All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

WriterGoph

Incorrect, he is announcing on Thursday. Zagoria corrected himself today after he realized his error. I would be shocked at this point of he doesn't choose the Gophers.

Pitino is also firmly in the mix for Garcia. I haven't heard anything out of PL to indicate otherwise. It'll be a long few weeks since he's visiting Indiana Oct. 25-27, but I'm confident he'll be a Gopher when it's all said and done.
Nice. Have you heard if he is scheduling any other visits than IU?

golfing18now

Incorrect, he is announcing on Thursday. Zagoria corrected himself today after he realized his error. I would be shocked at this point of he doesn't choose the Gophers.

Pitino is also firmly in the mix for Garcia. I haven't heard anything out of PL to indicate otherwise. It'll be a long few weeks since he's visiting Indiana Oct. 25-27, but I'm confident he'll be a Gopher when it's all said and done.
I thought he corrected himself to say October 14th, instead of November 14th. Now you heard tomorrow?

Saber

I thought he corrected himself to say October 14th, instead of November 14th. Now you heard tomorrow?
I just went and looked, Zagoria did indeed say Oct 14th. So Monday, not Thursday, unless someone has more current info from elsewhere. But Zagoria posting earlier today saying Oct 14 seems like it's probably correct.

MnplsGopher

If you’re a top player and you’re pretty sure you know where you want to go .... do you still take all your official visits anyway ... like just for fun?

WriterGoph

If you’re a top player and you’re pretty sure you know where you want to go .... do you still take all your official visits anyway ... like just for fun?
I'd say the majority of kids do...and also to confirm they're making the right choice. Probably good to compare what you're feeling at different schools

UpAndUnder43

I'd say the majority of kids do...and also to confirm they're making the right choice. Probably good to compare what you're feeling at different schools
I have a few coworkers who were D1 athletes and asked them about this the other day. One of them was for sure going to Iowa to wrestle, took officials to Iowa, Nebraska, OK State, Penn St and Minnesota, just because it was all free. Ended up at Minnesota. So yeah, I think you might as well take some visits just to confirm what you think you know.

UpAndUnder43

Ok...so pipe dream here.

Mitchell is committed. Mashburn is coming, no doubt in my over-confident mind.

That leaves "one" scholarship.

I think we have a very legit chance at Garcia and Walton. I see a path to an open scholarship for one of them if necessary. Not saying Richard kicks a dude out BUT I could see someone leaving to make that spot open.

Otis

Walton's recruitment has been quiet the whole time but all indications are that we are still heavily on his mind.

Mashburn may dim the appeal a bit and there's no way we would want him over Garcia. So unless there is a scholarship opening soon via graduation, NBA draft or transfer we would likely be out.

Candidates for leaving early:

Curry - injured and could hang it up, also could graduate transfer. 45% chance of happening. But I'm just guessing. He's a good kid and he's overcome so much. I wouldn't bet against him coming back.

Oturu - Only real shot at being drafted early on team. He would have to blow up, way up! 10% chance of happening

Williams, Ihnen, Greenlee - one of these guys could transfer based on the toil of playing in the B1G or to get more opportunity. But I think they are all going to get some play. -5% chance of happening.

Last edited:

JimmyJamesMD

Walton's recruitment has been quiet the whole time but all indications are that we are still heavily on his mind.

Mashburn may dim the appeal a bit and there's no way we would want him over Garcia. So unless there is a scholarship opening soon via graduation, NBA draft or transfer we would likely be out.

Curry - injured and could hang it up, also could graduate transfer. 45% chance of happening. But I'm just guessing. He's a good kid and he's overcome so much. I wouldn't bet against him coming back.

Oturu - Only real shot at being drafted early on team. He would have to blow up, way up! 10% chance of happening

Williams, Ihnen, Greenlee - one of these guys could transfer based on the toil of playing in the B1G or to get more opportunity. But I think they are all going to get some play. -5% chance of happening.
Walton has had plenty of time to commit.

GuyFawkes

Win or Lose, WE DRINK!
Walton and Garcia are takes regardless of the amount commitments, if they go elsewhere it isn't because we didn't have room for them.

MnplsGopher

Ok...so pipe dream here.

Mitchell is committed. Mashburn is coming, no doubt in my over-confident mind.

That leaves "one" scholarship.

I think we have a very legit chance at Garcia and Walton. I see a path to an open scholarship for one of them if necessary. Not saying Richard kicks a dude out BUT I could see someone leaving to make that spot open.
Yes, I seem to recall a certain very tall Scandinavian who just happened to decide to leave the program when it looked certain like we were landing a certain transfer from North Dakota...

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11

Not trying to run off a player (especially a local kid) but is Hurt on track to graduate?

golfing18now

Yes, I seem to recall a certain very tall Scandinavian who just happened to decide to leave the program when it looked certain like we were landing a certain transfer from North Dakota...
This is a different situation than we are talking about this fall. Do we have a precedent where we had more guys committed than we had open spots and went through an entire season where it would be clear we needed to "Crean" somebody at the end of the year? I don't believe so. The Matz situation occurred when the North Dakota kid's signing was imminent/likely before Gonzaga came into the picture.

Or are you suggesting we would "Crean" somebody before THIS season?

Latest profile posts