All Things Turd Sandwiches

boy did i catch it a few weeks ago when i mentioned on this board that gard was not a good coach (in reference to frietag getting better development from gard than assuma under cbj).

there are some on this board that are gard fans. I don't get it. and i don't think he'll be there in four years. gard has the badgers on a slow decline

boy did i catch it a few weeks ago when i mentioned on this board that gard was not a good coach (in reference to frietag getting better development from gard than assuma under cbj).

there are some on this board that are gard fans. I don't get it. and i don't think he'll be there in four years. gard has the badgers on a slow decline

What's not to get? 2 Big 10 titles and 7 NCAA's in his first 9 years at UW.
That gets a statue and court named after you in Minnesota

That gets a statue and court named after you in Minnesota
But only 2 tournament wins without Bo Ryan’s final four vets. He runs a high floor low ceiling program imo. Arrow has been pointing downward for a few years. I think Johnny Davis saved him from the hot seat once. Storr is doing it again this year.

fictionalizing gard's success doesn't help
Gard hired March 2016

2016-17. NCAA tourny
2017-18 no tourny
2018-2019 NCAA tourny
2019-2020 there was no NCAA Tourny for anyone
2020-2021 NCAA Tourny
2021-2022 NCAA Tourny
2022-2023 NIT

certainly envious of the program bennett and ryan built. but the trends i/m seeing tell me gard won't be long at Wisconsin. he didn't run the titanic into an iceberg, buy the bilge pumps aren't running and the ship is taking on water

But only 2 tournament wins without Bo Ryan’s final four vets. He runs a high floor low ceiling program imo. Arrow has been pointing downward for a few years. I think Johnny Davis saved him from the hot seat once. Storr is doing it again this year.
Wisconsin has a nice program, but like you say, the ceiling hasn't been particularly high outside of the stellar team that featured Kaminisky and Dekker (that was a really good team). The big thing is that Ryan and Gard kept their guys around all four years and what many of those teams lacked in raw talent, they made up for with experience and hard-nosed defense.

Gard hired March 2016

2016-17. NCAA tourny
2017-18 no tourny
2018-2019 NCAA tourny
2020-2021 NCAA Tourny
2021-2022 NCAA Tourny
2022-2023 NIT

certainly envious of the program bennett and ryan built. but the trends i/m seeing tell me gard won't be long at Wisconsin. he didn't run the titanic into an iceberg, buy the bilge pumps aren't running and the ship is taking on water
Que Michael Ray Richardson -

“The ship be sinking.”

Gard hired March 2016

2016-17. NCAA tourny
2017-18 no tourny
2018-2019 NCAA tourny
2020-2021 NCAA Tourny
2021-2022 NCAA Tourny
2022-2023 NIT

Lol, nothing fictualized with the exception of giving him credit for a 19-20' NCAA that was 100% certain and a virtual lock this year. So you don't give him 2015-16 when he coached the last 23 games of the season? That's nonsense
Yeah, terrible record :ROFLMAO:

1707603753078.png

Asuma > Freitag. Ben knew who he was recruiting.
Is that true or is it more a matter of cultural fit in the program? Early on, it was suggested Freitag had no interest in Gophers, while Asuma is a hometown guy who really wants to be here.

First PJ to UCLA and now Ben to Madison?

Gard hired March 2016
Yes, some on here always spin everything about Wisconsin in the most favorable light possible. To the point of lying or being extremely misleading.

Gard took over from Ryan on December 15, 2015. His INHERITED team would go on to make the Sweet-16. The following year, his INHERITED team was #17 preseason with proven players already on it, and he also INHERITED redshirt freshman Happ.

Guard made the Sweet-16 twice in his first year-and-a-half. Since then, his best is the Round-of-32 (twice).

Last edited:

For those on here who obsess over the first 2 years....Gard is your guy !!

His best 2 finishes (Sweet-16s) happened in his first year-and-a-half !! That's fast work that you guys love !!

Last edited:

That's a good characterization but there are a lot of situations worse than that and we've experienced a number of them.
I don’t disagree. Had a good thoughtful reply referencing CBJ but the browser reloaded and I lost the message before I could hit post.

Yes, some on here always spin everything about Wisconsin in the most favorable light possible. To the point of lying or being extremely misleading.

Gard took over from Ryan on December 15, 2015. His INHERITED team would go on to make the Sweet-16. The following year, his INHERITED team was #17 preseason with proven players already on it, and he also INHERITED redshirt freshman Happ.

Guard made the Sweet-16 twice in his first year-and-a-half. Since then, his best is the Round-of-32 (twice).
2 B10 titles. If using the word INHERITED makes you feel better, have at it!

Let's not debate if the Wisconsin coach is good or bad. Let's savor 4 straight Wisconsin losses
may we segue and have fun with a gard watch? If so, I'd say if gard loses the next 4 he's gone. Allow me to add that I don't think he will lose the next 4, and will likely win the next game

To those who would say "Minnesota would erect a statue if a bball coach had gard's record", well of course. Minnesota has lowered expectations. Minnesota would erect a statue for a football coach that had Chryst's record (43-18 in the bigten) - but Chryst got a very quick hook from AD McIntosh

Gard hired March 2016

2016-17. NCAA tourny
2017-18 no tourny
2018-2019 NCAA tourny
2020-2021 NCAA Tourny
2021-2022 NCAA Tourny
2022-2023 NIT

If Gard is so unsuccessful MN fans should hope he stays.

Top Bottom