All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

per Shama:

If Not U, Jeff Jones Headed to Iowa CC?
May 30, 2014 - (0) comments

Jeff Jones, the nationally recognized Washburn High School running back who is arguably the prize recruit in the 2014 Gophers football class, could be headed to Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs.

Jones needs a higher score on his ACT test to be accepted by the University of Minnesota. He will take the test for a fourth time on June 14. Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins declined to specify what score Jones needs to become eligible to play for Minnesota this year.

“I honestly think he is going to get it (the improved score),” Jenkins told Sports Headliners. “He’s improved each time. He is confident he’s going to get it. He knows junior college is not where he wants to be.”

Jenkins said if Jones doesn’t qualify for admission to Minnesota he will need to spend two years at a community college and earn a degree to then have immediate eligibility at an NCAA program, presumably the Gophers.

Jenkins has spoken with Iowa Western coach Scott Strohmeier and is enthusiastic about the program that is annually a national power. Jenkins described the Reivers, who won the 2012 National Junior College Athletic Association championship, as a “great program” that has sent more than 20 players to Division I schools the last two years. “It’s definitely a program he (Jeff) wants to be part of,” Jenkins said.

But Jones, of course, would rather be a Gopher, fulfilling the commitment he made in February when he signed his national letter of intent binding him to Minnesota. Jones is the only Rivals.com four-star recruit in the Gophers 2014 recruiting class. He turned heads playing in the prestigious Under Armour All-America Game in Florida last January, gaining 72 yards and being named Team Nitro MVP.

In past years the best Minnesota football preps have chosen schools other than the Gophers so Jones’ commitment to play for his hometown team is viewed as a step forward for UM coach Jerry Kill.

In pursuit of a qualifying ACT score, the 6-foot, 200-pound Jones could take encouragement from former Washburn tight end Ra’Shede Hageman who didn’t become eligible to play for the Gophers until June of his senior year. Hageman became an All-Big Ten defensive lineman and was selected in the second round of this year’s NFL Draft by the Falcons.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting that Jenkins declined to specify what score is needed to Shama but Doogie claims it is one point. Also nice knowing that he has improved each time he has taken it.

he will have to improve on previous scores to be academically eligible to play as a freshman. Is this an issue of eligibility or acceptance?

he will have to improve on previous scores to be academically eligible to play as a freshman. Is this an issue of eligibility or acceptance?

NCAA eligibility.

If he's eligible, the U is accepting him.

per Sid:

Jeff Jones, the outstanding Minneapolis Washburn High School running back who has signed with the Gophers, will take his final ACT exam Saturday, and he will have to improve on previous scores to be academically eligible to play as a freshman.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/262258001.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

said this a long time ago. he is not getting in to minnesota. sorry but there was a reason all the top programs backed off and it wasn't his talent.

said this a long time ago. he is not getting in to minnesota. sorry but there was a reason all the top programs backed off and it wasn't his talent.

So you know how he's going to do on his re-take of the ACT, despite the fact that he hasn't taken it yet? Do your powers of clairvoyance extend to knowing the results of future games? If I were you, I'd use this power to make yourself tons of money gambling and then you wouldn't have to mingle here with us peons.

Oh, right, I forgot - you're a know-nothing Vadger tool.

So you know how he's going to do on his re-take of the ACT, despite the fact that he hasn't taken it yet? Do your powers of clairvoyance extend to knowing the results of future games? If I were you, I'd use this power to make yourself tons of money gambling and then you wouldn't have to mingle here with us peons.

+1. Dpod made me laugh.

Do you know exactly what he has to do to become eligible? He has to improve his ACT score by 1 point. If you still believe what you said than fine but lets not act like he as to make a 10 point improvement and thats why all of the programs backed off.

I just always like when people "declare" things before they happen so they can toot their horn if it happens. Of course, if they're wrong, they typically just disappear for a long while so hey, no consequences!

I just always like when people "declare" things before they happen so they can toot their horn if it happens. Of course, if they're wrong, they typically just disappear for a long while so hey, no consequences!

I won't name names but we do have a few posters here that are very good at digging back through old threads and finding ways to point out when someone has been wrong in the past but in general I agree with your statement that it is really easy to say you know exactly how it is all going to play out when no one, outside of those directly involved, really knows what is going on.

Clearly though it was well known he was going to have some difficulties getting into school (which has played out here this summer) or he would have gotten more attention from the big schools than he did based on the obvious talent he has. Hopefully he gets the score he needs this weekend.

its been so long since I qualified, but if he takes the test on June 14th will the results be back by say the 21st?

its been so long since I qualified, but if he takes the test on June 14th will the results be back by say the 21st?

Normally it's 2-3 weeks. Test result have been coming quickly this year apparently though.

Most Badger fans I've encountered fall into one of two categories.

1. If their teams are winning, they're automatically better at life and therefore smarter than you (see above post).

and,

2. Too drunk or stupid (mostly both) to know how to behave in public places (ie...sporting events).

Once you acknowledge these two mindsets, Badger fans become pretty predictable and less upsetting to be around. For example, a Badger chiming in on a recruit they never were going to get anyway just to say "see, I told you so" falls under category one.

Of course, there are some exceptions. But after having lived in Wisconsin for seven years, I can tell you those are few and far between.

The earliest that we will here something is the 25th with the 1st of July being more reasonable. We all know the time line, the test on Saturday the 14th, then 2 to 3 weeks for the numbers to come back. Scores have been coming back sooner than normal this year but it's unlikely that the turnaround will be 10 days or less.

The earliest that we will here something is the 25th with the 1st of July being more reasonable. We all know the time line, the test on Saturday the 14th, then 2 to 3 weeks for the numbers to come back. Scores have been coming back sooner than normal this year but it's unlikely that the turnaround will be 10 days or less.

yeah it would be nice if this thread would only see activity when there is actual news as opposed to pointless speculation or random bumps just for the sake of moving it to the top of the list when there is no new info of any kind.

Top Bottom