All Things Riley Mahlman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Offered)

He attended the Minn-GSU game and the Wisc-Mich game. After watching the performances of the two offensive lines in those games, I guess I can’t blame him? Other than that, I suppose he could have waited a while to commit, since he’s only a Junior? I don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I hate to say it, I don't blame an O-lineman for going to WI. They produce OL significantly better than the Gophers have.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't blame an O-lineman for going to WI. They produce OL significantly better than the Gophers have.

He should have waited a year.

When you commit, Barry starts an active steroid program. He will have to start on Monday.

This is not good for your body at such a young age.

When you commit, Barry starts an active steroid program. He will have to start on Monday.

Not that we have any evidence of that, but you do have to wonder how much steroid use there is in college football. Do they regularly test for steroids?

Not that we have any evidence of that, but you do have to wonder how much steroid use there is in college football. Do they regularly test for steroids?

They don't test at all. Do you think that Wisconsin is all natural year after year? LMAO

Yes.

"The NCAA tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships."

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/ncaa-drug-testing-program

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ssi/substance/2019-20SSI_DrugTestingProgramBooklet.pdf

My sister was on the golf team at the U a few years ago and said they watch you when you pee in the cup as well.

Trashy post. Come on, aren't you better than this?

Yes.

"The NCAA tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships."

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/ncaa-drug-testing-program

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ssi/substance/2019-20SSI_DrugTestingProgramBooklet.pdf

My sister was on the golf team at the U a few years ago and said they watch you when you pee in the cup as well.
Stage fright could get you booted off the team.

Cant blame an o line kid for choosing UW over the u. If he wants to get to the next level UW is where you go. They prolly have a dozen guys playing on sundays right now. Do the Gophers have any o lineman playing on sundays? If you want to start recruiting at a higher level you have to start putting kids in the league.

Cant blame an o line kid for choosing UW over the u. If he wants to get to the next level UW is where you go. They prolly have a dozen guys playing on sundays right now. Do the Gophers have any o lineman playing on sundays? If you want to start recruiting at a higher level you have to start putting kids in the league.

No although Fleck/Callahan had lineman drafted in the second, third and fourth round at WMU.

That sucks.

We lose a lot of Basketball kids to WI as well.

This. Losing out on recruits to the blue bloods hurts but losing out to Wisconsin just plain sucks.

Makes you wonder if these kids grow up with parents watching the Gophers or not, or if many of these have family ties to WI.
I get some just choosing to go to a different college than the one they grew up watching because it's a legitimate better fit, but we seem to have a low number who have the home-state pride of their local team.
Maybe the parents are from out of state in a number of these cases.

Odd deal. Been going on forever.

I would guess what is also different now is you can pick any college team as your favorite team at watch every game if you want. So regardless of where you grow up, if you want to be a Boise St fan or a UCLA fan, chances are you can find most of their games.
That should also work to MN's advantage as well with nationwide recruiting, but then you need to constantly market your program somehow so it becomes a national name.

Last edited:

^^^hometown team or not i think you're severely underestimating how unappealing it is to a kid to watch "your" team have little to no on court/field success while also putting no one into the NBA/NFL.

Start winning consistently. Put kids in the pros. The problem will take care of itself.

Makes you wonder if these kids grow up with parents watching the Gophers or not, or if many of these have family ties to WI.
I get some just choosing to go to a different college than the one they grew up watching because it's a legitimate better fit, but we seem to have a low number who have the home-state pride of their local team.

I would guess what is also different now is you can pick any college team as your favorite team at watch every game if you want. So regardless of where you grow up, if you want to be a Boise St fan or a UCLA fan, chances are you can find most of their games.
That should also work to MN's advantage as well with nationwide recruiting, but then you need to constantly market your program somehow so it becomes a national name.

In this case, both parents are SCSU Alumni. Dad played football up there and mom played Volleyball. Dad is from Rochester. I can't recall where mom is originally from.

As far as the bolded, lack of consistent relevancy is why, even with athletically interested families, the Gophers are an afterthought and often times 2nd page news. With the exception of GHers, we don't have many die hard fans.

In this case, both parents are SCSU Alumni. Dad played football up there and mom played Volleyball. Dad is from Rochester. I can't recall where mom is originally from.

As far as the bolded, lack of consistent relevancy is why, even with athletically interested families, the Gophers are an afterthought and often times 2nd page news. With the exception of GHers, we don't have many die hard fans.

Most die hards I know avoid Gopherhole.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can't fault a lineman from going to WI. They send a lot of players to the NFL. I gotta imagine that's the ultimate motivation for most kids that want to play at the next level.

I took both my sons to Gopher football games and we would watch them on TV. My oldest is a Gopher fan still and my youngest unfortunately is not. He liked the Gophers, but when he was 8 I took him to his first Gopher game, which happened to be vs. Iowa. Final score Iowa 55 - Gophers 0, from that point on he became an Iowa fan. Had he been a D1 caliber player with offers from both the U and Iowa he would have taken the Iowa offer in a heartbeat. Just because the parents may follow the Gophers, doesn't mean that kids will do the same. Our ineptness for long stretches doesn't help with younger kids wanting to become Gophers.

"I wasn't a die hard Gopher fan, but I always kind of rooted for them," said Mahlman. "Madison is just a great city and a great town. You mix that with the great sports teams and coaches, it's going to draw a lot of people there."

"Wisconsin makes the best offensive lineman. The coaching there is unreal. I just want to be a part of it."

https://247sports.com/college/wisco...gers-Football-Recruiting-Commtment-135971822/

Or, maybe he's just afraid to be a legend.

15 months until he can sign.

Wait, I thought PJ was all about keeping your commitment and staying loyal and not taking visits after committing. Would he really contribute to society's problems by trying to flip a kid who's already committed?

Top Bottom