All Things Michael Hurt Rochester JM (Class of 2016)

Don't follow the preps much. This one's pretty much a foregone conclusion (Coffey), isn't it?

Shooter

First time poster, long time lurker

I've seen Hurt play a couple of times, certainly not an expert but I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirted next year.

He's all of 6'6-6'7 and he's not emaciated looking, he's thin but he's got a decent frame.

I do think he'll need to speed up his shot, but he's a very good spot-up shooter. That's the case with most HS level kids though, the game naturally gets faster and it takes adjusting. Also a really good help defender and really one of the few guys on that team who seems interested in doing the "little things"

Think he's got good role-player potential. Don't see a high-level starter, but I think he'll be a really nice piece off the bench for a few years if his body develops and he speeds up the shot.

I would be shocked if he red shirted because of the circumstances. Statistically he is a good shooter from 3 at 43% but that's deceiving. He only made 60 some and I'm guessing they were wide open. He does need time and space to shoot threes. I also believe he has a role player potential. Maybe because I only went to "big" games and he never was effective in those games. Red Wing: 18 and 14 points in losses two games and Lakeville South and North 14 and 14 points. He is easy to guard. Scored on postups versus shorter defenders vs Lakeville teams. Never takes over, doesn't want the ball in big situations. Invisible out of timeout with opportunity to win the game vs Lakeville North to go to state. Nice player, but if you are D1 recruit and Mr Basketball candidate I think you need to be able to score when they guard you, especially in Section One Minnesota basketball. My JP Macura comparison again...JP was about 10X more impressive to me.

Matthew Hurt can be really, really good!!!! Potentially far more impressive!! Much different, quicker, nicer, effortless shot from 3 and more grace to his overall game.

I would be shocked if he red shirted because of the circumstances. Statistically he is a good shooter from 3 at 43% but that's deceiving. He only made 60 some and I'm guessing they were wide open. He does need time and space to shoot threes. I also believe he has a role player potential. Maybe because I only went to "big" games and he never was effective in those games. Red Wing: 18 and 14 points in losses two games and Lakeville South and North 14 and 14 points. He is easy to guard. Scored on postups versus shorter defenders vs Lakeville teams. Never takes over, doesn't want the ball in big situations. Invisible out of timeout with opportunity to win the game vs Lakeville North to go to state. Nice player, but if you are D1 recruit and Mr Basketball candidate I think you need to be able to score when they guard you, especially in Section One Minnesota basketball. My JP Macura comparison again...JP was about 10X more impressive to me.

Matthew Hurt can be really, really good!!!! Potentially far more impressive!! Much different, quicker, nicer, effortless shot from 3 and more grace to his overall game.
Have heard from many different people who were at the section championship game and they couldn't believe the coach couldn't draw up something better to get either Hurt the ball late. They said Lakeville pretty much doubled Michael to try to keep the ball out of his hands but both Michael and Matt got open a couple times on the baseline late and their PG hesitated like he was too afraid to throw it.

It doesn't take much to see that JM isn't the best coached bunch. They play like an AAU team, not a lot of discipline and you get the sense they weren't interested in doing "the little things". Not to say their coach isn't fine because I haven't seen them enough but I got the sense that if the Lakeville North coach was coaching that bunch, they'd be playing three games in the state tournament.

Oddly enough, I think that is what Michael will bring to the Gophers. He might not "take over a game" by pouring in points but I think he'll be a guy that does a lot of the little things that help a team win. He'll be a good spot up shooter, he makes good decisions, he is a good help defender and he'll get stronger.

I'd still rather redshirt him because I don't see him being much of a contributor next year but I guess teams really don't redshirt guys all that often in basketball. I've got the football mentality where a lot of freshmen get the RS.

Both Coffey and Hurt are bringing passing and matchup issues to the squad next year.

I'd love to have Michael get a RS just to see if it would help with the recruitment of Matthew.... Not sure it would matter.

Michael looks like a solid addition, likely a 4 year contributor.

Finally got around to watching this. Wow, I think I've gone from thinking he could redshirt to thinking he'll get a lot of minutes off the bench for us. I didn't realize how smooth he is handling the ball and driving to the hoop. His shot also looks very smooth. I love his game.

Also, him and his bro really do play well together. Would love to have them both. And I'd love to see all of our lefty's in the game at the same time next year. Amir, Hurt, and McBrayer.

55% FGs, 43% from deep...yeah we could use both. Those asking about his release whether it's slow or not, it looks just fine to me.

55% FGs, 43% from deep...yeah we could use both. Those asking about his release whether it's slow or not, it looks just fine to me.
I think what happens is a lot of people have difficulty recognizing good left handed shot form. It looks goofy because you're not as used to seeing it. I'm with you, though. I think Hurt will be just fine.

Both Coffey and Hurt are bringing passing and matchup issues to the squad next year.

I'd love to have Michael get a RS just to see if it would help with the recruitment of Matthew.... Not sure it would matter.

Michael looks like a solid addition, likely a 4 year contributor.

With Coach Richard's situation I doubt he will hold back anyone that can contribute in order to save his job.

Go Gophers

He gets it off pretty fast. More of a set shot than a jumper.

Finally got around to watching this. Wow, I think I've gone from thinking he could redshirt to thinking he'll get a lot of minutes off the bench for us. I didn't realize how smooth he is handling the ball and driving to the hoop. His shot also looks very smooth. I love his game.

Also, him and his bro really do play well together. Would love to have them both. And I'd love to see all of our lefty's in the game at the same time next year. Amir, Hurt, and McBrayer.

Count me in, too. I just love everything about this kid. I'm so thrilled he's going to be a Gopher. My wife was a Rocket, so she'll be jazzed to see him do well next year.

With Coach Richard's situation I doubt he will hold back anyone that can contribute in order to save his job.

Go Gophers

I hear/read this alot. I still see Michael as number 10 on the depth chart regardless of how good he is to start the season. Unless he learns exceptionally fast he likely wouldn't garner anything more than 5 mpg until big 10 time, and at that point the bench likely gets shorter and the minutes are even tougher.

I think Pitino certainly knows he is on the hot seat, but I'd like to believe that any coach is coaching as if they are going to be there for the long hall, becuase what happens if you get what you wish for.... Having Michael as a 5th year senior would be pretty sweet.

He gets it off pretty fast. More of a set shot than a jumper.

And has DEEP range @ a very high percentage, can drive, good passer... he will be just fine.

I'm mixed between red-shirting or watching him drain some threes next year. Guessing Pitino won't know until he is on campus competing with the big boys.

If he can run the floor and play D, there is no reason to redshirt. Film makes him look like a below the rim kind of player. But he shoots very well.

Thanks for the video. It was good to see this in game situations.
I can see Hurt taking up the slack from Joey leaving.
He'll have to adjust to the speed of the college game, especially on defense, but it looks like he's a good catch and shoot, spot up, shooter. He will benefit greatly from all the others who can slash to the hoop and dish it back out for an open three.
Pitino doesn't need Hurt to create on his own. Pitino just needs Hurt to keep the opponents honest on defense.
This video helps sell me on Hurts shot. With all the brick layers we have on this team, Hurt should get plenty of opportunities to drop 3s on opponents. Now, if he can defend at least as well as Joey, we'll be set.

I hear/read this alot. I still see Michael as number 10 on the depth chart regardless of how good he is to start the season. Unless he learns exceptionally fast he likely wouldn't garner anything more than 5 mpg until big 10 time, and at that point the bench likely gets shorter and the minutes are even tougher.

I think Pitino certainly knows he is on the hot seat, but I'd like to believe that any coach is coaching as if they are going to be there for the long hall, becuase what happens if you get what you wish for.... Having Michael as a 5th year senior would be pretty sweet.

Remember how Brewster played anyone with a heart beat his last year.

Remember how Brewster played anyone with a heart beat his last year.

If things look bad, yes, he will bring in the reserves to look for the right fit, but I think he would do that regardless of whether or not his seat was on fire.

I am pretty impressed too after seeing those highlights. I admit I was expecting a slightly better version of joey king, but he looks a lot better. He hits threes at a great percentage, and a lot of those threes in the video were from at least college range already. His release looks good, a little funky, but very quick; which means he will get his shot off with ease, which will come into play when he is guarded by better athletes. He is a decent athlete, not explosive, but very smooth. He has a great spin move, can dribble very well, can pass, and rebound. My question would be how good of a defender is he? Regardless, I think he will benefit from putting some weight on at the next level. I could see him coming off the bench as a stretch 4 next season.

Boofbonser, I agree with you! He would be great as the 6th man because he is a shooter who has great court awareness. He also is a great passer. The real question mark for all three of our incoming recruits is how well can they play defense and rebound? I know Hurt was a good rebounder in H.S. But can he get the elevation that Murphy gets when getting bodied up by larger interior players? Can he defend a Big Ten Power Forward?

Boofbonser, I agree with you! He would be great as the 6th man because he is a shooter who has great court awareness. He also is a great passer. The real question mark for all three of our incoming recruits is how well can they play defense and rebound? I know Hurt was a good rebounder in H.S. But can he get the elevation that Murphy gets when getting bodied up by larger interior players? Can he defend a Big Ten Power Forward?

Hopefully other than a switch on defense he won't ever be guarding a power forward, can he guard someone like Valentine or Lavert is the question I have, that will dictate playing time more than anything.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How old is he? He looks like a Chinese gymnast!

He looks bigger in the practice drills can actually see muscle definition on him now. All that milk and spaghettios paying off

He looks bigger in the practice drills can actually see muscle definition on him now. All that milk and spaghettios paying off

Has a nice looking shot, but based on that video, needs to work on not bringing the ball down when he catches and shoots.

I think Hurt will contribute this year and then be a really important player for us his last 3 years.

Top Bottom