All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

If Royce White is gonna be the symbol of Gopher Basketball, I will become a Badger fan. :horse:

I've never rooted so hard against a Minnesota guy in my life. I unabashedly hope he fails. He's a sociopath. Cunning, intelligent, manipulative & completely incorrigible. He's been a problem everywhere he's ever played, except his year at Iowa St (who knows what is said behind closed doors about him there?). He's never once apologized to his victims (why would he, he's so much better than they are.). He cons the gullible & demonizes everyone who's too smart to fall for his act.

He may have a career in politics!

If Royce White is gonna be the symbol of Gopher Basketball, I will become a Badger fan. :horse:

But then you would have to walk both ways uphill through Minnesota to go to an NDSU game.

The whole Klosterman article is rather remarkable, but not unsurprising. It seems that Royce White has diagnosed the near entirety of the U.S. population as mentally ill and needing individualized mental health treatment (but first, him; if you choose to read Klosterman's work, there's an amazing little section where White claims out of one side of his mouth that NBA players are deserving of individualized treatment from doctors, recognizes how this isn't feasible economically, but ignores that he'd be setting a precedent, stating that it would only be written into his contract).

As broadly defined, White is probably correct-you could diagnose about 95% of the population anywhere as mentally ill, if his parameters are the measuring stick (eff the DSM-IV). It reminds me of the joke that everyone I knew in college had about the "are you an alcoholic?" surveys-we all surmised we should be in rehab. White seems to ignore that coping skills and resiliency are required of all functioning members of society.

As has been said countless times already, White seems to be a con-man, but not as good a one as he imagines. Sociopath also is in play, although I'm reluctant to throw around such diagnoses based on public observation, but White just seems to keep thriving on putting himself out there and hitting all the sociopath check marks. I can't imagine that we're that far away from the day when the Rockets and subsequently the NBA decides he's just not worth the trouble. What then? Lawsuits? Sad little attempts to stay in the spotlight, to advance "mental health recognition"? Continuing to woo an entourage of people who are suckered by his smooth talk and align with his persecution complex? Although I don't wish this, I fully expect the police blotter to be a part of his future also; however legitimate or not his mental health claims, White is certainly an attention whore who is basking in its glory right now, but will be spit out of the news cycle before too long and at that point, it won't be a pretty thing.

One last comment for now-whether fair or not, White's continued saga makes me lose respect for Fred Hoiberg and what's happening down at Iowa State. Every time his college experience is alluded to, the words 'carte blanche' pop to mind when considering his time in Ames.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8890734/chuck-klosterman-royce-white

Somewhere, Kevin McHale is banging his head against a wall.

White's demands go unheeded, as he reports to D-League Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Scores 7 points with 8 rebounds and 4 assists in 18 minutes of play.

Royce white is on Dr Phil right now talking about his anxiety and OCD pretty interesting if you haven't heard to much about it.

Jim Souhan column: Royce White fearlessly forges a new path

He signed with the Gophers. With them, he was arrested for shoplifting and fifth-degree assault after an altercation with a security guard at the Mall of America. The university police named him a person of interest in the theft of a laptop. White recorded a YouTube video saying he was quitting basketball, and eventually transferred to Iowa State.

"I obviously was involved in the incident at the mall where we were shoplifting," he said. "It was stupid stuff, a bet. If you were watching a movie you would probably laugh at it. That doesn't mean it was OK, doesn't justify it, I don't believe in crime, but it was just petty.

"As far as what happened with the laptop, you're talking about something I had nothing to do with."

White said that at Minnesota, he had an entourage of friends from his neighborhood.

"I would never forsake them," he said. "A lot of it was believing that them being around me was safer than spending time where they came from. I've had a lot of black friends die. Killed. Shot. That was the reality of where they live. The message I kept hearing was, 'Don't blow your opportunity because of these people.' It was almost as if, because I had a scholarship, my life meant more than theirs. I didn't stand for that then, and I don't stand for it now."

White lauded Gophers coach Tubby Smith and his son Saul, an assistant coach, saying: "Tubby Smith is a great coach. I love him to death to this day, and his wife is incredible. Saul and all the coaches were incredible. They did what they needed to do for themselves. I understand how Coach Smith couldn't risk his job for me, nor could the athletic director or president. But the reality is that a lot of things that happened there weren't right."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/194405351.html

Go Gophers!!

@ryanisemeyer: @HPbasketball Royce White just got ejected from a D League game that he drove 34 hours one way to

@ryanisemeyer: @HPbasketball Royce White just got ejected from a D League game that he drove 34 hours one way to

One tweeter said he had road rage. 7pts in 26mins will not get you back on the big stage.

David Hinojosa ‏@hinojosa_david
If you are scoring at home, Royce White has been ejected in two of the six games he's played for the @rgvvipers

Brian J Pickett ‏@BrianPickett
Getting ejected is a good way to beat the traffic when you have a long trip. Good work Royce White.

He's never had a problem with saying the right things and what people want to hear. Actions speak much louder than words.

True.

@clutchfans-
Royce White ejected again tonight. He finished with 7 points, 2 boards, 1 assist, 4 turnovers, 5 fouls, 2 technical fouls in 25 minutes

A 34 hour drive just one way??? How can anyone possibly play well under those circumstances.

One tweeter said he had road rage. 7pts in 26mins will not get you back on the big stage.

David Hinojosa ‏@hinojosa_david
If you are scoring at home, Royce White has been ejected in two of the six games he's played for the @rgvvipers

Brian J Pickett ‏@BrianPickett
Getting ejected is a good way to beat the traffic when you have a long trip. Good work Royce White.

Which begs two questions:

1. Does this bring more attention to the seriousness of his 'issues'?

2. Are the technical fouls and ejections intentional or unintentional on Royce's part?

Can you tell I don't trust him?

Referees must not take kindly to his arrogant recitation of quotes from subsections of the NBA rule book after he is charged with a foul.

I am reffing.

Opening tip occurs.

Royce looks at me, I T him up.

Royce looks at me again, I T him up.

He gone 3.2 seconds into the game.

Play ball.

I am reffing.

Opening tip occurs.

Royce looks at me, I T him up.

Royce looks at me again, I T him up.

He gone 3.2 seconds into the game.

Play ball.

So you're saying this hard-ass image you have is not an act?

Royce White: Many in the NBA want me gone

White told HuffPost Live: "If I was to make an educated guess, I would guess that Adam Silver and David Stern and the Rockets organization, some other owners in the league, GMs, want me gone. And why do they want me gone? Because business is about convenience, not about doing what's necessary. It's about cutting overhead... And a lot of times, what's best for us as human beings doesn't meet that criteria for business people."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/198991011.html

Go Gophers!!

White told HuffPost Live: "If I was to make an educated guess, I would guess that Adam Silver and David Stern and the Rockets organization, some other owners in the league, GMs, want me gone. And why do they want me gone? Because business is about convenience, not about doing what's necessary. It's about cutting overhead... And a lot of times, what's best for us as human beings doesn't meet that criteria for business people."

Go Gophers!!

Royce be finding out that anyone the NBA wants gone, can just as easily be gone. They don't have to play or continue to sign you Royce.

Go Gophers!!

poor guy...

I thought Tubby should have tried to keep him. I'm glad he didn't. The more this self centered idiot rants the more I realize he's a bad human being. He is doing more harm for mental health issues than good. Bet the kid hasn't ever did a days work in his entitled life.

Royce White will be the hero of all of mankind.

Go Gophers!!

To summarize: "Everyone is screwing me over. None of this is my fault."

I thought Tubby should have tried to keep him. I'm glad he didn't. The more this self centered idiot rants the more I realize he's a bad human being. He is doing more harm for mental health issues than good. Bet the kid hasn't ever did a days work in his entitled life.

I don't think he's a bad person by nature but I do think he's overinflated his ego and importance in regards to the issue of anxiety to compensate for the unease and anxiety he experiences. It's a defense and control mechanism that will only depart when he better gets a handle on his own anxiety.

Royce White leaves D-League team

Houston Rockets rookie Royce White is saying on Twitter that he's returning to Houston at the advice of a team doctor, and his time with the Rockets' developmental league team in the Rio Grande Valley may be over.

Houston's first-round pick said Thursday morning: "Have been advised by our team physician it is most logical I be in Houston the remainder of the season. Thank you (at)rgvvipers for having me."

A spokesman for the Rockets says White, whose acknowledged anxiety disorder has kept him from playing for Houston this season, is still on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers roster.

He says the team will have no further comment.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...on-rockets-leaves-d-league-team-doctor-advice

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom