All Things Riley Mahlman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Offered)

I took both my sons to Gopher football games and we would watch them on TV. My oldest is a Gopher fan still and my youngest unfortunately is not. He liked the Gophers, but when he was 8 I took him to his first Gopher game, which happened to be vs. Iowa. Final score Iowa 55 - Gophers 0, from that point on he became an Iowa fan. Had he been a D1 caliber player with offers from both the U and Iowa he would have taken the Iowa offer in a heartbeat. Just because the parents may follow the Gophers, doesn't mean that kids will do the same. Our ineptness for long stretches doesn't help with younger kids wanting to become Gophers.

Fair point.

What I'm suggesting however is that we seem to have a lot more of the "Oh, yeh, I'm a fan but I don't really want to go there".

Versus a WI kid, you have about 7 uncles, 2 grand parents, and 9 crazy aunts who are going to question the hell out of you if you don't dream to become a Packer or Badger because all 18 of them have been buying you Badger and Packer gear for the last 17 years force-feeding you that Wisconsin is the only acceptable answer should you go to college. It's close to an unhealthy obsession.

Ultimately, it's better for kids to go where they think it's the best fit for them personally, and having a broad view of your options should be commended.
But if there is any "State Loyalty Index", for some reason Minnesotans have to have the very, very lowest amount by a very large degree.

Couple that with the fact we only have one Division one school in the whole state, and it's an FBS / Big Ten school, I find that incredibly odd.
Maybe there are other states where there is similar happening. (Georgia losing kids to Bama or something?) But it seems to have been going on here very long and from a basketball perspective it seems to be getting worse, and on the football side, Fleck hasn't been able to stop it despite his ability to recruit okay.

Wait, I thought PJ was all about keeping your commitment and staying loyal and not taking visits after committing. Would he really contribute to society's problems by trying to flip a kid who's already committed?

We've had plenty of kids flip to us.

I was sitting very near Riley and presumably his dad at the GSU game. I honestly didn't know it was him, til seeing this post. But he stood out as he was a big kid, but also cause he was wearing his letterman's jacket. If it was him, he was very disinterested in the game.. mainly on his cell phone. Too bad, wish he picked us, and certainly wish it was anywhere but Wisconsin. GSU game should have had him thinking he could come in and play soon based on the OLine play. I don't ever get to up or down on MN kids leaving for other schools. Everyone has their own interests, and frankly, Minnesota does have a tendency for quickly forget the hometown kid staying home if their play disappoints (Mitch Leidner for one). Can't wish Riley well at Wisconsin, but have now ill will either.

In the past four years, WMU has had as many offensive lineman drafted as Wisconsin.

Since 2009, Wisconsin has had 12 OL drafted in the NFL:

2009 3 15 79 Kraig Urbik G Pittsburgh Steelers —
2011 1 29 29 Gabe Carimi T Chicago Bears —
2011 3 11 75 John Moffitt G Seattle Seahawks —
2011 7 49 252 Bill Nagy C Dallas Cowboys —
2012 1 27 27 Kevin Zeitler G Cincinnati Bengals —
2012 2 23 55 Peter Konz C Atlanta Falcons —
2013 1 31 31 Travis Frederick C Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
2013 5 35 168 Ricky Wagner T Baltimore Ravens —
2015 2 25 57 Rob Havenstein T St. Louis Rams —
2017 1 32 32 Ryan Ramczyk T New Orleans Saints —
2019 3 14 78 Michael Deiter OL Miami Dolphins —
2019 5 31 169 David Edwards OL Los Angeles Rams —

I was sitting very near Riley and presumably his dad at the GSU game. I honestly didn't know it was him, til seeing this post. But he stood out as he was a big kid, but also cause he was wearing his letterman's jacket. If it was him, he was very disinterested in the game.. mainly on his cell phone. Too bad, wish he picked us, and certainly wish it was anywhere but Wisconsin. GSU game should have had him thinking he could come in and play soon based on the OLine play. I don't ever get to up or down on MN kids leaving for other schools. Everyone has their own interests, and frankly, Minnesota does have a tendency for quickly forget the hometown kid staying home if their play disappoints (Mitch Leidner for one). Can't wish Riley well at Wisconsin, but have now ill will either.

I don't have a problem with him picking where he wants to go.

But it appears to be a bigger problem with Minnesota kids than most other states endure and I'm not sure why.

As a kid that grew up in Wisconsin, the badgers are as big of a deal as the packers. Then I came to college in Minneapolis this year and was pretty suprised that no one is gopher fans. I can't find anyone to watch the games with! The loyalty to the badgers from wisconsinites is WAAYY higher than loyalty to the gophers.

What’s he under investigation for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably accepted a bribe from Sconnie to direct a player their way. Which is fine with us, we've cooled on him.

I love recruiting...

As a kid that grew up in Wisconsin, the badgers are as big of a deal as the packers. Then I came to college in Minneapolis this year and was pretty suprised that no one is gopher fans. I can't find anyone to watch the games with! The loyalty to the badgers from wisconsinites is WAAYY higher than loyalty to the gophers.

Thats simply not true.

Yes. I'd agree with you. If dressing your whole family in red (Badgers) or green (Packers) on game day while they all disinterestedly go about their regular business is loyalty, and more frequently post meme's when their team wins, even though only dad watched, then yes, they are more loyal.

It's a bit cult-like in some ways in that many of the Badger / Packer fans believe they are big fans, but many know little about football, their current roster, whether the team they are playing is any good, etc.
They were just brought up as Badger or Packer fans and never really question it, even though they don't really watch football.

It really goes to a State Pride thing. They are borderline defensive about it. It's why I think it's weird when many move to Minnesota, and raise their kids in Minnesota, but they keep trying to raise their kids to be Wisconsin fans. What is it about the state you live in that you don't embrace it at some point?

Last edited:

Speaking of the coach, have we gotten any Lakeville South players?

Other than the Leidner brothers I don't recall any others in my time following the team.

Thanks.
Tough nut for PJ to crack down there.

PJ isn't for everyone, must not have been for Krebs.

Thanks.
Tough nut for PJ to crack down there.

PJ isn't for everyone, must not have been for Krebs.

Clay Geary

and to be fair, there's only been the Leidner brothers, Geary, and Josh Corcoran (N. Illinois; UDFA to Chargers and then released) from LSHS until Mahlman. Lots of DII kids!

Last edited:

Wait, I thought PJ was all about keeping your commitment and staying loyal and not taking visits after committing. Would he really contribute to society's problems by trying to flip a kid who's already committed?

His whole thing was you're not really committed if you're looking elsewhere. I think that was his main point. Look elsewhere if you want, but then the staff doesn't consider you committed anymore.

Clay Geary

and to be fair, there's only been the Leidner brothers, Geary, and Josh Corcoran (N. Illinois; UDFA to Chargers and then released) from LSHS until Mahlman. Lots of DII kids!

Thanks.

Yeah, it's crazy. But Badgers/Packers is all Wisconsin has

Since 2016, Wisconsin has had 3 OL drafted in the NFL:

2017 1 32 32 Ryan Ramczyk T New Orleans Saints —
2019 3 14 78 Michael Deiter OL Miami Dolphins —
2019 5 31 169 David Edwards OL Los Angeles Rams —

Yes, like I said, in the past four years, WMU has had as many offensive lineman drafted as Wisconsin.

Clay Geary

Eric Rousemiller too who was a gopher PWO lineman. Was the #1 player in the state after his sophomore year, ahead of Blaise and Jermaine Johnson but then fell off the map and walked on here.

Eric Rousemiller too who was a gopher PWO lineman. Was the #1 player in the state after his sophomore year, ahead of Blaise and Jermaine Johnson but then fell off the map and walked on here.

Good catch! Correct. I think he's throwing on the Track team. (I'm not looking it up due to laziness.)

Rousemiller dad is on coaching staff at LSHS...oline and big in strength, weightlifting. I have heard he is not a fan of Fleck.

Claeys offensive coordinator Jay Johnson and his dad were Lakeville guys.

Troy Wolkow a great Gopher from Lakeville.

Rousemiller dad is on coaching staff at LSHS...oline and big in strength, weightlifting. I have heard he is not a fan of Fleck.

Claeys offensive coordinator Jay Johnson and his dad were Lakeville guys.

Troy Wolkow a great Gopher from Lakeville.

Andy Metz too. If you want to go way back, you also have Lance and Todd Wolkow, plus John Guentzel and Adam Grim. All Lakeville ppl that played at the U.

Last edited:

Top Bottom