All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

It's not likely, but if the main reason he'd be coming here is the relationship with the coaching staff, seeing the facilities/city/etc. might not matter that much to him either way.

I agree. I don't think the lack of a visit is the factor that I'm most worried about. He just never got around to taking any official visits for whatever reason. His timetable for making a decision is what I'm worried about. Seems like he is being forced to make a decision by somebody.

I think no visit says no in a big way. Same deal as with Perkins, we actually thought we had a shot when a player annouces without an official visit? Maybe with a local kid it could happen. Kind of like it will with Whitehead and St Johns. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree. I don't think the lack of a visit is the factor that I'm most worried about. He just never got around to taking any official visits for whatever reason. His timetable for making a decision is what I'm worried about. Seems like he is being forced to make a decision by somebody.

Agreed. Everything we've heard from him before this pointed at a November decision, and now all of a sudden he's announcing. Makes me worried that it's Indiana and Crean is putting the pressure on him...

Anyways, I don't like our chances given the circumstances, which is disappointing. I thought we had a really good shot at Isaiah even a week ago.

I think no visit says no in a big way. Same deal as with Perkins, we actually thought we had a shot when a player annouces without an official visit? Maybe with a local kid it could happen. Kind of like it will with Whitehead and St Johns. Hope I'm wrong.

Players commit before taking official visits all the time. Players also commit before visiting at all, Ja'Quan Newton was a Gopher target this summer and he committed to Miami without ever visiting. He lives in Philly.

Not that I'm saying I still think we have a realistic shot at Whitehead. I think he's gone. I'm just saying it does happen.

I think it depends on the player. If he had taken official visits to four other schools and we didn't make that list, then I would agree with you. In his case, he dropped by Indiana coming back from a basketball event (if I'm remembering correctly) and spent an afternoon at Seton Hall and St. John's. Not nearly the exposure that other recruits choose to receive.

If I had money on it, I think it is St. John's if he likes the visit today or Indiana. I agree with Sloth. I think Indiana forced this decision because they have other high profile options.

I think it depends on the player. If he had taken official visits to four other schools and we didn't make that list, then I would agree with you. In his case, he dropped by Indiana coming back from a basketball event (if I'm remembering correctly) and spent an afternoon at Seton Hall and St. John's. Not nearly the exposure that other recruits choose to receive.

If I had money on it, I think it is St. John's if he likes the visit today or Indiana. I agree with Sloth. I think Indiana forced this decision because they have other high profile options.

Coincidentally, Whitehead is also deciding one day before another IU target, Robert Johnson, is set to announce his decision.
http://247sports.com/Player/Robert-Johnson-33746

Agreed. Everything we've heard from him before this pointed at a November decision, and now all of a sudden he's announcing. Makes me worried that it's Indiana and Crean is putting the pressure on him...

Anyways, I don't like our chances given the circumstances, which is disappointing. I thought we had a really good shot at Isaiah even a week ago.

Agree that Indiana is the big sleeper. Whitehead picked Thursday, the day before another big time SG is deciding between NC and IU. Something rushed the decision, heck we was planning to take an unofficial here just a couple of days ago.

If it's one of the eastern schools, I can be at peace with that. If it's IU, I'm gonna boo him. Fortunately we wouldn't have to put up with him for four years.

it's all good, we cooled on him

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Isaiah_W15">@Isaiah_W15</a> LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN BOI IT'S ONLY RIGHT!</p>— r.i.p dougie (@sheedjordan) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheedjordan/statuses/380478346158931968">September 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rysheed Jordan is a St. John's commit. This is the only retweet regarding the decision on Whitehead's account today. Take that as you will.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Isaiah_W15">@Isaiah_W15</a> LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN BOI IT'S ONLY RIGHT!</p>— r.i.p dougie (@sheedjordan) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheedjordan/statuses/380478346158931968">September 18, 2013</a></blockquote>

Rysheed Jordan is a St. John's commit. This is the only retweet regarding the decision on Whitehead's account today. Take that as you will.

We got no chance in hell.

I respect Whitehead if he chooses St. Johns. Being a 5 star recruit and choosing to stay home and play ball when the home school is far removed from consistent success is not an easy decision. I hope to heck he is still weighing options but its likely he stays home. Also, a New York kid playing ball at Madison Square Garden is kind of cool.. gotta admit.

We can only hope Vaugh or Travis realize the grass is not always greener...

Whitehead is a real talent. I agree that his tweet would point to St. Johns and the urgency of his decision would point toward Indiana. His only reason to choose MN at this point would be his relationship with our coaches. Any quick decision to play for a coach that he doesn't have an incredible relationship with would be a bad one. Crean and Lavin are two peas in a pod. Whitehead will have the ball in his hands and be the leader of our team in MN. If he wants to go where he is wanted/needed and gets the most playing time and national exposure he will choose the Gophers.

I'm reading on another site that there's a girlfriend involved now that wasn't involved early in the process. She's in NYC also & rumor has it she may even be attending St Johns.

Do not sleep on UVA being the right place for Robert Johnson.They landed a relatively unknown big with superb skill from New Zealand to go along with Wilkins (Dominiques kid) And Stith (bryants kid) Johnson is a perfect match to fill that class.

I'm reading on another site that there's a girlfriend involved now that wasn't involved early in the process. She's in NYC also & rumor has it she may even be attending St Johns.

Throughout time, girlfriends have proven to be an outstanding reason to select a college. At least until the first on-campus party when a whole universe of new women is introduced, then the 'ol girlfriend tends to become old news and the dude is left wondering why he ever chose that school in the first place.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sounds like Seton Hall is making a late run at Isaiah Whitehead. Things getting interesting. Two horse race with St. John's.</p>— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX/statuses/380537876033044480">September 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Whitehead tweeted something about how his girl will be there for life. He's coming to Minnesota and talking about how his girl will still be there when he gets back? Anyone? Well at least I tried.

Zags Blog: Whitehead, Briscoe Talking All-Isaiah Backcourt

“We was just talking about schools and where he was thinking about going and things like that,” Briscoe told SNY.tv after dishing a pass to Chris Silva that led to a game-winning dunk as Roselle Catholic beat Gill St. Bernard’s 41-39, in a Fall Ball game at Paterson Kennedy High School.

“I told him, ‘Isaiah, you have the potential to be one-and-done,’” Briscoe said. “I’ve known Isaiah since we was about in fifth grade. I’m not going to lie to him, he got the potential to be one-and-done and I told him that.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/whitehead-briscoe-talking-potential-college-combo/

Go Gophers!!

Whitehead tweeted something about how his girl will be there for life. He's coming to Minnesota and talking about how his girl will still be there when he gets back? Anyone? Well at least I tried.

Well he can always Skype or Facetime her when he's here at Minnesota. lol

He is gone. That's ok since we will sign Vaughn anyway! :D

Lavin was always a good recruiter for UCLA.. although he pushed the boundaries and even had minor infractions at UCLA (fending off allegations of more serious violations). Bottom line, Lavin is a good recruiter and will be tough to beat. The good part, he is a horrible X and O coach and it will be fun to see a loaded team flounder :)

The plot thickens

“@Isaiah_W15: Sometimes You Just Gotta Shock The World Who Agrees ? ??”

The plot thickens

“@Isaiah_W15: Sometimes You Just Gotta Shock The World Who Agrees ? ”

Yeah but all these recruits picking a school that's not at an elite level think they are shocking the world... Nothing to over think.

A guess that his "shock the world" comment means he's going to Seton Hall? Kevin Willard is probably offering him all the shots in the world, which is likely what Whitehead is looking for.

A guess that his "shock the world" comment means he's going to Seton Hall? Kevin Willard is probably offering him all the shots in the world, which is likely what Whitehead is looking for.

It would be far more shocking to go to MN than stay close to home at Seton Hall IMO. With this kid, you just don't know what he will decide. With that said, I don't think MN has much of a shot.

Top Bottom