All Things Michael Hurt Rochester JM (Class of 2016)

A short clip? Are you kidding me? Better than Wally how could he do worse. By the way Wally couldn't shot and was suppose to be a great athlete, all the talk was about his high jumping. People bitch about instate kids not getting offers and then a kid who appears to be a great High School player gets one and a so called short clip deems him in your eyes not worthy of an offer? Negative, could you be more so?
I just want to know what makes him special. The clip showed a kid that looked a step slow with a slow and unorthodox release on his shot. His younger brother looked much better in the segment. But, I admit it's a small sample. Have you watched he'd him play a few times? What makes him something special?

Watched him in person. His shot looks so natural and perfect. Doesn't seem slow in his release in my opinion, but I am not an expert. Just seems to shoot so effortlessly. And he seemed to make about every three he took.

I just want to know what makes him special. The clip showed a kid that looked a step slow with a slow and unorthodox release on his shot. His younger brother looked much better in the segment. But, I admit it's a small sample. Have you watched he'd him play a few times? What makes him something special?

That's a pretty darn Good description of John Shurna. Wish he was a Gopher.

That's a pretty darn Good description of John Shurna. Wish he was a Gopher.
Maybe. All I saw was the clip. Clearly, Michael Hurt must have talent or the Gophers wouldn't offer. I was just wondering what he brought to the team because the clip doesn't show anything special. After seeing Pitino pick Bakary and Gaston to be Gophers, perhaps I'm a little nervous.

Shooting erases so many deficiencies of any player. He has a great feel for the game, is a reasonable good athlete and has potential to be a very good shooter. Attributes we are lacking on the team at present. The fact that his brother is very good as well is just a plus. Hopefully he will be a Gopher one day as well. With Amir Coffey leading the way the future could be bright.

Shooting erases so many deficiencies of any player. He has a great feel for the game, is a reasonable good athlete and has potential to be a very good shooter. Attributes we are lacking on the team at present. The fact that his brother is very good as well is just a plus. Hopefully he will be a Gopher one day as well. With Amir Coffey leading the way the future could be bright.

+1

This is all good, but will Hurt be able to get his shot off at the D1 level? The clips showed a slow release. If that is true, Pitino will have to get him shots where he just catches and shoots as he won't be able to create his own separation.
Have you seen him play?

Hurt... I'll take 7 years of them on the court please. Awkward shots and lanky bodies are great!

Seen hurt a few times does a little bit of everything. Guy could very well get a quadruple double in his conference. Obviously won't do that with the gophs but he's the type of guy this board bitches about not having. Solid all the way around. Matthew his brother will be even better might already be. Which isn't a knock on Michael

Maybe. All I saw was the clip. Clearly, Mich.
I read only a small portion of your post, but it appears you are slow-witted. Am I wrong? What attributes do you possess that illustrate you operate above a 5th grade level? Not trying to be negative. Truly inquiring. The clip I saw showed slow wit.

I read only a small portion of your post, but it appears you are slow-witted. Am I wrong? What attributes do you possess that illustrate you operate above a 5th grade level? Not trying to be negative. Truly inquiring. The clip I saw showed slow wit.

Bazinga!

Speaking of 5th grade level...

Most of the clip was of a team shoot-around. Only a couple of game shots be each brother. Pretty tough to judge a slow release from that.

Most of the clip was of a team shoot-around. Only a couple of game shots be each brother. Pretty tough to judge a slow release from that.
Have you seen him play. I just noticed how his guide hand is on top of the ball when he brings it up to his release point.
I agree that no one can judge from the short clip. I was just surprised at what looked unorthodox and seemed to be a slow release. I would appreciate anyone who has seen him play chiming in. Pitino offered him and other D1 schools offered so certainly he must be a good player. I just don't know that people should get their hopes up about him saving the Gophers poor shooting problems. If Hoffarbor, who had a pure release, had to speed up his shot for D1 ball, I would imagine, Michael Hurt is going to need some time to get used to the Big 10.

Have you seen him play. I just noticed how his guide hand is on top of the ball when he brings it up to his release point.
I agree that no one can judge from the short clip. I was just surprised at what looked unorthodox and seemed to be a slow release. I would appreciate anyone who has seen him play chiming in. Pitino offered him and other D1 schools offered so certainly he must be a good player. I just don't know that people should get their hopes up about him saving the Gophers poor shooting problems. If Hoffarbor, who had a pure release, had to speed up his shot for D1 ball, I would imagine, Michael Hurt is going to need some time to get used to the Big 10.

Hoffarber didn't have Mason or Dorsey playing the point, the short time he had Nolen playing at full speed he got shots, I don't see his release being any kind of a problem.

Hoff......definition of a 'pure shooter'.

A thing of beauty.

Hoff......definition of a 'pure shooter'. A thing of beauty.
Actually, Hoffarber was routinely criticized for having both a slow and low release. He definitely worked to improve both - with success. But, of course, was forced into playing point guard his senior year.......

One of my all-time favorites - great to see him Saturday.

Actually, Hoffarber was routinely criticized for having both a slow and low release. He definitely worked to improve both - with success. But, of course, was forced into playing point guard his senior year.......

One of my all-time favorites - great to see him Saturday.

Wasn't so much he was 'criticized', more a case of defenders were able to guard him close because he was not a threat to blow past you. And yes he speeded up his release....still a thing of beauty.

Forcing him to play pg was incredibly stupid.

Have you seen him play. I just noticed how his guide hand is on top of the ball when he brings it up to his release point. I agree that no one can judge from the short clip. I was just surprised at what looked unorthodox and seemed to be a slow release. I would appreciate anyone who has seen him play chiming in. Pitino offered him and other D1 schools offered so certainly he must be a good player. I just don't know that people should get their hopes up about him saving the Gophers poor shooting problems. If Hoffarbor, who had a pure release, had to speed up his shot for D1 ball, I would imagine, Michael Hurt is going to need some time to get used to the Big 10.

He is left handed

Hurt

From everything I have read Michael is 6-6 to 6-7. That is 2-3 inches taller than Hoff. That will help.

I do remember Shane shilling who was quite athletic, and had a nice outside shot in high school at 6-6. He shot the ball from his chest and had a bit of difficulty at the U with a similar sized player guarding him.

From what I have read Hurt has a very good work ethic, so I doubt he has difficulty making the adjustment.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom