All Things Kaden Johnson Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020, top rated MN HS recruit)

I would be shocked if we ever got a recruit out of Minnehaha academy. Its 2 MILES down the road from the U!!! Thats about as exciting as enrolling at the local community college after high school. It would requires a very specific person who would want to do that in my mind. Must really want to stay in town and be around their family. At 18, I wanted neither.

That being said, you stay in town and anchor the defense for some (hopefully) B1G title teams. You will be a GOD and never need to buy a beer in this town. Lincoln and Madison are small potato's in the big picture.

I would be shocked if we ever got a recruit out of Minnehaha academy. Its 2 MILES down the road from the U!!! Thats about as exciting as enrolling at the local community college after high school. It would requires a very specific person who would want to do that in my mind. Must really want to stay in town and be around their family. At 18, I wanted neither.

That being said, you stay in town and anchor the defense for some (hopefully) B1G title teams. You will be a GOD and never need to buy a beer in this town. Lincoln and Madison are small potato's in the big picture.
"I wanted to get away for college, therefore everyone wants to get away for college."

If getting the hell out of Minnesota is a factor .... I don't know, Lincoln, Nebraska and Madison, Wisconsin don't really seem like that exciting of places.

If getting the hell out of Minnesota is a factor .... I don't know, Lincoln, Nebraska and Madison, Wisconsin don't really seem like that exciting of places.
Nebraska football is much more engrained in the culture. It’s totally different than it is here.

What changed at Minnehaha that made it a place to go for local premier athletes? Most of the D1 recruits that are coming out of that school are not from South Mpls right? Their parents are driving them?

What changed at Minnehaha that made it a place to go for local premier athletes? Most of the D1 recruits that are coming out of that school are not from South Mpls right? Their parents are driving them?

It is not Minnehaha Academy alone. They are part of SMB - Saint Thomas Academy, Minnehaha Academy, and Blake. Three of these school combined netted a pretty good football team.

It is not Minnehaha Academy alone. They are part of SMB - Saint Thomas Academy, Minnehaha Academy, and Blake. Three of these school combined netted a pretty good football team.
Oh, didn't know that. But Lockett, Johnson, Holmgren and Suggs all attend MA I believe based on their basketball roster. They were not a great program in the past.

St. Paul Academy.

Suggs, Johnson and Lockett went to Minnehaha together in grade school. Other guys—Holmgren for example—went there knowing a stud PG was on the team. Chet’s dad being who he is probably let them assume he’d be at least tall.

Can’t say for sure on others but the same thing happened at Apple Valley.

Tyus was there. So Brock Bertram enrolled at AV before high school. Gary Trent Jr showed up because his dad wanted him to be with a great player. All legal, all fine and good but it won’t sustain itself.

Also, Blake and St. Paul academy provide very little in terms of football players.

St. Thomas Academy is not part of SMB - It's St. Paul Academy. The Cadets are annually one of the stronger teams in Class 5A. I would guess a majority of SMB's players are from Minnehaha.

There’s a funnel on the AAU side of basketball. Go to one of there games and it’s pretty obvious in terms of their following. At least at Blake and SPA there is a quality of education.

There’s a funnel on the AAU side of basketball. Go to one of there games and it’s pretty obvious in terms of their following. At least at Blake and SPA there is a quality of education.
Makes sense (replaced Hopkins in that way).

When I watched the high school state championship game I was not much impressed by Johnson. He did not seem to be a very high motor person on play after play. Not sub normal, but not high motor. Made me wonder if he was, or even saw himself, as a Fleck kind of guy. Just my impression based on watching half of one game.

By this logic, the U shouldn't have standed a chance of landing Tyler Johnson.

What changed at Minnehaha that made it a place to go for local premier athletes?

This sort of thing has been happening in basketball for a long time. It just took a little longer to take root here because the Twin Cities metro doesn't have as many elite private schools as some places in the east or in California.

Harder for small private schools to become elite football programs and that's probably why these three have a combined program.

Blake is a Richie Rich school. Lot of top tennis players, and I think hockey too? Very like Edina.

Never did much in football, hence why they formed the merger SMB. It's all Minnehaha kids.

This year being an exception in football, it is high time that the privates had their own divisions and state championships. Publics should be playing publics.

Blake is a Richie Rich school. Lot of top tennis players, and I think hockey too? Very like Edina.

Never did much in football, hence why they formed the merger SMB. It's all Minnehaha kids.

This year being an exception in football, it is high time that the privates had their own divisions and state championships. Publics should be playing publics.
You wait til this occurs in regards to private colleges paying athletes. It’ll be the return of the ivies and the big ten sunset. 100 yrs was a solid run tho.

Those same high expectations are heavily desired by a lot of parents (who understand the bigger picture) who have a huge influence and a lot of potential student athletes on their own too. Many high quality people want to be part of something bigger than themselves. These expectations differentiate Minnesota which is a good thing.
I think both posts are correct. As a parent I would love Fleck, I can see some young males not wanting to play for Fleck and his expectations that they grow up and act like an adult.

Some truth here... new thread alert! “Private schools and private school co-ops cheat the mshsl’s class system”

They should just tweak the income/enrollment formula to balance things out.

They should just tweak the income/enrollment formula to balance things out.
It is being proposed. 100 percent of all enrollment as opposed to 50% of the non-host schools. Host school is the largest by enrollment.

It is being proposed. 100 percent of all enrollment as opposed to 50% of the non-host schools. Host school is the largest by enrollment.
Wait, they currently only use 50% of the non-host schools? How does that make any sense?

One’s college choice is as far away from home as he/she makes it. I have two kids in college. One of them is only a one hour drive away from our home. He’s been home once since the fall semester started, for Thanksgiving. I like having him so close by in case there is an emergency but we see him about as often as we would if he was going to school on either coast.

Top Bottom