All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Jeff ends up at #78 (12th RB) in the final Scout rankings
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&pid=88&yr=2014

From 87 to 78, I had a feeling that his scout and rivals rank wouldn't move too much since they already knew he was capable of doing what he did. With rankings of 137, 92, 78 and 55 he is more highly ranked then Gordon, Clement, Clay, White or Ball which is a big pride thing for me personally, I think Derrick Green will be the only RB more highly ranked in the big ten then Jeff during his career here

From 87 to 78, I had a feeling that his scout and rivals rank wouldn't move too much since they already knew he was capable of doing what he did. With rankings of 137, 92, 78 and 55 he is more highly ranked then Gordon, Clement, Clay, White or Ball which is a big pride thing for me personally, I think Derrick Green will be the only RB more highly ranked in the big ten then Jeff during his career here

I'd be willing to bet in the next 3-4 years a Big Ten team gets a consensus top 75 player who happens to play RB. That player would then be more highly ranked than Jones.

I'd be willing to bet in the next 3-4 years a Big Ten team gets a consensus top 75 player who happens to play RB. That player would then be more highly ranked than Jones.

You mean Damien Harris next year (committed to Michigan).

yeah but if you look around the conference Jeff is higher ranked then Gordon, White, Abdullah, Hyde, Langford, Coleman or any other starting RB in the conference right now, OSU and Michigan had freshman this year(besides Green) that were about as highly ranked as Jeff but none were better, unfortunately the big ten doesn't get very many of consensus top 75 players anymore compared to the SEC at least

yeah but if you look around the conference Jeff is higher ranked then Gordon, White, Abdullah, Hyde, Langford, Coleman or any other starting RB in the conference right now, OSU and Michigan had freshman this year(besides Green) that were about as highly ranked as Jeff but none were better, unfortunately the big ten doesn't get very many of consensus top 75 players anymore compared to the SEC at least

That is true. The Big Ten has suffered with the problems with the rust belt. You won't compete well if the country grows as a whole, but the region you live in shrinks.

Free trade and automation killed Big Ten football, especially the Wolverines.

I could give 2 craps about rankings. Michigan has had top 15 class after top 15 class and had a worse season than the gophers. I understand there is a higher probability of success due to the fact that scouts see more potential. But it is just that, potential.

Don't get me wrong, would be a huge get for us. Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in these rankings.

I love the predictions that are made AFTER someone commits and they count it as correct.

BN2CkBq.jpg

The Crystal Ball has had all sorts of bugs that the tech team is working on. It's a new feature, so there's some kinks to be worked out. There's also been talk of letting/not letting people crystal ball soft commits and if points should be awarded for soft commits, how crystal balling PWOs should work, etc.

ESPN Chat Wrap:

Steven from MN: In my opinion, the competition level of college football is too top-heavy. And the reason for this is summed up well by the Jeff Jones situation. I don't expect Minnesota to keep him because top HS players are more interested in getting to the more "elite" programs, if at all possible. If the trend continues, fans of middling programs like Minnesota's might as well throw real expectations out the window, right?

Adam Rittenberg: I don't think you should lower your expectations that easily, Steven. That said, it has to be discouraging for Minnesota to keep losing top in-state players to name-brand programs. Jeff Jones would be an excellent addition if Minnesota keeps him, but few would be surprised if he signs elsewhere. Minnesota has to make its program as attractive as possible for local prospects to stay home. That includes upgrading the practice facilities, which are outdated in the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/94102/big-ten-thursday-chat-wrap-6

Go Gophers!!

Is there anything Jeff can't do?! Here's his buzzer beating game winning shot from last night! Wow.

Is there anything Jeff can't do?! Here's his buzzer beating game winning shot from last night! Wow.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfe9STUyO0

Watching Jeff Jones play basketball as we speak. He made the Florida Gator "Eat 'Em Up" movement with his arms during player intros. Before that, he was flushing home monster dunks in warmups. He's much bigger than I thought. Is there any chance he stay with his original commitment? My source says Gators.

Watching Jeff Jones play basketball as we speak. He made the Florida Gator "Eat 'Em Up" movement with his arms during player intros. Before that, he was flushing home monster dunks in warmups. He's much bigger than I thought. Is there any chance he stay with his original commitment? My source says Gators.

Your source? What source? Florida is the team I'm least worried about.

"Source" hehehe

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

My source said Gators as well. Then I flushed it.

Your source? What source? Florida is the team I'm least worried about.

LOL. If I revealed my source I suppose it wouldn't be a source anymore would it? Not breaking news, but it's looking more and more like he's not going to play for Minnesota, and this is a big story. He's a solid, fast and highly-recruited RB that could make a serious impact on this team. Losing him to Florida, or even worse Michigan, would be a giant blow to the recruiting class as a whole. He would have been the centerpiece of the 2014 class and without him, the rest of the recruits don't look as solid; less well-rounded. Stelter is great and Connor Mayes even better, but without Jones, there are no impact offensive players in the class. Right now, Kill has five 3 stars and two 4 stars (counting Jones) committed for 2014. Not good...
On another note, Jones was a very bad sport tonight against Waseca. He complained a lot to the refs, didn't huddle with the team during TOs when his team was losing and completely segregated himself with his jersey over his head when he fouled out. Poor sport.

LOL. If I revealed my source I suppose it wouldn't be a source anymore would it? Not breaking news, but it's looking more and more like he's not going to play for Minnesota, and this is a big story. He's a solid, fast and highly-recruited RB that could make a serious impact on this team. Losing him to Florida, or even worse Michigan, would be a giant blow to the recruiting class as a whole. He would have been the centerpiece of the 2014 class and without him, the rest of the recruits don't look as solid; less well-rounded. Stelter is great and Connor Mayes even better, but without Jones, there are no impact offensive players in the class. Right now, Kill has five 3 stars and two 4 stars (counting Jones) committed for 2014. Not good...
On another note, Jones was a very bad sport tonight against Waseca. He complained a lot to the refs, didn't huddle with the team during TOs when his team was losing and completely segregated himself with his jersey over his head when he fouled out. Poor sport.

Yeah, um... according to Ryan Burns it is looking more and more likely that Jones WILL be a Gopher. Now who should I trust more :rolleyes:

Lol. My sources say that he will forget about sports and work towards a degree in air conditioning repair. Hmmm......now that I think about it.......that source sounds ridiculous. Still not as ridiculous as BGF and his 'source'.

My thing is, if you actually had a source, wouldn't you be able to do more than just speculate between Michigan and Florida? And you said losing him "would be a giant blow". "Would" indicates that you believe its only a possibility, with no hard evidence. You contradicted yourself throughout the whole comment, which is why I will not buy what your saying. I still think he's comfortable with Mnnesota.

Lol. My sources say that he will forget about sports and work towards a degree in air conditioning repair. Hmmm......now that I think about it.......that source sounds ridiculous. Still not as ridiculous as BGF and his 'source'.

Not sure if you we're referencing this at all but I can't pass up an opportunity to post some Troy Barnes

60 pages by you guys and the kid might not even be eligible if he doesn't do well on the ACT!

If you reveal who your source is, it doesn't automatically mean they aren't a source anymore. Not sure you know what that word means. Not that I'd believe you have a reliable source anyway, but every person who is legitimately plugged in and connected to Jeff firmly believes the Gophers are still the favorite and Michigan is the team to worry about, not Florida. You're full of $h!t.

What uniform combo does everyone feel Jeff Jones would do best in?

Guys, relax. I don't pretend like I'm plugged into the program, so that whole thing can just stop right there. I have been hearing from a trusted person that the Gators are very attractive to Jeff Jones.

Well, most recruiting experts feel that Florida and Michigan are probably full. Or that they view Jones as a Plan B.

Bummer for the Gophs if he feels he can build trust in short order with a coaching staff on the hot seat.

Top Bottom