All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

on his 247 profile it now lists Florida as having no interest and their isn't an official scheduled on his timeline to UF. i assume they accidentally got it mixed up with Michigan which is good since they were a bigger threat then UF

Very interesting. If something is going on with UF, it means good things for the Gophers.

We are now recruiting Jonathan Celestin who attends the same HS as Rodney Smith. Celestin is getting interest from Jacksonville State (Shortell's school), Temple and a few others. No major reported offers.

But, Burns states he is getting info from a Gopher commit, last time I checked Rodney had NOT a committed.

Interesting that we are going after another RB, what is this supposed to mean?

But, Burns states he is getting info from a Gopher commit, last time I checked Rodney had NOT a committed.

He also talked to the michigan and fla rivals guys and they think Jones is going to be a gopher. Folks, its a lot of people guessing.

We've been going after another RB all season long. All it means is they either want 2 RB's this class or a guy like Smith is a backup plan for Jones in case he goes elsewhere or doesn't qualify. Smith is expected to announce within the next few days though, could be us or ECU.

We've been going after another RB all season long. All it means is they either want 2 RB's this class or a guy like Smith is a backup plan for Jones in case he goes elsewhere or doesn't qualify. Smith is expected to announce within the next few days though, could be us or ECU.

Makes sense. I would say that we are only going to take 1 back in this class and that Rodney is a back up option for Jones, so was Herrod and Thompson. The former just got sick of waiting around and took other offers that were on the table. I would expect Smith to do the same thing and commit to ECU in the next few days. If that is the case, and he does commit to ECU I would also guarantee that if JJ de-commits he would jump on the offer here. Think that JJ sticks though!

Because they decided to maintain their academic integrity for the sake of a single player?

yes, the entire academic integrity of Maryland was at stake by have JN attend. JN was a once in a lifetime athlete of the David Winfield style and you make a place for them.

This thread was started in April of 2012. Fans and coaches have been excited about Jeff Jones for a very long time. I think and hope he realizes that fact. Also, hopefully he sees that our system is set up for success for the entire team and especially for running backs.

I just read the first few pages for fun. This thread has come a long way and taken some interesting turns since then.

While both of the things posted earlier are true, Burns' tweet was referring to Everett Williams talking to Coach Poore, who basically just said that they feel good about their chances with Holland and Lenius. Nothing all that groundbreaking really. Also, this doesn't really belong in this thread so the mods should feel free to move it and all other related posts to the 2014 Recruiting Thread.

what position is Everrett Williams suppose to play? i literally haven't seen a single post on him besides when he committed. Easily the least talked about commit we have

We interviewed future Gopher women's basketball player Carlie Wagner this weekend, shortly after she and Jeff Jones shook hands. We asked her about it and here is that part of the Q&A:

Gopher Hole: I saw that you shook Jeff Jones' hand after your game. Have you gotten to know him and some of the other non-basketball recruits at Minnesota?

Carlie Wagner: I talked to him before the game. He came up to me and was talking to me and stuff. He is really nice and cool. He said that he is going to the Gophers for football, too and I said "I'll see you there." I told him good luck on his game and he seems like a really nice guy.

Gopher Hole: He was Minnesota's Mr. Football.

Carlie Wagner: I didn't know that. That is really cool. I just shook Mr. Football's hand. I didn't even know it.

Gopher Hole: He might have shaken Ms. Basketball's hand, too.

Carlie Wagner: It is going to be a good one (race for the top girl's player in the state) this year. I don't know.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/341488?referrer_id=388419

We interviewed future Gopher women's basketball player Carlie Wagner this weekend, shortly after she and Jeff Jones shook hands. We asked her about it and here is that part of the Q&A:

Gopher Hole: I saw that you shook Jeff Jones' hand after your game. Have you gotten to know him and some of the other non-basketball recruits at Minnesota?

Carlie Wagner: I talked to him before the game. He came up to me and was talking to me and stuff. He is really nice and cool. He said that he is going to the Gophers for football, too and I said "I'll see you there." I told him good luck on his game and he seems like a really nice guy.

Carlie Wagner: I didn't know that. That is really cool. I just shook Mr. Football's hand. I didn't even know it.

Carlie Wagner: It is going to be a good one (race for the top girl's player in the state) this year. I don't know.

I know I had Carlie Wagner breaking the news in my office pool. Anyone else?

Internet steam is looking more like Jones is off Florida and Michigan's radar FWIW.
Possibly they aren't willing to wait on those ACT scores to come in, and we are.
Things are finally picking up recruitingwise. Should be fun this week.

As someone hailing from Waseca (about 15 minutes from New Richland), It's pretty amazing what Wagner has done for that team. NR is a pretty dinky little town (just over 1,000 people and two restaurants, that's about it) but people come from all over the area to go to their women's basketball games. I was just back home a couple of weeks ago and apparently people show up well before the games to guarantee a seat.

Internet steam is looking more like Jones is off Florida and Michigan's radar FWIW.
Possibly they aren't willing to wait on those ACT scores to come in, and we are.
Things are finally picking up recruitingwise. Should be fun this week.

where did you hear that about Florida?

where did you hear that about Florida?

Just that they early enrolled another back already, and are supposedly on a bunch of bigger commits in other positions.
I just think that's a terrible fit for Jones on top of it all. Far away from family, coaching staff under intense scrutiny(might not last to next Jan), tons of pressure to produce right away(which is why another back enrolling already matters, Jones would be behind to another back in his same class already).

Just that they early enrolled another back already, and are supposedly on a bunch of bigger commits in other positions.
I just think that's a terrible fit for Jones on top of it all. Far away from family, coaching staff under intense scrutiny(might not last to next Jan), tons of pressure to produce right away(which is why another back enrolling already matters, Jones would be behind to another back in his same class already).
Powell is enrolling early?

I wonder if Carlie's revelation in that interview will move Jeff off the soft verbal list on all the sites?

Powell is enrolling early?

Yes. Also, Florida is running out of room fast and are still in the race for a few high-level players. Florida's 247 site doesn't even have Jones visiting this weekend anymore. Sure seems like Jones will be a Gopher as long as his ACT score is good enough.

Yes. Also, Florida is running out of room fast and are still in the race for a few high-level players. Florida's 247 site doesn't even have Jones visiting this weekend anymore. Sure seems like Jones will be a Gopher as long as his ACT score is good enough.

I think the 247 guys got it confused with Michigan. but apparently Thomas Rawls, Michigan's senior running back isn't going to transfer anymore

So JJ has confirmed he will make his announcement on NSD. I really hope he (and Frank) stays home with the coaches and fans that want him most - the suspense is killing me though.

GoGophers

Joe C. is fine at what he does, but he is no Carlie Wagner.

he only needs to score one point higher to qualify and he has 3 chances to do that so i'm not quite as worried as i was when Jeff said "After I take the ACT, I'll know for sure if I am going to be eligible or not. That is going to give it all away."

Top Bottom