All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Watched a full game on YouTube that Mutuf played in. One takeaway I had was that his coach seemed to put a lot of trust in him and that he pretty much had the green light to shoot. Also, when things seemed to be getting out of control the team would get the ball to Mutaf and he would calm things down and generally make a good decision.

Thanks for sharing! That sounds really promising. Would fill a weakness we have with shooting the ball

I never said there were random favorable rulings, but when looking at approving waivers, they talk to the previous school. RJ and plenty of others have said Pitt wouldn't approve it for Carr which in most cases is extremely rare especially the last couple years. Another example was UNLV not cooperating with Ntambwe going to TT and his getting denied.

I said 95% of players that apply for waivers get them not all kids who transfer. Jeff Goodman kept tally of it on twitter last year. That's who I'm using for my data point. Feel free to prove it wrong and I'll gladly accept your data too.

My main point is if they feel they can get Robbins to apply for a waiver under one of those 4 things and Drake cooperates and approves, it'll happen. We will know by the fact if they even apply for it.
The high % meet the existing criteria, Carr did not meet one of the 4 areas. The 5th one will be approved but was not at the time.

Transfer also doesn't have a choice so they have to buy in. Redshirts work, but you have to recruit them that way out of HS and talk them into the benefits. It's not an easy sell to a HS kid who's the man at their respective school or on their team when they have other offers that don't require it.
Cool little note. the last two national champs had a total of 16 players combined play in those title games. 9 OF them were redshirts, 4 were 1st round picks, 2 were lottery picks.

Cool little note. the last two national champs had a total of 16 players combined play in those title games. 9 OF them were redshirts, 4 were 1st round picks, 2 were lottery picks.
Not a good sample size outside of the last two years...I think a couple of those 9 were transfers too but I'm not sure if that is factored in as I know Nova had at least one guy, I thought one more

Not a good sample size outside of the last two years...I think a couple of those 9 were transfers too but I'm not sure if that is factored in as I know Nova had at least one guy, I thought one more
It is a indication of what the kids are looking for, UVA has a great transfer that asked to sit ! A poster mentioned how it was part of recruiting, really targeting kids that love the academic jump, the conditioning, being mentored, wanting to reach completeness to the full capacity.

One would think Mutaf will contribute as a freshman. He clearly has confidence. He is listed as an NBA candidate in several places....people who follow these guys are aware of him. He has to have exhibited talent to those watching him play more than in a video or two.
Let's hope he is a Gopher That would be a nice trade for the Rice kid. Mutaf and Gach will help us.
Go Gophers! Get it done Richard. Oh, soon, please!

The high % meet the existing criteria, Carr did not meet one of the 4 areas. The 5th one will be approved but was not at the time.
I get what your are saying, but you are really gonna go out and say Pitt's denying it had nothing to do with it happen? They've been approving tons of them that are questionable and don't really fit the criteria. There's plenty of threads here with plenty of examples.

I stand by that Robbins will get a waiver if Drake ok's it and the U feels they can use one of those areas. It's not black and white as it should probably be.

I get what your are saying, but you are really gonna go out and say Pitt's denying it had nothing to do with it happen? They've been approving tons of them that are questionable and don't really fit the criteria. There's plenty of threads here with plenty of examples.

I stand by that Robbins will get a waiver if Drake ok's it and the U feels they can use one of those areas. It's not black and white as it should probably be.
I am not saying it had nothing to do with it because i do not know . I know that he did not prove to meet any of the criteria considered. Having been reasonably close to several transfers i saw how they did or did not meet the criteria and thus were allowed or not allowed. Football has been a thousand times murkier . As fans i think it is normal to feel like we got the short of it when one ours gets denied and some other teams get there's. Reminds me of fan bases that swear their team gets the short end of officiating. Our bias stands out unless we get very concious to watch with a open mind to simple human error. There are a great deal of elite programs who had transfer waivers denied when not meeting the criteria. I think Carr probably argued on the egregious behavior one by Stallings and had it not work out. We can be glad for it because not only can we never prove what might have been, which by nature i never cared much about but we have him now, presumably and without him for this year is not something i want to think about.

I am not saying it had nothing to do with it because i do not know . I know that he did not prove to meet any of the criteria considered. Having been reasonably close to several transfers i saw how they did or did not meet the criteria and thus were allowed or not allowed. Football has been a thousand times murkier . As fans i think it is normal to feel like we got the short of it when one ours gets denied and some other teams get there's. Reminds me of fan bases that swear their team gets the short end of officiating. Our bias stands out unless we get very concious to watch with a open mind to simple human error. There are a great deal of elite programs who had transfer waivers denied when not meeting the criteria. I think Carr probably argued on the egregious behavior one by Stallings and had it not work out. We can be glad for it because not only can we never prove what might have been, which by nature i never cared much about but we have him now, presumably and without him for this year is not something i want to think about.

I hear ya on those fans with crazy bias. Don't count me as one. I'm only going off info from guys like Ryan James who said Pitt admin wasn't helpful. The % I throw out is research done by Goodman that he shared on twitter last fall. I agree 100% that it was maybe a good thing all things considered. We don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Carr grew a ton during that sit out year, plus having Coffey and guys go against Willis and Carr in practice everyday had to be beneficial to that team. We will just have to see on Robbins. Truthfully, if Curry is healthy enough to give 15-20 minutes a game, we can get 15-20 out of Freeman/Omersa, I'm not worried about it if we get another wing who can score.

I hear ya on those fans with crazy bias. Don't count me as one. I'm only going off info from guys like Ryan James who said Pitt admin wasn't helpful. The % I throw out is research done by Goodman that he shared on twitter last fall. I agree 100% that it was maybe a good thing all things considered. We don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Carr grew a ton during that sit out year, plus having Coffey and guys go against Willis and Carr in practice everyday had to be beneficial to that team. We will just have to see on Robbins. Truthfully, if Curry is healthy enough to give 15-20 minutes a game, we can get 15-20 out of Freeman/Omersa, I'm not worried about it if we get another wing who can score.
Goodman did not actually do a study. If he would have he would have found that the high % of waivers filled were done by the criteria being met. Now there is no way for me to tell you that they may have been loose with some and tight with others. I know ones where a parent was terminally ill and the kid went home, he got his waiver. I know one who got recruited way over and had no playing time in his future, he got his. Another did a bone marrow donor for a relative and was allowed to go.

It is a indication of what the kids are looking for, UVA has a great transfer that asked to sit ! A poster mentioned how it was part of recruiting, really targeting kids that love the academic jump, the conditioning, being mentored, wanting to reach completeness to the full capacity.
I don't disagree that there are kids out there that seek that, I don't think there are many or its realistic to bank on getting many on a full team. If they are really into academics great, I would bet that it does not have any correlation to winning titles, conference or national, and its about winning big. I know UVA has had a nice run, but lets see if this model of academics, willing to redshirt, be mentored, and reaching this fullness is their base line. I bet it isn't

I don't disagree that there are kids out there that seek that, I don't think there are many or its realistic to bank on getting many on a full team. If they are really into academics great, I would bet that it does not have any correlation to winning titles, conference or national, and its about winning big. I know UVA has had a nice run, but lets see if this model of academics, willing to redshirt, be mentored, and reaching this fullness is their base line. I bet it isn't
Been good enough for 9 straight winning ACC records. Shedrick was a highly ranked recruit, redshirt and now joins this class. I think even with attracting better talent they will target those families, hell the families pursue them. The president of the G league himself wanted his kid to be in that model. Lets see from that class redshirts even with the transfer this year sitting to play two. The success line will continue and it is not like a nice little run, it is a bunch of ACC titles, the National Title, 12 games over Duke over 6 years. That was the goal, build a model that could be Duke, UNC. Nova has done it, so has UW. It is a very unique and highly successful part of the program and interesting to plant seeds way before the harvest.

To clarify, the idea of posting these sorts of things is the idea of investing in a players long term benefit, the teams success, the academic piece and the future of the program. I would have like to see the redshirt used here over the years especially in situations that guys played so little.

Goodman did not actually do a study. If he would have he would have found that the high % of waivers filled were done by the criteria being met. Now there is no way for me to tell you that they may have been loose with some and tight with others. I know ones where a parent was terminally ill and the kid went home, he got his waiver. I know one who got recruited way over and had no playing time in his future, he got his. Another did a bone marrow donor for a relative and was allowed to go.
Not sure why we are using past history to predict the process during a global pandemic? No prior year stats on transfers mean squat. The NCAA has already said that instead of granting a one time waiver for all, they will likely be more lenient to waiver requests this year due to COVID. Robbins fits that mold exactly, he has family here. Past criteria shouldn't be used as a guide this time around.

I am not predicting anything. Sharing what additions to waivers that are being considered. One of those is the provision of coaches leaving, quitting, retiring and being fired and sanctioned.

Nice to get mutaf, now on to Gach. Looks like Gach is taking virtual tours with a bunch of schools.

per Marcus:

"I picked the Gophers, because I feel it’s the right fit for me," Mutaf told the Star Tribune through text message. "We had good comminication with [Pitino] and his staff. Also, I believe that they have a good team and even better fans. I want to help the team as much as I can, and want to make an impact -- and be the best team player I can be."

Mutaf, who averaged 22 points and shot 44 percent from three-point range for his club team in the Adidas Next Generation Tournament in February, is known for his long-range shooting and ability to create his own shot off the dribble. His older brother, Cam Maxim Mutaf, is a member of the Turkish senior national basketball team and a successful pro in his country.

In the last week, Mutaf said he was deciding between coming to play for the Gophers or staying in Turkey to pursue a pro career like his brother.

"It was one of the options for me," Mutaf said. "But I decide to play [college basketball] and continue school and play basketball at the same time [for] improvement."

After taking a virtual tour of Minnesota's facilities and campus earlier this month, Mutaf was able to learn more about the Gophers from fellow countryman and former Gophers forward Alihan Demir, who "helped me about my decision," Mutaf said.

Demir enjoyed his senior year in Minnesota last season after transferring from Drexel. He graduated with a master's degree from the U this month.

"I have met him," Demir told the Star Tribune. "He called me about the school and the team to get my opinions. I haven't really watched him play, but I heard that he is a good player."

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Any updates on Utah transfer Both Gach’s recruiting status? – Dan Chang

A: I’ve been hearing the former Austin High standout is still unsure where he wants to go but could announce his decision as early as next week. Gach’s top five schools in no order are Minnesota, Maryland, Creighton, Iowa State and Auburn. The 6-foot-7 guard was testing the waters for the NBA Draft, but he could boost his stock for next year's draft if he returns to school. Playing immediately is his goal for college. If he transfers close to home, the chances of the NCAA granting him a waiver to be eligible in 2020-21 are heavily in his favor. The Gophers make sense in that regard. It also makes sense that Richard Pitino badly wants Gach to stay old in the backcourt. Gach has two years of experience playing in the Pac-12. He averaged 10 points for the Utes last season, which included a 19-point performance in a win vs. the Gophers. Gach’s versatility, length and athleticism would allow him to play all three perimeter spots and defend them as well. Seems like the perfect fit.

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

A transfer from Utah, Gach committed to his home state Gophers over Auburn, Creighton, Iowa State and Maryland. A 6-foot-7 junior guard and potential starter, he is the final piece to what could be a much-improved basketball team for Richard Pitino next season.

“I had a lot of greats options,” Gach told the Star Tribune on Monday night. “Being back home, getting closer to family during these bad times and having the opportunity to play for the home state is a blessing.”

A month after declaring for the NBA draft in April, Gach decided he would transfer if he returned to school. The Gophers are the closest to home. So, that gives Gach a better chance to receive an NCAA waiver to avoid sitting out the 2020-21 season.

“[But] it means a lot to me to come home and play so family and friends can get to see me in person and not just on TV,” Gach said.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had a kid go from baseline to baseline faster than what Both could do with the basketball,” Austin coach Kris Fadness said. “He could get a defensive rebound and be at the rim in three dribbles on the other end. Just a dynamic athlete and explosive in the open court.”

Gach left the state with dreams of playing in the NBA. And now he returns with those same aspirations.

“Obviously, getting to the NBA is the goal,” said Gach’s older brother Gach Gach. “[Finding] a place that can help him develop into the player he wants to be.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom