All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Star or not that front court would be a complete 180 from this past season and would make that a strength of the team instead of a massive weakness. Battle, Fox, and Garcia starting...Ihnen, Thopson and Payne coming off the bench.

Add some quality guards to go along with those guys and it is not crazy to think this team could qualify for the tournament next season.

With that frontline, smart guards will want to come and be a part of it, plus we got minutes.

As Archer said, “Pitching behind Buxton and Correa is one of the reasons I chose the Twins.”

Garcia will be a Gopher per Ryan James
I've been pretty loud that this staff was hired in the belief they could pull off recruiting moves like this, and I said in one of these threads that the Garcia situation was an early chance to make good on that. No guarantee until his name is on the line, of course, but this is very encouraging.

This staff is showing they have an eye for talent and good judgment. That combined with reeling in a big fish once in a while could give us some nice run here.

I suppose we won't get the official word for another month.

Even when we know it's as close to a lock as we can get, we still have to torture ourselves with what-ifs. :(
There is no need for Garcia to wait. If the Gophers are his choice and he is transferring closer to home for family reasons, we should hear something soon.

I suppose we won't get the official word for another month.

Even when we know it's as close to a lock as we can get, we still have to torture ourselves with what-ifs. :(
Then there's the waiver process, that will have to sweat out as well, though waiver's were created for scenario's like Dawson's

Then there's the waiver process, that will have to sweat out as well, though waiver's were created for scenario's like Dawson's
Waiver in this case should be a no brainer which means the NCAA will almost certainly drag it out and then deny it right before the season because that is what they do when a non blue blood is involved.

We shouldn't have to sweat it but we know for a fact that we are going to have too.

Waiver in this case should be a no brainer which means the NCAA will almost certainly drag it out and then deny it right before the season because that is what they do when a non blue blood is involved.

We shouldn't have to sweat it but we know for a fact that we are going to have too.
I laugh but we Minnesotans need to get out of this loser mindset. Losing thoughts beget losing on the court!

I laugh but we Minnesotans need to get out of this loser mindset. Losing thoughts beget losing on the court!
We seem to be on the same page with most things but I disagree with you on this one. The overall mindset of Minnesota sports fans could use a boost but I don't think losing thoughts from the fanbase has any impact on what happens on the court.

I honestly don't expect Garcia to have trouble getting a waiver to play here because his situation is exactly what those waivers were created for. But as has been pointed out many times in many threads, the NCAA isn't exactly the model of consistency in how they do things.

So I'll start with the mental self-torture.

(HYPOTHETICAL) Dawson's sick family member says this to him:

"Dawson, I love you for wanting to come back home, but I'm going to be OK and I don't need or want you to burden yourself with coming home daily. I want you to focus on your school and basketball, and to get the best (NIL) deal for yourself that you can, whether that's at Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, or Minnesota! Even if you have to sit out a year, that's OK. You can catch up on school, work on your skills, and get ready to have a great season in 2023."

Last edited:

If it wasn’t for his family health issues, the program would not be in a position to land him.

Not sure thats something to cheer about.

Im excited if he comes here, but wish it was for different reasons. Thats hard on any kid.

I get what you're saying but 80%-90% of the time, this location counts against us. It's nice once in awhile to have the location work in our favor.

Dawson's sick family member says this to him:

"Dawson, I love you for wanting to come back home, but I'm going to be OK and I don't need or want you to burden yourself with coming home daily. I want you to focus on your school and basketball, and to get the best (NIL) deal for yourself that you can, whether that's at Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, or Minnesota! Even if you have to sit out a year, that's OK. You can catch up on school, work on your skills, and get ready to have a great season in 2023."
In all fairness to the player and his family, it is very disrespectful to be making false statements. It is not a matter of your own amusement!

Dawson's sick family member says this to him:

lol....enough things really happen to torture Minnesota sports fans.....why go out and invent scenarios on your own?

In all fairness to the player and his family, it is very disrespectful to be making false statements. It is not a matter of your own amusement!
I thought it was perfectly clear that was a hypothetical. I've edited the post to make that explicit.

I've been pretty loud that this staff was hired in the belief they could pull off recruiting moves like this, and I said in one of these threads that the Garcia situation was an early chance to make good on that. No guarantee until his name is on the line, of course, but this is very encouraging.

This staff is showing they have an eye for talent and good judgment. That combined with reeling in a big fish once in a while could give us some nice run here.

To be fair, this one fell in their laps. If Dawson's family hadn't gotten so sick, he'd still be Tar Heel.

lol....enough things really happen to torture Minnesota sports fans.....why go out and invent scenarios on your own?
Because I'm a Minnesota fan.

That's means I'm waiting for the shoe to drop. Until it doesn't.

To be fair, this one fell in their laps. If Dawson's family hadn't gotten so sick, he'd still be Tar Heel.
I'm not going to feel guilty about having an advantage in this instance, the same way I'm not going to feel aggrieved that we have mostly geographical and other disadvantages in practically every other way (e.g. our school not being in a traditional talent/recruiting hotbed or having a blue blood heritage). Not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Would he though? Did you not see the video where the reporter asked the UNC starting five about Dawson and none of them said anything?
If dawsons family isn't sick then he isn't gone away from the team and that reporter doesn't ask that question.. so your point is moot

If it wasn’t for his family health issues, the program would not be in a position to land him.

Not sure thats something to cheer about.

Im excited if he comes here, but wish it was for different reasons. Thats hard on any kid.
Isn't that sort of how recruiting works? There are always a serious of circumstances and connections that bring players to and from different programs.

Dawson has other options (Iowa State, St. Thomas, moving away while family member is sick, etc.), and if he chooses to come here, it's a recruiting victory.

Just like when we lose out on recruits, I don't really care how close we were. When we land recruits, I don't really care what advantages we had. It's about results and this one would be a good one.

Would he though? Did you not see the video where the reporter asked the UNC starting five about Dawson and none of them said anything?
This has been rehashed a bunch of times, and when asked about it afterwards, the players referenced the questionable edit to that video.

The question just before the ~25 second vid that everyone uses, a reported asks the players if a reason for their performance was that the other team used different balls, and the final part of the question was something like "how did Wilson's balls feel" or something like that, so they were still processing their chuckles, etc.

We seem to be on the same page with most things but I disagree with you on this one. The overall mindset of Minnesota sports fans could use a boost but I don't think losing thoughts from the fanbase has any impact on what happens on the court.

I honestly don't expect Garcia to have trouble getting a waiver to play here because his situation is exactly what those waivers were created for. But as has been pointed out many times in many threads, the NCAA isn't exactly the model of consistency in how they do things.
A negative fan base seeps into the psyche of the community which most certainly impacts whether local recruits see the Gophers as a desirable place to lace up their sneakers. If the community talks smack about their local D-1 university, it makes that option less attractive to MN preps. The grass is always greener elsewhere... we don't need pathetic 'woe is me' attitudes to make it worse.

The impacts of this negativity reach into the elementary schools where we should be cultivating a love and passion for Gopher hoops. The U should be a dream school for every born and bred MN kid. These are the future 4 and 5 star athletes that will commit to the Gophers the day they get the offer because they have waited their whole life for the opportunity! Khalid committed during his sophomore year as a birthday present to Clem!

We need to cultivate that passion again.

Top Bottom