All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

It just shows. Iowa state has more talent on paper than Minnesots but lost to Drake for crying out loud. The Gophers, meanwhile, sit at 2-0 with a pair of double digit wins, including one against a 2010/11 NCAA Tournament team. Hmmm.....coaching perhaps.

It just shows. Iowa state has more talent on paper than Minnesots but lost to Drake for crying out loud. The Gophers, meanwhile, sit at 2-0 with a pair of double digit wins, including one against a 2010/11 NCAA Tournament team. Hmmm.....coaching perhaps.
Don't doubt the Mayor!

Those crazy Cyclones, losing a game they were slight money favorites in (and projected as dogs by some). Bunch of guys who haven't played together, why isn't it all coming together by now? And a road game? What were they thinking? Later in the nonconf they travel to Michigan?! Who the heck plays ROAD games in the nonconference? Think Hoiberg will last til Christmas??

I read that the Drake student section started a "Hide your laptop" chant, lol.

Royce White: 21 pts, 14 reb, 4 ast
Iowa State 65
Drake 74

Looks like White is living up to expectations but it may not be enough to carry Iowa State this year.

He has one game with a 1.1 point per attempt ratio and one with 1.67. Curious to see which of the two is more accurate.

Those crazy Cyclones, losing a game they were slight money favorites in (and projected as dogs by some). Bunch of guys who haven't played together, why isn't it all coming together by now? And a road game? What were they thinking? Later in the nonconf they travel to Michigan?! Who the heck plays ROAD games in the nonconference? Think Hoiberg will last til Christmas??

Iowa State should be fine but being out-played by Drake with the talent level and balance that team posseses on paper should be considered unacceptable. The Cyclones really believe they can compete for an NCAA Tournament bid and losses like this don't help. By the way, I think Hoiberg will last beyond Christmas, well beyond actually. Sometimes I feel like you can't win on this board. I stick up for the Gophers and praise Tubby, but still get a slightly crude and sarcastic response from Gopher Warrior. I just don't get it...

Iowa State should be fine but being out-played by Drake with the talent level and balance that team posseses on paper should be considered unacceptable. The Cyclones really believe they can compete for an NCAA Tournament bid and losses like this don't help. By the way, I think Hoiberg will last beyond Christmas, well beyond actually. Sometimes I feel like you can't win on this board. I stick up for the Gophers and praise Tubby, but still get a slightly crude and sarcastic response from Gopher Warrior. I just don't get it...

Perhaps, it was a bit premature to talk about coaching based on the outcome of one game?

Watching Iowa State games ... I see that MediaCom has many of their games. With DirecTV, at least for the next week, I don't see any Cyclone games listed with the sports extra package. How are those of you who watched the Drake game getting it? Are you steaming it?

I think it's because many people would view that loss as not a huge surprise considering many of their key players are playing their first season together and first under Hoiberg. It's going to take some time for them all to gel together. They'll probably lose some games against lesser talent, but will be capable of beating almost any team on any given night. It'll be interesting to see how good they are once it gets close to tournament time.

pg-justin cobbs
sg-devoe joseph
sf-royce white
pf-trevor mbakwe
c-mo walker
--
g-dre hollins
g-austin hollins
g-julien welch
f-rodney williams
f-ralph sampson iii

There's a good chance one or both of them wouldn't be on the team if Cobbs and Joseph were still here.

I only mention it because they've been so hyped on this board. I've never bought into it. There are a lot of assumptions (good ones) about Hoiberg that I don't quite understand. I think they'll be a mediocre team.

Ha, sorry my friend, I was just being sarcastic. Don't take it too personal. However, I really do think it's not that big of a deal.. lots of the reactions to early 'upsets' are similar to the stock market.. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Iowa State is largely lab experiment... I think they could wind up pretty good, though. It's not a completely new roster... along with all the newly eligible guys, you have Ejim, Christopherson (granted, he was a transfer years ago)... they'll probably look really impressive some games and like crap in others.

Don't go overboard.
In fairness, if Royce does average 23 pts, 13 rebs, and 3 assists per game like he is averaging right now (in the Big 12 no less), he will be an All-American. No question.

Granted, they haven't played anyone yet, but if he does...AA is a given.

White's stats after three games are really good, except that he's turning the ball over quite a bit (over 5/game against low-level competition). Without a doubt he's an athlete. All-American talk after these games is out of line and premature - but it's hard to say I'm surprised considering the nature of this board and the seemingly inevitable overreactions to all things MN-related. I actually haven't seen him play, but this team looks really good on paper and definitely has a chance to make it to the big dance. That said, conference play is going to be a lot tougher on this new team and with White turning the ball over so much in relatively cush games, it'll be interesting to see how conference play works out for em. I hope nothing but the best for him . . . mainly that he stays out of trouble and focuses on his (basketball, not rap) game. The talent's definitely there for him and that team. A little part of me still holds resentment against him - man we would be good if he was playing ball in MN.

In fairness, if Royce does average 23 pts, 13 rebs, and 3 assists per game like he is averaging right now (in the Big 12 no less), he will be an All-American. No question.

Granted, they haven't played anyone yet, but if he does...AA is a given.

Also 5.5 turnovers. He has been good, but not All-American worthy, at least not this season.

Royce White Against Michigan

I know there have been a ton of post about this guy, but it was fun watching him play a full game today on BTN.

Kid is a flat out stud, almost reminds me of a Beasley 2.0. Sucks he didn't play for us but I really hope he has everything figured out. He is really fun to watch.

I'm not even going to play the "What if" game, not worth it.

22 points and 13 boards so far. He also just had a couple steals too. The Big Ten commentators spent a good couple minutes playing the "what if" Gophers game too. It made me want to steal laptops..

I hate to do this but....

Royce White is a man among boys out there (Iowa St. vs. Michigan, 22 pts., 13 boards, 3 steals, dribbling, dunking). I think I'm more upset at him now than I was years ago when he began his flake-out job. He + Mbakwe + Nolen + Hoff + Joseph + Sampson/Iverson = top-10, maybe top-few team. Digusting, whatever his real problem was, as his behavior began the downfall of what was, at the time, an extremely promising future for Tubby and the Gophers.

If he stays at Iowa State longer than this year, ISU will be a tough team. But I can't see how he plays more than a year or two there before the NBA calls.

Royce looked unbelievable out there...just knowing he has played a handful of games since high school, he looked pretty comfortable as a beast out there against a Top 15 team in the country. I can't imagine where he's going to be once he has a couple dozen games under his belt at the collegiate level.

For those that say he won't be playing in the NBA, go watch the tape of the game today.

It's very rare to see a guy at his size & strength be able to handle the ball and pass it like he does. The fact that they play him at PG for a good amount of the game just goes to show both how they lack a true PG, and how well he can pass it. Although he only had 3-4 assists today, he put his teammates in such a great position that he should've had 7-8 if they had hit 1/2 the shots they should have hit.

Impressive to say the least.

The one part of his game he really needs to work on is his mid-range jumper. If he develops a decent mid-range jumper, he's an easy lottery pick IMO. 6'8'', 270 lbs with his skill set; no brainer.

Yeah, Royce looked like a man among boys there against Michigan. I was grimicing watching him score, board, steal and block. He was involved in almost every play where ISU scrapped back from a blowout deficit. What made it worse were the commentators talking about how fearsome Minnesota would be if Trevor were healthy, and Royce stayed a Gopher.

Sigh. Royce is the crown gem of Tubby's recruits so far, and he's playing on another team.

Considering Royce has not played basketball for a couple of years. He looked scary good.

Yikes, I was going to start a thread if you didn't. He looked very good today. I really hate to think how he could have impacted the gophers. If I am not mistaken, he actually brought the ball up the court on several possessions.

Top Bottom