All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

"You don't even need to visit"? What a joke. Save us the bullsh*t and just say you're announcing between the two mid-major schools near your home. And sheesh, if you think you're a big time player and you're going to go to school in NJ, at least pick the one in the B1G, not some school that hasn't been relevant in 30 years.

Not sure what your definition of a "mid-major" is but neither Seton Hall or St John's are mid-majors.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that we have "come in suddenly" to Whitehead's recruitment. But hey, if we're going to start running a gangster program, that's fine with me. Bring back the days of Tark the Shark and the whirlpool!

Sorry, didn't realize you meant the timing of their recruiting and not the status of their programs.

Was just going to say MN hasn't exactly been well known for landing 5 star east coast kids historically either.

Sorry, didn't realize you meant the timing of their recruiting and not the status of their programs.

Was just going to say MN hasn't exactly been well known for landing 5 star east coast kids historically either.

No question.

Disappointing. Hopefully we get a surprise. I don't get why these east coast guys have us in their top 5 if we're not really being considered. It doesn't make any sense. How often do you see guys with final 5's of local schools, UCLA, and Iowa? Or even Wisconsin for that matter? It's good that Pitino's getting in on some of these guys, but when you go 0 for 20 I'm not sure how much it helps things.

Disappointing. Hopefully we get a surprise. I don't get why these east coast guys have us in their top 5 if we're not really being considered. It doesn't make any sense. How often do you see guys with final 5's of local schools, UCLA, and Iowa? Or even Wisconsin for that matter? It's good that Pitino's getting in on some of these guys, but when you go 0 for 20 I'm not sure how much it helps things.

I think it's pretty simple. Pitino and his staff (especially Young) have developed relationships in the NYC area and are making a good pitch to these players and their families/coaches. In the end, the recruits are preferring other options at schools closer to home or more prestigious programs. Pitino may have to show evidence of success at MN before actually landing these big time recruits out east. Keeping all or two of Jarvis Johnson, Alex Illikainen, and Henry Ellenson (more local, more realistic recruits) will be crucial to help the program become successful the first few years and to show that Pitino can be successful at the U.

Why did he change? I hate to say it, but college basketball is a grimy business, and I'd guess that's especially true in NYC. And Lavin, as a low-rent version of Calipari, wouldn't be above making sure a few promises were made. Call it sour grapes, but I always find it a bit suspicious when teams like SJU suddenly comes in out of the blue for a big recruit like this.

Making quite the assumptions here. You have no idea when Seton Hall or St John's started recruiting him.

Per Rivals Lavin in 2011 St John's had the 3rd rank class overall so Lavin landing a 5 star isn't out of the norm.

Not sure what your definition of a "mid-major" is but neither Seton Hall or St John's are mid-majors.

It was a somewhat bitter, backhanded slap.

These non-BCS schools have been real pests this recruiting period, though. We have lost out on high-level recruits to Xavier, Gonzaga, Georgetown, SJU/St. John's (presumably), VCU, Marquette, and probably a few others. It's p*ssing me off.

Whitehead is probably dead set on Minnesota. His mom wants him near home and freaked out when he told her he planned to come to the Midwest, so he told her he would visit the local schools to get her off his back. Declaring for Minnesota tomorrow.

Making quite the assumptions here. You have no idea when Seton Hall or St John's started recruiting him.

Per Rivals Lavin in 2011 St John's had the 3rd rank class overall so Lavin landing a 5 star isn't out of the norm.

Actually, it's been widely reported that St. John's wasn't on his radar until recently, nor was Seton Hall. I don't believe either were on most of his top five lists until recently. And I'm not surprised that Lavin's getting top-tier talent. Like I said, he's a low-rent Calipari, but unlike Cal, he's not been able to turn his shady recruiting techniques into major success on the court recently.

Whitehead is probably dead set on Minnesota. His mom wants him near home and freaked out when he told her he planned to come to the Midwest, so he told her he would visit the local schools to get him off his back. Declaring for Minnesota tomorrow.

i like this.

This seems exactly like the Perkins deal. Keeps us on the list, but without a visit?? It makes no sense to me. So now I'm hoping TumTum/LaChance, Martin, Vaughn and Cunningham! Is that too much to ask?

Way too much with the way things have been going lately. I think we may have a shot at 1 or 2 of those guys individually.

Whitehead is probably dead set on Minnesota. His mom wants him near home and freaked out when he told her he planned to come to the Midwest, so he told her he would visit the local schools to get him off his back. Declaring for Minnesota tomorrow.

DwG called it!

I'm optimistic about Whitehead. Probably shouldn't be, but I am. He always wanted people to question where he would sign up until the day he commits. Could be he knew a long time ago it would be Seton Hall or St. Johns, bringing them back to the front late in the process. Or maybe he commits somewhere not many people are expecting, somewhere with a new, young coach. Somewhere with an assistant with times to NY. Somewhere called the University of Minnesota.

I'm optimistic about Whitehead. Probably shouldn't be, but I am. He always wanted people to question where he would sign up until the day he commits. Could be he knew a long time ago it would be Seton Hall or St. Johns, bringing them back to the front late in the process. Or maybe he commits somewhere not many people are expecting, somewhere with a new, young coach. Somewhere with an assistant with times to NY. Somewhere called the University of Minnesota.

Agreed. I'm still pretty optimistic. Hoping for the best!

Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) tweeted at 10:19 AM on Wed, Sep 18, 2013:Coaches from 2 of the 5 schools in the Isaiah Whitehead Sweepstakes told @SNYtv they believe it will be #Stjbb. & no #stjbb wasn't 1 of them

My guess is he stays in the tri-state but if he doesn't I think he comes here. I want this kid to come here bad...I mean really really bad so fingers crossed.

Why do these guys have to announce the day they will announce their choice?

Percent chance he selects Mn without a visit? 2%.

Why do these guys have to announce the day they will announce their choice?

This. Just shows they already have the celebrity mentality. They have to make a spectacle out of it. I preferred Macura's approach (though not the decision). When you know, just announce it!

This. Just shows they already have the celebrity mentality. They have to make a spectacle out of it. I preferred Macura's approach (though not the decision). When you know, just announce it!

It's possible that Whitehead still doesn't know where he's going so he's basically set a deadline of Thursday for himself to decide.

Yes, according to his AAU coach James Barrett.

Asked if Whitehead would make his decision Wednesday night, Barrett said, “No, he’s going to make his decision on Thursday. He’s going to make his decision when he’s sitting up there on that podium.”

It's possible that Whitehead still doesn't know where he's going so he's basically set a deadline of Thursday for himself to decide.

It could also be that Whitehead doesn't want to keep leading on various programs, but your guess is as good as mine.

These non-BCS schools have been real pests this recruiting period, though. We have lost out on high-level recruits to Xavier, Gonzaga, Georgetown, SJU/St. John's (presumably), VCU, Marquette, and probably a few others. It's p*ssing me off.

It's not at all surprising when you consider that each of those schools (save St. John's) has a better basketball program than Minnesota.

It's not at all surprising when you consider that each of those schools (save St. John's) has a better basketball program than Minnesota.

You're right - not surprising. And I'm giving you a cyber pat on the back.

I'm trying to be optimistic but I can't believe that a kid as highly touted as Whitehead would commit to a program without taking (at least) an unofficial visit.:confused:

I'm trying to be optimistic but I can't believe that a kid as highly touted as Whitehead would commit to a program without taking (at least) an unofficial visit.:confused:

It's not likely, but if the main reason he'd be coming here is the relationship with the coaching staff, seeing the facilities/city/etc. might not matter that much to him either way.

It's not likely, but if the main reason he'd be coming here is the relationship with the coaching staff, seeing the facilities/city/etc. might not matter that much to him either way.

Wouldn't you still take a "free" vacation/visit....especially as a 17/18 year old?

I thought that he did take an unofficial visit here. hmm I wonder who I'm thinking of then..

Whitehead was the player I wanted. Oh well. Let's hope Tum Tum comes here.

Wouldn't you still take a "free" vacation/visit....especially as a 17/18 year old?

If you're asking me, would I have as a 17/18 year old? Absolutely. In my opinion, every single division I recruit in both of the major revenue sports should be taking all 5 official visits regardless of their recruitment situation. How many times in your life will you get a free vacation where it's all pleasure and no work? And yet, we see many who might take one official or in some cases none at all. It's tough to get inside these kids' heads. If it were easy, the recruiting season wouldn't be such a roller coaster.

Top Bottom