All Things Riley Mahlman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Offered)

As a Mn sports fan I would take the brewers, bucks, and even Marquette at this point.
Bucks will be nothing as soon as Giannis leaves. Twins are better than the Brewers this year and most of my lifetime. Something tells me you're not a MN sports fan.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Riley is regarded as one of the next big in-state recruits, so figured we'd start a thread following his recruitment and HS career.

https://247sports.com/Player/Riley-Mahlman-46053457/

Go Gophers!!

My nephew plays offensive tackle at Totino Grace and his team lost to Lakeville South, but they had Mahlman playing defense against him. My nephew knocked him down a couple times and was pretty proud of that! He is a good player but probably not D-1, but it was fun for him competing against a kid like Mahlman who is wanted by everyone and sure-fire D-1. He is hoping to get on with St. Thomas after high school. The point is you hate losing a kid like Mahlman but you move on to the next guy on the board. It would be nice to get him but you take the ones who want to be here and move on. There are a lot of good players out there!

Bucks will be nothing as soon as Giannis leaves. Twins are better than the Brewers this year and most of my lifetime. Something tells me you're not a MN sports fan.

Nice hot takes, sport. Apart from the Warriors, which NBA team would be a contender after losing a league MVP? That's a helluva limited frame for fandom. You must love the Patriots.

Having grown up in WI, I can tell you the Brewers draw a great crowd even when they suck, given they are the smallest market in MLB.

Nice hot takes, sport. Apart from the Warriors, which NBA team would be a contender after losing a league MVP? That's a helluva limited frame for fandom. You must love the Patriots.

Having grown up in WI, I can tell you the Brewers draw a great crowd even when they suck, given they are the smallest market in MLB.
I know lots of hard core packer fans that are from Wisconsin that cheer for the twins. Brewers past success and fandom ain't what the twins have. Plus their stadium is an airplane hangar.

Miller Park is the worst stadium in baseball. It is a furnace in the summer and is in a horrible location. It is just awful.

Not denying they don't draw well even when they're bad. But the roof really helps early on. The Brewers averaged about 34K in March/April this year while the Twins just under 17K. They also have 10 pretty easy sell outs or near sell outs each season because of their close proximity to Chicago.

Listed as starting RT for Wisconsin. Beat out former 5 star tackle Logan Brown for the starting role.

Listed as starting RT for Wisconsin. Beat out former 5 star tackle Logan Brown for the starting role.
I think this is a good point to bring up the recruiting rankings...regarding WI being higher than us. Surely this 5* offensive tackle helped boost WI's class ahead of ours, but that player will now be on the sidelines while a different highly rated player at the same position beat him out. In other words, getting 2-3 highly rated OTs each class shouldn't count as much since no one rotates offensive lineman.

I think @some_guy made a similar comment in another thread yesterday.

I think this is a good point to bring up the recruiting rankings...regarding WI being higher than us. Surely this 5* offensive tackle helped boost WI's class ahead of ours, but that player will now be on the sidelines while a different highly rated player at the same position beat him out. In other words, getting 2-3 highly rated OTs each class shouldn't count as much since no one rotates offensive lineman.

Except Wisconsin did in fact rotate linemen quite frequently last year. That's why many of their fans were pissed and all but demanding a OL Coach change.

I would tend to disagree, as football is all about depth. Knowing that their backup is a 5* RsJr and our backup is a 3* RsJr is worth something. Additionally having to beat out a 5* for your position probably forces Mahlman to be better than he might be on our team.

I would tend to disagree, as football is all about depth. Knowing that their backup is a 5* RsJr and our backup is a 3* RsJr is worth something. Additionally having to beat out a 5* for your position probably forces Mahlman to be better than he might be on our team.
Good reply. I think this is one case where *both* sides can find truth in their argument. It certainly is better to have higher-quality backups, and I was ignoring that point. I had tunnel vision and was thinking more like analogous recruiting on the D-line would be totally different, like if we got 4 really good defensive ends to them getting 4 really good offensive tackles, that should favor us a lot more since we'll play all 4 regardless, whereas WI will only play 2 OTs (except as noted above by "I'm a maroon 2!" above.

Top Bottom