All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Yes, i understand that. He will have to go 2 years if he goes to JuCo. I am asking about if whether he plays or not while at JuCo will determine how many years of eligibity he will have after that. If he only attends JuCo and doesn't actually play then would he have 5 years to play 4 here? If he redshirts in his first year JuCo but plays the second year which to my understanding is what DC did then he will have 3 to play 3? That is what i am asking about.

He has 5 to play 4 regardless of where he starts or finishes.

The clock starts running if he enrolls in college, it doesn't if he enrolls in a prep school, don't forget about the prep school option!

The clock starts running if he enrolls in college, it doesn't if he enrolls in a prep school, don't forget about the prep school option!

I could be wrong but isn't the prep school option only available to guys that don't graduate from high school? Not totally familiar with Jones situation but doesn't sound like he won't graduate just that he might not have the necessary GPA or test scores to qualify for the U out of high school.

I could be wrong but isn't the prep school option only available to guys that don't graduate from high school? Not totally familiar with Jones situation but doesn't sound like he won't graduate just that he might not have the necessary GPA or test scores to qualify for the U out of high school.

I think you're right.

Larry Fitz left immediately for a prep school to get his grades up after his Sr football season at AHA. Then on to Pitt.

I think you're right.

Larry Fitz left immediately for a prep school to get his grades up after his Sr football season at AHA. Then on to Pitt.

Didn't Josh Campion go to prep school (Fork Union Military Academy VA) after graduating from HS? Does he have four years to play 3, or does he have four years of college eligibility?

Didn't Josh Campion go to prep school (Fork Union Military Academy VA) after graduating from HS? Does he have four years to play 3, or does he have four years of college eligibility?

He has 5 to play 4. He is will be a RS Jr for this year. And he played football at prep school.

So apparently Doogie just confirmed that he is 1 ACT point away from qualifying on twitter.

That is good. Better than what the situation seemed like just a few weeks ago. I want to say there is about a 60% chance or so but i feel like he is studying so much more for the ACT than the average student would so it may be higher.

That is good. Better than what the situation seemed like just a few weeks ago. I want to say there is about a 60% chance or so but i feel like he is studying so much more for the ACT than the average student would so it may be higher.
Ladies and gentlemen, the next Nate Silver. My statistical analysis only came up with a 42.5% chance. I was way off.

2 weeks ago it was ACT is good but needs grades..now its ACT needs 1 pt. so, it is clear...we know 0.

2 weeks ago it was ACT is good but needs grades..now its ACT needs 1 pt. so, it is clear...we know 0.

Let me explain it. So a few weeks ago he needed to increase his ACT by 1 AND increase his GPA by 0.2. He has already increased his ACT by 1 point so all he needed to do was increase his GPA by 0.2. Than they realized that there isn't enough time in the year to increase his GPA so he has to raise his ACT score by 1 point again. Its not that nobody knows anything.

Let me explain it. So a few weeks ago he needed to increase his ACT by 1 AND increase his GPA by 0.2. He has already increased his GPA by 1 point so all he needed to do was increase his GPA by 0.2. Than they realized that there isn't enough time in the year to increase his GPA so he has to raise his ACT score by 1 point again. Its not that nobody knows anything.

And therein lies the reason why we are all so confused that gossip reigns supreme.

And therein lies the reason why we are all so confused that gossip reigns supreme.

Yep we have a ton of people that seem to know exactly what he needs to do yet they all seem to have slightly different versions. I choose to keep it simple and look at it like this. If the season started today he would be ineligible. Hopefully between now and the start of fall camp he will get whatever he needs done and become eligible.

None of us has any clue if he will become eligible and agonizing over a half point in this or a quarter point in this is just a massive waste of time. If/when he becomes eligible it will be big news around here, until then just let the whole thing play out and see what happens.

Let me explain it. So a few weeks ago he needed to increase his ACT by 1 AND increase his GPA by 0.2. He has already increased his GPA by 1 point so all he needed to do was increase his GPA by 0.2. Than they realized that there isn't enough time in the year to increase his GPA so he has to raise his ACT score by 1 point again. Its not that nobody knows anything.

DING DING DING!

People get confused in that, there is a minimum qualifying ACT score, then depending on that score, there is a sliding GPA scale. What we knew two weeks ago was that he had a qualifying ACT score but not a qualifying GPA. If the report is accurate, then Jones needs to improve his ACT by 1, that is very doable, familiarity with the test might be enough alone. I would think that between test prep and familiarity the odds are about 75% he makes it.

People get confused in that, there is a minimum qualifying ACT score, then depending on that score, there is a sliding GPA scale. What we knew two weeks ago was that he had a qualifying ACT score but not a qualifying GPA. If the report is accurate, then Jones needs to improve his ACT by 1, that is very doable, familiarity with the test might be enough alone. I would think that between test prep and familiarity the odds are about 75% he makes it.

Why does everyone keep explaining this? Who is still confused? Its a room of people explaining something we all know to a group that all knows it.

per Shama:

If Not U, Jeff Jones Headed to Iowa CC?
May 30, 2014 - (0) comments

Jeff Jones, the nationally recognized Washburn High School running back who is arguably the prize recruit in the 2014 Gophers football class, could be headed to Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs.

Jones needs a higher score on his ACT test to be accepted by the University of Minnesota. He will take the test for a fourth time on June 14. Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins declined to specify what score Jones needs to become eligible to play for Minnesota this year.

“I honestly think he is going to get it (the improved score),” Jenkins told Sports Headliners. “He’s improved each time. He is confident he’s going to get it. He knows junior college is not where he wants to be.”

Jenkins said if Jones doesn’t qualify for admission to Minnesota he will need to spend two years at a community college and earn a degree to then have immediate eligibility at an NCAA program, presumably the Gophers.

Jenkins has spoken with Iowa Western coach Scott Strohmeier and is enthusiastic about the program that is annually a national power. Jenkins described the Reivers, who won the 2012 National Junior College Athletic Association championship, as a “great program” that has sent more than 20 players to Division I schools the last two years. “It’s definitely a program he (Jeff) wants to be part of,” Jenkins said.

But Jones, of course, would rather be a Gopher, fulfilling the commitment he made in February when he signed his national letter of intent binding him to Minnesota. Jones is the only Rivals.com four-star recruit in the Gophers 2014 recruiting class. He turned heads playing in the prestigious Under Armour All-America Game in Florida last January, gaining 72 yards and being named Team Nitro MVP.

In past years the best Minnesota football preps have chosen schools other than the Gophers so Jones’ commitment to play for his hometown team is viewed as a step forward for UM coach Jerry Kill.

In pursuit of a qualifying ACT score, the 6-foot, 200-pound Jones could take encouragement from former Washburn tight end Ra’Shede Hageman who didn’t become eligible to play for the Gophers until June of his senior year. Hageman became an All-Big Ten defensive lineman and was selected in the second round of this year’s NFL Draft by the Falcons.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom