All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

That escalated quickly. It's not often I miss an entire argument without throwing in my devil's advocate type comment, but I guess I missed the boat today.

So...uh...how about that Jeff Jones guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't Kill have most recruits start in June for summer session? That would mean things needed to be submitted a couple weeks ago?? LOL I'm assuming he'd come in a bit behind schedule for fall camp then.

i believe so usually. you technically can practice while they review your file, but are restricted from games so he still could come on while he's being reviewed. at least that's my understanding

i believe so usually. you technically can practice while they review your file, but are restricted from games so he still could come on while he's being reviewed. at least that's my understanding

Yes. Gray did that for part of the fall before his official Fr year 12-months later.

How about we get some updates!

Did you have a hard time waiting for Christmas? I doubt if there will be anything new about this until his grades are posted and he completes his rework. Meanwhile, remember no peaking at the presents until then.:)

I read a review of that album once. Can't post it though ;)

And their next album: "Couldn't God have rested on that day too?"

love it! every year we need a season breakdown compiled with Spinal Tap stuff.

Did you have a hard time waiting for Christmas? I doubt if there will be anything new about this until his grades are posted and he completes his rework. Meanwhile, remember no peaking at the presents until then.:)

I admit i enjoy the Chinese Whispers.

Having lived in Minnesota my entire life, I know how this story ends. I won't spoil it for everyone though.

I admit i enjoy the Chinese Whispers.

I learned something new. Here is the idiom definition for 'Chinese whispers'.

When a story is told from person to person, especially if it is gossip or scandal, it inevitably gets distorted and exaggerated. This process is called Chinese whispers.

And here I always thought it was always called 'GopherHole whispers'.:rolleyes:

Just curious about Jeff Jones. Are we still waiting for the test results or does he have to take it again?

He got a qualifying score in terms of his ACT results however he still has to increase his GPA. He will still be taking the ACT in June as if he can increase his score even higher then he won't have to have to raise his GPA.

According to this Strib article, if Jones doesn't raise his ACT score on June 14th he won't be eligible. Given his current ACT score, he wouldn't have time to increase his GPA enough to become eligible. Sounds like June 14th is the big day.

"Jeff Jones improved his ACT score April 12, but the Minneapolis Washburn running back will need to improve it again June 14 to become academically eligible for the Gophers this fall, Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins said.

Jones, ranked by Rivals.com as the nation’s seventh-best running back recruit, had a rough year academically as a sophomore and has been trying to make up for it. The NCAA uses a sliding scale to determine eligibility, correlating grade-point average with ACT scores. Jenkins said Jones won’t have time to raise his GPA enough to qualify, based on his current ACT score."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/260042981.html

According to this Strib article, if Jones doesn't raise his ACT score on June 14th he won't be eligible. Given his current ACT score, he wouldn't have time to increase his GPA enough to become eligible. Sounds like June 14th is the big day.

"Jeff Jones improved his ACT score April 12, but the Minneapolis Washburn running back will need to improve it again June 14 to become academically eligible for the Gophers this fall, Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins said.

Jones, ranked by Rivals.com as the nation’s seventh-best running back recruit, had a rough year academically as a sophomore and has been trying to make up for it. The NCAA uses a sliding scale to determine eligibility, correlating grade-point average with ACT scores. Jenkins said Jones won’t have time to raise his GPA enough to qualify, based on his current ACT score."

All true Gopher fans know how this will end.

Crap - with a capital C.

Glad we have a good RB returning and a potential difference-maker in Edwards. I always thought it was unlikely Jones would not qualify. It's why all of the big time programs lost interest.

Wouldn't it be a kicker if he improved his ACT enough to qualify and then the NCAA flagged it for improving too much ala Marquis Gray.

Still really hoping he does it. I like our RB group even w/o him, but feel JJ is the best of the bunch. Good Luck Jeff!

Do they still have partial qualifiers where he would be able to enroll and practice like a red shirt but not play this year and if he makes academic progress would become eligible next year? I just don't want him going to some Juco. get him on campus and working with our academic support.

Do they still have partial qualifiers where he would be able to enroll and practice like a red shirt but not play this year and if he makes academic progress would become eligible next year? I just don't want him going to some Juco. get him on campus and working with our academic support.

Maybe? Although I though situations like that were for athletes that met the NCAA requirements for a scholarship but not the Universities requirements. Or something like that. I'm fairly certain Jones' problem is with NCAA eligibility. If he meets the bare minimum for that, I'm sure the U would let him in. However if he doesn't meet NCAA eligibility for a scholarship, he might be stiff out of luck. In order to do something like a grey shirt, he'd have to be admitted as a normal student and we know he has no shot at that.

Maybe? Although I though situations like that were for athletes that met the NCAA requirements for a scholarship but not the Universities requirements. Or something like that. I'm fairly certain Jones' problem is with NCAA eligibility. If he meets the bare minimum for that, I'm sure the U would let him in. However if he doesn't meet NCAA eligibility for a scholarship, he might be stiff out of luck. In order to do something like a grey shirt, he'd have to be admitted as a normal student and we know he has no shot at that.

IDK. Would make sense that a partial qualifier met one of the two requirements (GPA or Test Score) but not both so they may qualify for school but not meet NCAA standards to play.

If you want to look it up it was proposition 48. I believe it changed in 2010.

It isn't time to move on yet, but it isn't good. I, like Madtown, doubted and continue to doubt that he will get in.

This doesn't really change anything too much. You had to figure that he would have to raise in ACT score instead of his GPA to get in and i wouldn't quite call it "unlikely" that he gets in.

Top Bottom