All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

1.) 'broken tackle' <> 'missed tackle'
2.) you obviously weren't a viking fan during those great days of choppy footed Herschel.
3.) many GHers are pegging JJ as a first day starter.. i'm not saying its a bad thing he doesn't start, i'm saying is a probable thing he doesn't start. your disagreement is with the other GHers...not me..

1.) By definition, every broken tackle by a running back is a missed tackle by the defender. What's your point?

2.) I was, but this might be the worst argument in the history of Gopherhole (in other words. . .your worst attempt at a point). Herschel Walker is one of the greatest college football players of all time. Literally, he was an All American 3 times and a Heisman winner. He went on to have a very good NFL career. If any RB in this class (or any class in the next 10 years) has a collegiate and pro career like Walker's. . .they'd be a legend for whatever school they chose. Literally, a legend.

3.) You made the point. You said it as a rip on Jeff Jones. If any poster thinks Jones is going to start next season, I'd disagree with them. However, I am not saying Jones won't be a starter as a rip on the kid, I just think it's tough for a FR to overtake a productive SR.

Gore has a lower center of gravity... and is powerful at the point of contact... always going forward..
i have never seen JJ... only the tape on this thread.. and something out on youtube..
like i said earlier, he does cut well. but in the tapes, i dont see power at the point of contact... i.e. he isn't a 'load' to bring down. Gore is a load.

Jones is 3-4" taller than Gore so of course Gore will have a lower center of Gravity. If you watched Gore in college before his injuries he could snap a cut off in stride without missing a step. JJ has the same hips and feet. You think he is going to get 5 yards and it ends up being 11 because he makes a move and slides by a defender. The vision to see the slightest hole or the next move before it needs to be made is also similar. He plays with more power than what shows. Even in many of his games he had to make more moves than he should have around the line because his blockers were not the best or they had 11 guys in the box. Every team that played Washburn tried to stop JJ. Gore is a lofty comparison because he is a Pro Bowl back, I understand that.

If you watched some of his games versus 7 minutes of tape your opinion would be different. While there is no guarantee with any recruit he is one of the most dominate players I have seen in awhile.

I guess it's better than being out of the picture. . .

I would bet the coaches have a better overall feel for what he is ultimately going to do but I have a feeling this one is going to keep us guessing right up to signing day. The good news is that means there is only another 2+ weeks worth of speculation on what he is going to decide to do.

Gopher's definitely not out of the picture?

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3281400.shtml?cat=7

When he talked about how strong a relationship he has with Kill and the staff I got the sense that we are sitting well with him. He also said it is not easy to "rebuild that kind of relationship with another staff." So I think these late offers will be a little too late. He also seemed to be kind of irritated that a team like Florida wasn't on to him earlier.

Will Ragnow's decision influence Jeff's decision? They would push this recruiting class to a very good level!

Frank adn Jeff would make this a very good Class. Hope they have Gopher colors on when all is said and done

When he talked about how strong a relationship he has with Kill and the staff I got the sense that we are sitting well with him. He also said it is not easy to "rebuild that kind of relationship with another staff." So I think these late offers will be a little too late. He also seemed to be kind of irritated that a team like Florida wasn't on to him earlier.

Also, his comments about us not being out of the picture were based on him hearing that Minnesota fans thought he was out of the picture.

He'd be great catching passes out of the backfield for us, and it looks like he'd be good with read option and delay plays. Good at breaking tackles out in space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a lesson can be learned here? Remember back to Seantrel Henderson, I'm not comparing these two kids, but both are/were heavily recruited. I have a feeling things could have possibly turned out different, if Seantrel choose to stay home. The grass is not always greener.

Maybe a lesson can be learned here? Remember back to Seantrel Henderson, I'm not comparing these two kids, but both are/were heavily recruited. I have a feeling things could have possibly turned out different, if Seantrel choose to stay home. The grass is not always greener.

For every Hageman, there's a Maresh. For every Henderson, there's a Laurinaitis.

Also, his comments about us not being out of the picture were based on him hearing that Minnesota fans thought he was out of the picture.
He'd be great catching passes out of the backfield for us, and it looks like he'd be good with read option and delay plays. Good at breaking tackles out in space.

exactly. so quit saying he's gone to those that are saying that. time will tell but everyone telling this kid how badly we want him to and believe he will come here definitely does not hurt

I agree. Without any inside info at all I feel confident that he'll stick with his commitment to Minnesota. His recent interview with Ch 5, for one, seemed to reinforce that feeling for me. He mentioned being proud that he was representing Minnesota athletes and his comfort with the Gopher coaches. Sure, he could break our hearts but I just don't see it.

I agree. Without any inside info at all I feel confident that he'll stick with his commitment to Minnesota. His recent interview with Ch 5, for one, seemed to reinforce that feeling for me. He mentioned being proud that he was representing Minnesota athletes and his comfort with the Gopher coaches. Sure, he could break our hearts but I just don't see it.

I think the problem with all this is that given that he has already given a verbal he could end the speculation so easily by just saying he was 100% committed to Minnesota but clearly he is enjoying the attention and wants to milk this process for everything he can get out of it.

Hopefully he comes here when it is all said and done but I wouldn't put much stock in any of his comments right now because he obviously wants to play out the process (as he is totally within his rights to do).

I think the problem with all this is that given that he has already given a verbal he could end the speculation so easily by just saying he was 100% committed to Minnesota but clearly he is enjoying the attention and wants to milk this process for everything he can get out of it.

Hopefully he comes here when it is all said and done but I wouldn't put much stock in any of his comments right now because he obviously wants to play out the process (as he is totally within his rights to do).

He also could have 100% decommitted at any point, but hasn't.

He also could have 100% decommitted at any point, but hasn't.

Yep which is exactly why I said I don't think we will really know what he is going to do until signing day no matter what comments he makes between now and then.

Jerry K has honored his part of the agreement by not courting (publicly) another high profile RB. yes, yes D johnson

He seems like a humble kid that is happy to be in the postion he is in.

He gave a verbal committment quite early in the process because it looked like he felt strongly about Jerry Kill and Brian Anderson and the coaching staff at Minnesota, and this is home to him, he is not a transplant like many of the number one kids have been in recent memory. Combine that with lack of overall program success the last decade and we have a challenge at Minnesota in keeping the best home.
What 17 or 18 year doesn't enjoy publicity or exposure. Michigan and Florida were late to the offer party because likely the Minneapolis conference reputation as not being a strong conference was likely a limiting factor, allthough there are some good players that come from that confernece and probably some summer camp exposure might have affected him. He probably feels good about the other offers and it is fantastic to have a running back of his caliber in our backyard so of course Gopher fans are paying a lot of attention to him. What kid doens't like to be recoginized.
We have been talking about this kid since he was a younger kid, a Sophmore in high school. Because we have been spurned by the likes of Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Henderson, Mobley the lists goes on and on going back to the Wacker years Gopher fans are a little sensitive when heralded players leave and go to play for someone else.

I would hope that Jeff Jones in the end chooses to play for the Gophers as much as anyone else, he seems like an outstanding running back and we have not had that until David Cobb emerged this year. Can you blame a kid at taking looks when big time programs with Helmet sticker status like Florida, Florida State and Michigan, Michigan State take notice and start offering even to take visits to warm spots with our crappy winter. Hopefully he sees that we can offer him early playing time, good coaching, and a shot at being a big fish, a star player and a remembered kid, one that little kids will likely get to buy his #21 jersey. He will have kids that will want to be like him and many local kids will want to emulate and play like him because he is from here. Nothing is given but Jones has the potential to earn those types of accolades and playing time at Minnesota. In the end, all we can hope for as Gopher fans is that the impression the Coaches and coach Kill have made will be enough to keep him home. If he chooses to leave I will wish him luck, but I'm a Gopher fan first and foremost so like the rest we will move on if he chooses to leave.

Jerry K has honored his part of the agreement by not courting (publicly) another high profile RB. yes, yes D johnson

I believe Coach wants 2 RB's this class. Jeff Jones and Rodney Smith. I'm guessing Smith commits on the 20th when Coach Kill pays his in-home visit. He does have an OV scheduled with Southern Miss on the 24th, however.

Jones continues his rise
Running back Jeff Jones (Minneapolis/Washburn) has been rising up everyone’s board for the past month. He was a late entry into the ESPN 300 and now finds himself on the way up once again. Moving up 44 spots to No. 137 overall, Jones recently picked up offers from Florida and Michigan. He is still currently committed to Minnesota, but it looks as though the Wolverines and Gophers will battle it out for the four-star back.

He gave a verbal committment quite early in the process because it looked like he felt strongly about Jerry Kill and Brian Anderson and the coaching staff at Minnesota, and this is home to him, he is not a transplant like many of the number one kids have been in recent memory. Combine that with lack of overall program success the last decade and we have a challenge at Minnesota in keeping the best home.
What 17 or 18 year doesn't enjoy publicity or exposure. Michigan and Florida were late to the offer party because likely the Minneapolis conference reputation as not being a strong conference was likely a limiting factor, allthough there are some good players that come from that confernece and probably some summer camp exposure might have affected him. He probably feels good about the other offers and it is fantastic to have a running back of his caliber in our backyard so of course Gopher fans are paying a lot of attention to him. What kid doens't like to be recoginized.
We have been talking about this kid since he was a younger kid, a Sophmore in high school. Because we have been spurned by the likes of Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Henderson, Mobley the lists goes on and on going back to the Wacker years Gopher fans are a little sensitive when heralded players leave and go to play for someone else.

I would hope that Jeff Jones in the end chooses to play for the Gophers as much as anyone else, he seems like an outstanding running back and we have not had that until David Cobb emerged this year. Can you blame a kid at taking looks when big time programs with Helmet sticker status like Florida, Florida State and Michigan, Michigan State take notice and start offering even to take visits to warm spots with our crappy winter. Hopefully he sees that we can offer him early playing time, good coaching, and a shot at being a big fish, a star player and a remembered kid, one that little kids will likely get to buy his #21 jersey. He will have kids that will want to be like him and many local kids will want to emulate and play like him because he is from here. Nothing is given but Jones has the potential to earn those types of accolades and playing time at Minnesota. In the end, all we can hope for as Gopher fans is that the impression the Coaches and coach Kill have made will be enough to keep him home. If he chooses to leave I will wish him luck, but I'm a Gopher fan first and foremost so like the rest we will move on if he chooses to leave.

Very well said. Agree with the entire post.

I'm starting to think that most 247 guys are downright clueless (especially the out of state guys). New predictions seem to come out of no where based on the prestige of the latest schools to offer. After Florida offered, they were the majority pick but now they are back to 10% after Michigan offers.

I'm starting to think that most 247 guys are downright clueless (especially the out of state guys). New predictions seem to come out of no where based on the prestige of the latest schools to offer. After Florida offered, they were the majority pick but now they are back to 10% after Michigan offers.

I love the predictions that are made AFTER someone commits and they count it as correct.

BN2CkBq.jpg

Top Bottom