All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

Yikes, I was going to start a thread if you didn't. He looked very good today. I really hate to think how he could have impacted the gophers. If I am not mistaken, he actually brought the ball up the court on several possessions.
This is actually the second thread.

This is actually the second thread.

As good as Royce was, I think he deserves both.

Welch and Eliason look like nice players on this Gopher team, and there is a lot of athleticism to go around. IF Mbakwe were still here and he could pair with Royce White, the Gophers would be dancing this year. Without them both, this team will hopefully just stay away from the bottom of the Big Ten.

Williams is playing pretty well again today. Perhaps he is a better player closer to the hoop, and ironically, the Trevor injury and White's departure gives him this chance at it.

Lastly, this team has a lot more energy without Sampson on the floor. The time for Ralph to light a fire under his own behind is dissipating.

Moving to Iowa away from his entourage has done wonders for him. There's no telling what would have happened to him had he stayed in Minneapolis. I for one wish him well.

As stated already, but a decent 10 to 17 foot jumper puts him at the top of the first round. He is every inch of 6-7 and every pound of 270. He makes Mbakwe look tiny with those guns.

I don't think he ever would have made it here. He had to get away from his friends and grow up a bit. Good for him, I hope he keeps a good head on his shoulders and does well.

I don't think he ever would have made it here. He had to get away from his friends and grow up a bit. Good for him, I hope he keeps a good head on his shoulders and does well.
I agree. It wasn't going to happen here. I wish him well.

You mean J-Strings wasn't helping him grow? But he had that promising music career.:rolleyes:

Royce and a healthy Trevor would have this team right behind Ohio State in the Big Ten. I see the point of those who say that Royce needed a change of scenery, but I also see a lot of talented guys who have done a lot worse than Royce and have made a major impact for their original college team. Let's hope that a player of Royce/Trevor's talent is on campus next season.

Royce and a healthy Trevor would have this team right behind Ohio State in the Big Ten. I see the point of those who say that Royce needed a change of scenery, but I also see a lot of talented guys who have done a lot worse than Royce and have made a major impact for their original college team. Let's hope that a player of Royce/Trevor's talent is on campus next season.
If Rodney stays and comes into his own the remainder of the season, we will definitely have someone of that talent level. If Rodney leaves, I don't think we will, but the team will be much more balanced.

Iowa State upends Texas 77-71 (White 14 points, 6 rbs, 2 assts)

I watched a bit of the game as the Gopher debacle was happening, alot easier on the blood pressure.

Maybe Royce could've been our PG? Had a pretty nice triple double today...

His stat line today in their 24 pt blowout victory over Texas A&M:

10 pts, 18 rebs, 10 assists, 2 steals, 1 block.

He was sick today

Literally and figuratively. Triple-double and he's battling the flu. 10 points, 18 boards, 10 assists and if you saw the game, you know more was left on the floor. His teammates missed a few bunnies that he set up. He has amazing vision, and when everyone else acclimates, he'll pile up the assists. If he could develope a 10 foot jumper, he'd be unstoppable, though I'm not telling this board anything you don't already know. Kid's good.

Iowa State is starting to play, it will be interesting to see how they do against Baylor, Missouri, and Kansas.

Comparison I'd make is Draymond Green

Now that I've seen White play a few times, the guy I'd most compare him to in today's college game is Draymond Green. Both guys are power-forward thick, but are versatile, unselfish, good passers & do a little bit of everything. Point forward is an appropriate definition for both guys.

Green and White have similar games, as what I'd consider a poor man's Magic Johnson. And trust me, I'd take a poor man's MJ on ANY team.

Now that I've seen White play a few times, the guy I'd most compare him to in today's college game is Draymond Green. Both guys are power-forward thick, but are versatile, unselfish, good passers & do a little bit of everything. Point forward is an appropriate definition for both guys.

agree..

but white is a bit bigger and taller... and can take his guy off the dribble from 1/2 court all the way to the rim. Green is a better outside shooter and works harder on D.... but remember White is a true freshman.... also, i have seen a few ISU games and have yet to see white break into anything other than a slow jog up the floor. maybe 2nite?

No, he's not.

experience wise..

( really there is no other way to evaluate.. )

say he had played three years of varsity football and had gone on a Mormon mission.. "24 year old senior"???... perhaps. but a 'true freshman' basketball player.

most on the board understand. after all, this is a basketball board

He's not even a freshman experience-wise is he? At minimum he's a redshirt freshman isn't he, since he did redshirt last year. He's not a true freshman though, and I think there is a big difference when you're practicing out there and all that, versus a kid just out of high school walking onto campus and then immediately playing games.

Top Bottom