a cardinal coming out of the cyclone for ISU?

Is everyone from Lincoln a huge d*uche? I mean, we have two people from Lincoln who post here regularly and they are both enormous tools. That can't just be a coincidence, can it?.

I'm only a douche to nerds and losers who hide behind internet handles.

I'm only a douche to nerds and losers who hide behind internet handles.

Yeah, I'm really hiding. My name is in my moniker, for f's sake.

How is it any different than your use of a screen name? Are you related to Doogie?

Yeah, I'm really hiding. My name is in my moniker, for f's sake.

How is it any different than your use of a screen name? Are you related to Doogie?

Ha yeah, because I wrote for this site while I was still in school with my last name appearing all over the place. My picture has been posted countless times, hell I even sold your friend Josh one of my extra tickets to a game at the Big House.

I'm definitely not anonymous around these parts.

I still don't understand why you follow me around. How did you turn a thread about cartoon mascots into a thread about me being a d-bag? Though if you think I'm a d-bag, that makes my day and is exactly how I'd want to be viewed in your eyes.

And I bet you immediately raped like ten people, then blacked out, then woke up without any memory of the incident.

The dark power of angry Goldy.

Yeah, I guess that might have happened according to a few posters here and what they think of it. I'm saying change the LOGO back to pissed Goldy. Leave the actual costumed mascot alone, change the logo. It's not a hard thing to do, ya'know..

I still don't understand why you follow me around. How did you turn a thread about cartoon mascots into a thread about me being a d-bag? Though if you think I'm a d-bag, that makes my day and is exactly how I'd want to be viewed in your eyes.

How do I "follow you around"? It's a message board. I see things that I want to talk about, and then I talk about them. When another of your many annoying posts comes up, I comment.

There are plenty of reasons why I dislike you, but the two main ones are:

1) Most of your schtick consists of bitching about what other people like, and then complaining about it. People whose goal in life is to tell everyone what to like, while of course being arrogant about their own interests, are pretty much the worst.

2) Anytime something even tangentially related to the Huskers/Lincoln/the state of Nebraska comes up, you chime in and not-too-subtly remind us how poorly Minnesota football compares. Taken out of context, there's really nothing wrong with this. And, granted, you don't slob on the Osborne knob even 10% as much as GG, and not so fawningly, but even once is more than enough. But, still - I'm from Aberdeen, SD, and I don't go on a Gophers fan board to educate people about the finer nuances of Northern State University.

Point 2 is quite minor, I'll grant, but it's still annoying. Most of my problem with you can be summed up in point 1.

Purdue also commemorated their return to the Rose Bowl a few years ago with a rose on their helmet...

51kTc%2BH5vFL._SL160_.jpg

Yeah I was thinking about that last night too. Rather than putting Goldy on our helmets, we could do something more similar to what Purdue did and just have our traditional block M, and then have a rose entwined around one of the legs of the M. That would be sharp as hell, and I would DEFINITELY buy one of those replica helmets. Either way, Goldy, the M, that helmet *needs* to have a rose on it. Now we just need to get to the Rose Bowl, and then we'll be all set. Easy greezy, right? ;)

And to get on-topic with the original post, I sort of like the kinder, gentler looking Goldy better.

He looks like a pedophile. Not surprisingly, he represents Nebraska.

This iteration of Goldy is just really creepy to me. I think it's the all black eyes. I mean he looks really evil and almost Satanic. I would NOT want to run into that Goldy in a dark alley. ***shudder***

attachment.php

He looks like a pedophile. Not surprisingly, he represents Nebraska.

Easy there, fella. I used to live in Omaha and my Mom still does, and I can tell ya that as a rule, Nebraskans are some of the most genuinely nice, friendly, and open people I have ever had the pleasure to live amongst, and I've lived for varying durations in pretty much every region of this country- Midwest, Deep South, Far West, Mid-Atlantic, Mountain West, Northeast, New England, etc etc etc. Nebraskans single-minded and TOTAL devotion and obsessiveness with their Huskers is completely over the top and that just used to drive me nuts I'd get so damned sick of hearing about that team (try reading the Omaha World Herald's sports page, it is pretty much all Huskers, all the time), but other than that minor irritation they really are salt of the earth types, open, warm and friendly. Really good people there.

I have to agree that I don't care for mascots that are cartoon humans: why take a real human and put them inside a fake cartoon human costume?

Yeah I was thinking about that last night too. Rather than putting Goldy on our helmets, we could do something more similar to what Purdue did and just have our traditional block M, and then have a rose entwined around one of the legs of the M. That would be sharp as hell, and I would DEFINITELY buy one of those replica helmets. Either way, Goldy, the M, that helmet *needs* to have a rose on it. Now we just need to get to the Rose Bowl, and then we'll be all set. Easy greezy, right? ;)

The first team I remember doing this was Washington State.

Top Bottom