All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

To go slightly old school, haven't seen that sad of defense since David Grimm trying to guard Glen Robinson.

Most guys big and strong enough to try to defend Royce in the post aren't going to be quick enough to stay in front of him from the perimeter. He's probably going to be doing a lot of that in the non-conference games.

As much as I dislike all the nonsense talk about the NBA as it relates to the prospects of more than half of the Gophers' starting lineup having careers in it, I will say that Royce White is a future pro.

BTW, Lehigh (Iowa State's opponent today) was picked to finish second in the Patriot League behind Bucknell (and some selected Leigh to win the conference).

As much as I dislike all the nonsense talk about the NBA as it relates to the prospects of more than half of the Gophers' starting lineup having careers in it, I will say that Royce White is a future pro.

BTW, Lehigh (Iowa State's opponent today) was picked to finish second in the Patriot League behind Bucknell (and some selected Leigh to win the conference).

GW, by "pro" do you mean Spain or France or the NBA?

GW, by "pro" do you mean Spain or France or the NBA?

Hah, I mean NBA. (I don't think he's listed on most of those draft projection sites yet, but almost all of those sites have proven to be poor at doing what they do.)

The juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Same thing I said to my crazy ass stripper ex girlfriend...sometimes it just isn't worth it.

This! :clap:

There's no doubt he's talented & is gonna be good at ISU (if he can keep it out of the ditch), but he'd worn out his welcome here & even if he's hugely successful at ISU, I don't think he ever would have been at the U. There's no way he could have stayed out of trouble locally with his crew around him & his reputation preceding him.

The timeline as I recall it (?).....

* Kicked out of DeLaSalle High School for academic cheating

* Enrolls at defending state champion Hopkins without the common courtesy of speaking to the coaches/players

* Freaked out on DJ at Pulley game. Threw the basketball at him from behind, stormed off the court & went home

* Kicked out of his dorm at the U

* Kicked out of his second dorm at the U

* Caught stealing at the mall

* Caught on tape assaulting the guard who caught him

* Accused of stealing a laptop from yet another dorm

* Couldn't shut his mouth & let things play out. Made multiple YouTube videos that made things worse.

There's no doubt he's talented & is gonna be good at ISU (if he can keep it out of the ditch), but he'd worn out his welcome here & even if he's hugely successful at ISU, I don't think he ever would have been at the U.

+1. He was not willing to change his way of thinking and life-style when he was with us. There would have been little chance of him being as successful here as he would be elsewhere. Royce needed a fresh start with a new mind set. He's got it in Ames. Good for him. We did not need all the bull he was creating.

Very well-crafted, in-depth article on Royce White. There is a lot in here that I didn't even know and I've sat down with Royce several times:

http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=4548

Of all the incidents he needs to take responsibility for, it's nice to see he's finally taking 1/3 responsibility or the laptop incident, baby steps, but I think in Royce's world, that's progress. What I took away from the article is that he's got a mental illness as was often suggested on this forum & that with the birth of his son perhaps for the first time in his life it's not all about Royce White. Hopefully the change of scenery & the new found motivation of having a child to take care f will be enough to get him through the year & into an NBA contract.

because i am a former player-coach, gophers basketball junkie.

you?

besides defending dp what is your beef?

No beef really-just find it odd that you call a longtime poster a troll. Then you call another poster a dip####. Odd behavior from someone who doesn't like that behavior.

Oh, my comment (why do you post here) was in reference to this specific thread.

The Gophers would be contending for B1G if they just had Royce IMO. And I think he will go to the NBA barring any future attitude issues.

Very well-crafted, in-depth article on Royce White. There is a lot in here that I didn't even know and I've sat down with Royce several times:

http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=4548

Not a shock that you posted this BS. What a load of crap. The guy is a con artist. All the sudden, he is working on a documentry about himself? Lets see what he will say about being kicked out of ISU. Some new disorder will show up?

Go Gophers

There's no doubt he's talented & is gonna be good at ISU (if he can keep it out of the ditch), but he'd worn out his welcome here & even if he's hugely successful at ISU, I don't think he ever would have been at the U. There's no way he could have stayed out of trouble locally with his crew around him & his reputation preceding him.

I pretty much agree with this, though I don't necessarily agree that he couldn't be successful here despite the first year dust ups. He didn't HAVE to leave to mature, but it obviously, getting away probably was a good thing in his case.

But I think anyone who thinks he couldn't help this team a lot from purely the athletic standpoint has to be kidding themselves. He's a difference maker, that's just the way it is, and I'm disappointed we didn't get to see him ball out in a Minnesota uniform. I think we'd be looking at the Tubby era a little differently as well had he been able to play, just my opinion.

What I find kinda sad is last year when Al went down, if Royce were on the team he would've been the best option at PG :/

pg-justin cobbs
sg-devoe joseph
sf-royce white
pf-trevor mbakwe
c-mo walker
--
g-dre hollins
g-austin hollins
g-julien welch
f-rodney williams
f-ralph sampson iii

Haha that's disgusting but I might start Dre over Cobbs.

pg-justin cobbs
sg-devoe joseph
sf-royce white
pf-trevor mbakwe
c-mo walker
--
g-dre hollins
g-austin hollins
g-julien welch
f-rodney williams
f-ralph sampson iii

Not a shock that you posted this BS. What a load of crap. The guy is a con artist. All the sudden, he is working on a documentry about himself? Lets see what he will say about being kicked out of ISU. Some new disorder will show up?

Go Gophers

Cruel, but funny. Lol.

hard to gauge how good he is.. game was against a cupcake.. saw a bit on cable.. he didn't seem to work real hard on D, didn't box out, took a lot of plays off, etc.. we'll see how he does against better comp.

@GophersNowPiPress Gophers Now

@jwoody88 Royce would probably have been allowed to play last season at Minnesota. But he chose to leave because of dealings with U police.

I thought this was an interesting tweet from Marcus today. I would have loved to see a Royce/Trevor frontcourt for 2 years. That said, I don't discount the opinion that Royce will never play a full season.

Man, I just read this part today. This is how the youth of America types? This is exactly why the youth of America should worry a little more about their futures. A couple of mistakes by accident is no big deal at all but to do on purpose is idiotic.
I wouldn't say it was on purpose. My attention to detail lacks alittle writing on a sports blog when it comes to puncuation and spelling, but when I am in my college classes or at work I am not lazy when it comes to my writing.

I wouldn't say it was on purpose. My attention to detail lacks alittle writing on a sports blog when it comes to puncuation and spelling, but when I am in my college classes or at work I am not lazy when it comes to my writing.

Cool-cool.

I read a lot of bad papers everyday. It's making me crazy.

The guy has kept his nose clean for a year and a half and I see that some of you (probably the ones claiming that he would never play a game for ISU) still think he'll flake out and never finish the season. I've had ex-girlfriends be less bitter.

The guy has kept his nose clean for a year and a half

Oh wow! A whole 18 months! Fire up the parade! Can you direct me as to how to nominate him for a Congressional Gold Medal? Who is deserving if not someone who has managed to not be a total f*ck-up for ~540 consecutive days?!?

Looks like Royce's night wasn't quite enough to help the BT rejects beat powerhouse Drake.

Royce White: 21 pts, 14 reb, 4 ast
Iowa State 65
Drake 74

Looks like White is living up to expectations but it may not be enough to carry Iowa State this year.

Top Bottom