All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

I just saw last night on ESPN that Missouri's leading rusher is leaving early for the draft. Wasn't Mizzou on JJ's final list? Is this going to be a problem?

I wouldn't worry about Missouri.

But Jeff has set up an official for Michigan following his official to Florida. I'd say those two and Michigan State are the ones to watch (barring any other late offers)

Any effect on the Jones recruitment?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Coach Hoke announced today that offensive coordinator Al Borges will not be retained for 2014 season: <a href="http://t.co/ajUsTBIuMu">http://t.co/ajUsTBIuMu</a></p>— Michigan Football (@umichfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/umichfootball/statuses/421038435801890817">January 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any effect on the Jones recruitment?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Coach Hoke announced today that offensive coordinator Al Borges will not be retained for 2014 season: <a href="http://t.co/ajUsTBIuMu">http://t.co/ajUsTBIuMu</a></p>— Michigan Football (@umichfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/umichfootball/statuses/421038435801890817">January 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This has to make MI less attractive.

it would be better if Jones had already built a relationship with him and then he went but he never really knew him that well to begin with but it definitely doesn't hurt

He fired Borges? To me Michigan's offense was not the problem, it was the defensive side of the ball and specifically the area that Hoke himself coaches the defensive line in not getting off the football field. That is why they finished so horrendously, there line play on the D side of the ball ended the season attrociously bad. Surprised that Al Borges was made a scapegoat. Hoke should take a snapshot of himself it was his guy's that let the team down.

He fired Borges? To me Michigan's offense was not the problem, it was the defensive side of the ball and specifically the area that Hoke himself coaches the defensive line in not getting off the football field. That is why they finished so horrendously, there line play on the D side of the ball ended the season attrociously bad. Surprised that Al Borges was made a scapegoat. Hoke should take a snapshot of himself it was his guy's that let the team down.
the offense was the problem for UM

Maybe. Maybe not. Does Jones have a relationship with him? What if they hire a new offensive coordinator that likes to run more?

I'm going to assume he doesn't have a relationship with TBD. That was my point.

I'm going to assume he doesn't have a relationship with TBD. That was my point.

But if he doesn't have a relationship with that coach, then why would him not returning make Michigan less attractive? I don't know much about the guy, so I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just asking. I have no idea how this affects Jones.

But if he doesn't have a relationship with that coach, then why would him not returning make Michigan less attractive? I don't know much about the guy, so I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just asking. I have no idea how this affects Jones.
Jeff Jones has previously said, that coaching stability and his relationship with the coaches and players, will be factors in where he decides to go. Borges being fired at Michigan matters at least from the coaching stability viewpoint.

would imagine Borges firing hurts Jones' recruitment for Mich, unless they bring in an assistant from somewhere that he has known for a long time. Right now it looks like a big turnover could be happening at Mich, which is something Jones has said is important to him. Interesting

Jeff Jones has previously said, that coaching stability and his relationship with the coaches and players, will be factors in where he decides to go. Borges being fired at Michigan matters at least from the coaching stability viewpoint.

Ah good point. Wasn't thinking about that.

4 star RB Durrell Scott will be deciding between South Carolina, Tennessee and UF and has scheduled an official with UF which will be his last visit

To me Michigan's offense was not the problem...

When was the last time a team was held to negative rushing yards in consecutive games? For that to happen at Michigan, with their line, a veteran QB, and their skill-position talent adds up to only one conclusion for me...Borges had to go.

Michigan just brought in the OC from Alabama.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Michigan just brought in the OC from Alabama.

Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will become the new Michigan offensive coordinator, a source told CBS Wednesday. The move was driven by a strong recruiting effort by coach Brady Hoke and Wolverines AD Dave Brandon that included a robust financial commitment to Nussmeier, who now will be among the five highest-paid coordinators in college football, according to the source.

Scuttlebutt is that he and Saban didn't always see eye to eye, and Nussmeier sees this as a quicker path to being a head coach. So this is really just a stepping stone job for him, as to be expected for any hot coach.

It is funny how Michigan will upgrade with cash. Minnesota is known for being stingy donors to the U. We need to change that. Time to pony up.

Florida got a commitment from 3 star RB Brandon Powell. Not sure if that affects their recruitment of Jones or not.

Florida got a commitment from 3 star RB Brandon Powell. Not sure if that affects their recruitment of Jones or not.

he is a 4 star and top 300 ESPN and top 200 Rivals, it would be better if he was a 220 bruiser which would effectively end UF's recruitment of other RBs where Brandon Powell is a 170 all purpose back that will play in the slot a lot and they will still try to find another back but it still helps a lot. Hopefully RB just went down on their priority list

Didn't see this posted yet. Jeff Jones highlights from the UA game.

Didn't see this posted yet. Jeff Jones highlights from the UA game.

Didn't see the game live but Jeff looks like he is a really good check down option even if the QB throws the ball low or behind. I see now why the Big boys are starting to notice, he is not just a good back the kid can catch. I doubt he stays four years anywhere when he hits 21 he will be entering the draft.

Didn't see the game live but Jeff looks like he is a really good check down option even if the QB throws the ball low or behind. I see now why the Big boys are starting to notice, he is not just a good back the kid can catch. I doubt he stays four years anywhere when he hits 21 he will be entering the draft.

Wow. He has really good hands. He could easily be a receiver, a very good receiver.

He seems to hit the hole well, and he does run with some power. However, his speed for a RB does seem to be average.

He's definitely a big time college RB recruit.

Just you tube his game films. He didn't have the best Oline and makes everybody miss. Watch the vision. Outstanding.

This gentlemen is good and would be a very good "get" for the Gophers. With his leadship he will be glad that he stuck with Gophers and will lead the Gophers to a successful run.

That is really a good piece of analysis.

#1: Jeff Jones did break tackles.
#2: You just called it a negative that he runs like Herschel Walker. Ya know that guy that won the Heisman? The three-time All American? Yeah, that's a huge negative.
#3: You insinuated that it's a bad thing that he wouldn't start over Cobb. Cobb is a returning SR and 1000 yard rusher, Jones would have to be phenomenal to even take carries away from Cobb (which he might do).

That is really a good piece of analysis.

#1: Jeff Jones did break tackles.
#2: You just called it a negative that he runs like Herschel Walker. Ya know that guy that won the Heisman? The three-time All American? Yeah, that's a huge negative.
#3: You insinuated that it's a bad thing that he wouldn't start over Cobb. Cobb is a returning SR and 1000 yard rusher, Jones would have to be phenomenal to even take carries away from Cobb (which he might do).

1.) 'broken tackle' <> 'missed tackle'
2.) you obviously weren't a viking fan during those great days of choppy footed Herschel.
3.) many GHers are pegging JJ as a first day starter.. i'm not saying its a bad thing he doesn't start, i'm saying is a probable thing he doesn't start. your disagreement is with the other GHers...not me..

Top Bottom