All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

A negative fan base seeps into the psyche of the community which most certainly impacts whether local recruits see the Gophers as a desirable place to lace up their sneakers. If the community talks smack about their local D-1 university, it makes that option less attractive to MN preps. The grass is always greener elsewhere... we don't need pathetic 'woe is me' attitudes to make it worse.

The impacts of this negativity reach into the elementary schools where we should be cultivating a love and passion for Gopher hoops. The U should be a dream school for every born and bred MN kid. These are the future 4 and 5 star athletes that will commit to the Gophers the day they get the offer because they have waited their whole life for the opportunity! Khalid committed during his sophomore year as a birthday present to Clem!

We need to cultivate that passion again.
Great post - see PJs positivity
😃

This has been rehashed a bunch of times, and when asked about it afterwards, the players referenced the questionable edit to that video.

The question just before the ~25 second vid that everyone uses, a reported asks the players if a reason for their performance was that the other team used different balls, and the final part of the question was something like "how did Wilson's balls feel" or something like that, so they were still processing their chuckles, etc.
I didn’t realize the video was edited.

Shark? I couldn’t help myself
So I went to their menu and don’t know what it’s called perhaps the Buffalo Chicken Sandwhich. This was about 9 months ago where Parker maybe had $10k in NIL and some was from a sandwhich at Sally’s but now I can’t find the article. Maybe I dreamt it and so we can call it Shark :)

A negative fan base seeps into the psyche of the community which most certainly impacts whether local recruits see the Gophers as a desirable place to lace up their sneakers. If the community talks smack about their local D-1 university, it makes that option less attractive to MN preps. The grass is always greener elsewhere... we don't need pathetic 'woe is me' attitudes to make it worse.

The impacts of this negativity reach into the elementary schools where we should be cultivating a love and passion for Gopher hoops. The U should be a dream school for every born and bred MN kid. These are the future 4 and 5 star athletes that will commit to the Gophers the day they get the offer because they have waited their whole life for the opportunity! Khalid committed during his sophomore year as a birthday present to Clem!

We need to cultivate that passion again.
While I agree, it doesn't take much for our fickle fan base to get excited about things. We are all homers by heart. I just saw the Wolves play to a sell out where they are now mocked because the fan base was TOO pumped up following a win. Most people from Minnesota want to rubes.

I think if Ben Johnson had this team playing better than .500 basketball in the Big 10, the fans would come. If they actually went on a run, the fans would come in spades. We are dying to be rubes.

So I went to their menu and don’t know what it’s called perhaps the Buffalo Chicken Sandwhich. This was about 9 months ago where Parker maybe had $10k in NIL and some was from a sandwhich at Sally’s but now I can’t find the article. Maybe I dreamt it and so we can call it Shark :)
Parker Fox Loaded Tater Tots. They are part of the "secret menu".

A bunch of restaurants put out tik toks with their secret menus and that's one of them at Sally's.

While I agree, it doesn't take much for our fickle fan base to get excited about things. We are all homers by heart. I just saw the Wolves play to a sell out where they are now mocked because the fan base was TOO pumped up following a win. Most people from Minnesota want to rubes.

I think if Ben Johnson had this team playing better than .500 basketball in the Big 10, the fans would come. If they actually went on a run, the fans would come in spades. We are dying to be rubes.
That is part of the MN way... we come out in droves for a big game but, in true passive aggressive fashion, will say 'I knew they wouldn't win' if they lose the big game. It is tiring.

Fans almost always go into some sort of fatalistic 'I guess we just aren't able to have nice things' mindset. Instead, they might focus their anger on the refs, the bad calls, etc. like every other fan base.

You don't see fans in NY, Philly, or Boston thinking that they don't deserve a winner. They all assume that their team should win the championship in every sport in every year!

That is part of the MN way... we come out in droves for a big game but, in true passive aggressive fashion, will say 'I knew they wouldn't win' if they lose the big game. It is tiring.

Fans almost always go into some sort of fatalistic 'I guess we just aren't able to have nice things' mindset. Instead, they might focus their anger on the refs, the bad calls, etc. like every other fan base.

You don't see fans in NY, Philly, or Boston thinking that they don't deserve a winner. They all assume that their team should win the championship in every sport in every year!
Perceptions like that get formed by past realities. When you look at Minnesota professional and amateur teams, you would have to be delusional to have those expectations. Considering how our teams perform and how many of them there are to choose from in a town this size- I think our fans are pretty solid.

Perceptions like that get formed by past realities. When you look at Minnesota professional and amateur teams, you would have to be delusional to have those expectations. Considering how our teams perform and how many of them there are to choose from in a town this size- I think our fans are pretty solid.
The Red Sox underachieved for decades. The Patriots were a joke. My Boston friends STILL thought they were the best thing since sliced bread!

You have to admit that Minnesotans do not typically boast. I am saying that we need to be proud and have faith in our team NOT assume that something bad is going to happen which is why I was responding to a post in the first place.

Isn't that sort of how recruiting works? There are always a serious of circumstances and connections that bring players to and from different programs.

Dawson has other options (Iowa State, St. Thomas, moving away while family member is sick, etc.), and if he chooses to come here, it's a recruiting victory.

Just like when we lose out on recruits, I don't really care how close we were. When we land recruits, I don't really care what advantages we had. It's about results and this one would be a good one.

Sure, but that totally disproves their statement so it doesn't matter. Lest we forget this is the poster who believes PJ is playing the players that suck up to his culture even though better players who could help us win more games are on the squad.

So you never met a Red Sox fan before they finally broke the streak? I knew plenty and they were as annoying as we are with a much worse accent! Their inferiority complex towards the Yankees made the Vikes fans' for the Packers look like a bromance.

Last edited:

So you never met a Red Sox fan before they finally broke the streak? I knew plenty and they were as annoying as we are with a much worse accent! Their inferiority complex towards the Yankees was made the Vikes fans for the Packers look like a bromance.
I am talking about the Curse of the Bambino, pre-2004 Sox fans. They hated the Yankees but always felt that this was the year that they would beat them. They were not lacking for confidence.

I admit that my sample size was middle aged former jocks originally from New England that had moved to MSP but I heard about it year after year.

And yes... it has been worse since the Sox and Pats finally started winning! I dream of a day when we have that level of success!!

Knowing some people involved, that isn’t necessarily true. Dawson wasn’t loving UNC.

He'd already transferred once. He would have had to it out an entire season to transfer again. He was playing a lot, and producing at UNC, which made it to the NC game. Hard to imagine he was unhappy enough to want sit out an entire year, to play for a last place team.

I'm not going to feel guilty about having an advantage in this instance, the same way I'm not going to feel aggrieved that we have mostly geographical and other disadvantages in practically every other way (e.g. our school not being in a traditional talent/recruiting hotbed or having a blue blood heritage). Not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm with you 100% on being the windshield for a change, instead of the bug. I'm also hoping Garcia stays home, and along with Battle, can help sway some of the home grown talent to stick around. If we could just keep our home grown players in-state, we'd compete for the B1G title every year. My point was that if this happens, it kind of fell into the staff's lap, and doesn't necessarily point to their outstanding recruiting efforts.

I'm with you 100% on being the windshield for a change, instead of the bug. I'm also hoping Garcia stays home, and along with Battle, can help sway some of the home grown talent to stick around. If we could just keep our home grown players in-state, we'd compete for the B1G title every year. My point was that if this happens, it kind of fell into the staff's lap, and doesn't necessarily point to their outstanding recruiting efforts.
100%. I know some people think it's silly to want local kids, but I disagree. In a couple of years, we could easily have a starting line up that includes at least 4 MN players (hopefully 5 - i'm looking at you Chatman).

C: Payne
PF: Garcia
SF: Battle
SG: Carrington

If a team like that made any sort of run, I have a hard time believing that doesn't impact the younger classes in MN. There are 8th graders who have looked up to Carrington for 2-3 years and maybe 1 or 2 of those kids will be D1 players in 4 years. It has to help.

100%. I know some people think it's silly to want local kids, but I disagree. In a couple of years, we could easily have a starting line up that includes at least 4 MN players (hopefully 5 - i'm looking at you Chatman).

If a team like that made any sort of run, I have a hard time believing that doesn't impact the younger classes in MN. There are 8th graders who have looked up to Carrington for 2-3 years and maybe 1 or 2 of those kids will be D1 players in 4 years. It has to help.
A better Fab 5

Mn guys from the past 5 years that left the state:

Chet Holmgren, Kerwin Walton, Dawson Garcia, Dain Dainja, Jalen Suggs, Ben Carlson, Stephen Crowl, Matthew Hurt, Zeke Nnaji, Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr, Race Thompson, Nate Reuvers, Jericho Sims, Brad Davison....obviously you can't land them all, but you're in the dance every year if you can keep most of them home.

Along with Chatman, and Freitag, let's add Nolan Winter, Boden Kapke, and Jack Robison.

Mn guys from the past 5 years that left the state:

Chet Holmgren, Kerwin Walton, Dawson Garcia, Dain Dainja, Jalen Suggs, Ben Carlson, Stephen Crowl, Matthew Hurt, Zeke Nnaji, Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr, Race Thompson, Nate Reuvers, Jericho Sims, Brad Davison....obviously you can't land them all, but you're in the dance every year if you can keep most of them home.
Nothing to base it on, but I feel Ben would have had over a handful of those guys. I know people just want the best player available, but if that best player is from the home state, it's just icing on the cake. I think things are looking up for both boxes to be checked.

Nothing to base it on, but I feel Ben would have had over a handful of those guys. I know people just want the best player available, but if that best player is from the home state, it's just icing on the cake. I think things are looking up for both boxes to be checked.

I agree on Ben. By all accounts he was responsible for recruiting Coffey & Oturu, and is supposed to be as plugged into the Mn AAU cicuit as anyone. We all want the best available player, but we also want to create a culture where Mn kids dream of being Gophers, and we're the team to beat for all the top Mn prospects.

Top Bottom