All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Do you really think that was the intent of my post? If so, you didn't read it. I clearly said (twice) that I thought he would help a lot. I just said that you can't call him a superstar but that's OK because few college basketball teams have one.
My apologies, coffee is flowing ang Garcia is finally in the portal. I'm pumped!

Is that correct? Where did you find that?
Would be curious to know that as well. Did a quick search but didn't see the 100 mile requirement. If true that would eliminate most of the competition.

edit - did find a tweet from Joel Klatt about a football hardship waiver that was denied for being 5 miles outside the 100 mile radius so it may very well be a real thing.

Would be curious to know that as well. Did a quick search but didn't see the 100 mile requirement. If true that would eliminate most of the competition.

edit - did find a tweet from Joel Klatt about a football hardship waiver that was denied for being 5 miles outside the 100 mile radius so it may very well be a real thing.

That seems to be a pretty arbitrary standard. It would be OK if you live in the metro NYC, or Washington DC, or Los Angeles area but what if you live Rapid City, SD? Do you have to transfer to Black Hills State?

That seems to be a pretty arbitrary standard. It would be OK if you live in the metro NYC, or Washington DC, or Los Angeles area but what if you live Rapid City, SD? Do you have to transfer to Black Hills State?
That would be interesting, Colorado, SDstate, Wyoming, air force, csu, etc would be my guess

There is a 100 mile hardship waiver requirement. He's not going anywhere outside of 100 miles from Prior Lake if he wants to play basketball next year.
Would be quite the gut punch for Garcia to not end up here, and I expect he will be here, but I do remember Trent Lockett getting immediate eligibility after transferring from I think Arizona State to Marquette in 2012 due to an ill relative in Minnesota. Maybe the 100 mile rule was put in place sometime after that. But like what if Garcia were from Duluth? I don’t think there is a D1 school within 100 miles of Duluth.

Would make sense to have a requirement like that to keep people from trying to use this to get an extra transfer wherever they want to go. If it is medical hardship due to a family member it would make sense that you would need to be in close proximity to that family member.

Would be quite the gut punch for Garcia to not end up here, and I expect he will be here, but I do remember Trent Lockett getting immediate eligibility after transferring from I think Arizona State to Marquette in 2012 due to an ill relative in Minnesota. Maybe the 100 mile rule was put in place sometime after that. But like what if Garcia were from Duluth? I don’t think there is a D1 school within 100 miles of Duluth.

He likely will have to get a waiver to be immediately eligible. His reasoning is being closer to home in case of critical family concerns. The fact that he left UNC in midseason to go home likely helps his cause. I don't know where the reasonable cutoff would be for "closer to home." Madison is about 4.5 hours from Prior Lake. Iowa State is barely over 3 hours.
Iowa St is a very easy drive.

This link is from 2012.

Not at all saying you're wrong ... but I think you should prepare to be disappointed, if you thought this was going to be your shield.

Sort of like when Cersei took the piece of paper signed by Robert from Ned Stark, and then tore it up.

This link is from 2012.

Not at all saying you're wrong ... but I think you should prepare to be disappointed, if you thought this was going to be your shield.

Sort of like when Cersei took the piece of paper signed by Robert from Ned Stark, and then tore it up.
I mean it's not wrong. They've used it in recent years and will use it again.

I mean it's not wrong. They've used it in recent years and will use it again.
Yes .......... it's a guideline.

It would seem extraordinary for him to claim that he would be providing "regular, ongoing caregiving responsibilities", regardless. Even from Dinkytown to Prior Lake, is no small trip. And the emotional toll that providing that would take .... it seems far fetched to even go down this path while attempting to be a full time P5 basketball player and student.

Top Bottom