All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

I don't think it means much, but Malik Ellison's friend, Traci Carter, committed to Marquette today. The two supposedly were thinking of going to the same college.

I agree. I had posted that story awhile back. But it appeared to be more of a leading question than anything about playing with his buddy.

No disrespect to Williams as I haven't seen him play, but does anyone else feel besides maybe Ellison or Walton that Sacar would be just as good if not better than the other wings we are going after like a Williams or a Tyson Jolly? Thoughts?

A number of poster have been very vocal with that opinion. The Gophers have only watched Williams and Jolly, they have not offered either.

A number of poster have been very vocal with that opinion. The Gophers have only watched Williams and Jolly, they have not offered either.

Thanks for the update. I saw we made Ellison's like final 5 today but I haven't heard where we stand with Walton for some time now

I thought Illikainen was consensus #1 and Jarvis was #2? Or do we not count Illikainen as he went to prep school?

Jarvis was a top-50 player as a sophomore, top-60 as a junior, had a more impressive offer list, and was the top target for this class from the time Pitino took over. Illikainen has typically been in the 100-130 range, may have briefly been barely in the top 100 at one point. He was the consensus #1 forward in the state, not player. Don't know and don't really care where Rivals has them now.

And yeah, it's irrelevant because as of August, Illikainen was no longer an in-state player. And as of this summer, he'll be less than irrelevant.

Agree that if Marshawn Wilson somehow qualifies and we never offered, that would really stink for us.

No disrespect to Williams as I haven't seen him play, but does anyone else feel besides maybe Ellison or Walton that Sacar would be just as good if not better than the other wings we are going after like a Williams or a Tyson Jolly? Thoughts?

Yes, but I get the sense that we think we are getting Ellison.

Definitely seeing a trend with the northeast kids.

in the three-game postseason Marshawn Wilson averaged 34.3 points and 13.7 rebounds. In an 85-78 loss to St. Paul Johnson in the section final, he had 40 points 18 rebounds.

"Without question, he is the most athletic player in the state," Johnson coach Vern Simmons said...... Per HM coach. He's handling his grades and doing very well. He's taking responsibility for his expectations and asking for help when needed. School is a priority.

"The overall maturing he has done over the last four years has been really impressive."

Wilson has offers from Wisconsin, Iowa State, Creighton and Texas Christian. Marquette also is interested. He has made an official visit to Creighton and an unofficial one to Wisconsin, and plans to make official visits to TCU, Wisconsin and Iowa State.

I'm not sure where you got this but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion Wilson will have to go the JUCO route. The "offers" he has don't really matter.

I'm not sure where you got this but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion Wilson will have to go the JUCO route. The "offers" he has don't really matter.

Also- I believe that I have read that there is definite mutual interest between Wilson and Minnesota were he able to qualify. I don't think the staff is sleeping on him. With 3 schollys we are definitely in a great position versus most programs to scoop up a late qualifier with big potential like Wilson.

I don't know as much about Williams but I'd probably put Jolly ahead of Sacar. I'm a little bit surprised that we haven't offered him but I'm hoping that is because the staff feels very good about the landing Ellison. Jolly is a late riser who missed the last half of last season after suffering a serious health scare that I believe was from blood clots. He has offers from teams like Cal, Creighton, and Oklahoma State.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...s-high-school-basketball-player-year-marshawn

He got it from this article yesterday in the Pioneer Press;
which named Wilson the 'Pioneer Press High School Basketball Player of the Year'

I didnt know he is still in the running for MN Mr. Basketball. Nice, my favorite high school player this past season.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can't imagine this is good news for the Gophers.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; border-radius: 5px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; width: 500px;" title="Embedded Tweet" height="162"></iframe>

The important thing is you're not taking yourself too seriously.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Ugh. A statement like that means he has gotten a call from one of the blue bloods who have asked him to hold off making a decision until they see what roster spots open up. It's not good news. The only good news in it is that the kid is drawing some serious attention and must be a good get.

Isn't this like 2 days after he announced he was down to 6 schools?

per Amelia in her Q&A:

Which incoming recruits keep us out of the conference basement next season?

--@cylinen

While Minnesota likely have another struggling season next year with so much youth on the roster, there is plenty to get excited about. Point guard Kevin Dorsey has end-to-end speed and great vision. Six-three guard Dupree McBrayer can light up the scoreboard. And I'm betting we'll see shooting guard Malik Ellison -- who at 6-6 has just the size coach Richard Pitino is craving in his backcourt -- commit before May. If so, we'll probably be looking at a top-20 class -- something that hasn't been done in Minnesota in a long time.

Are we going to utilize the scholarships for next year or bag some of them for 2016?

--@scatonato

I think some of both. As I mentioned earlier, I think the Gophers add Ellison to the mix and then maybe a JUCO or two, if they can find some big men to fill holes. But I'd be surprised if Minnesota uses all four available this spring -- 2016 will be a light recruiting class with only two seniors (Joey King and Carlos Morris) graduating the year before, so the Gophers could use the extras.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/295928511.html

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia in her Q&A:

Which incoming recruits keep us out of the conference basement next season?

--@cylinen

While Minnesota likely have another struggling season next year with so much youth on the roster, there is plenty to get excited about. Point guard Kevin Dorsey has end-to-end speed and great vision. Six-three guard Dupree McBrayer can light up the scoreboard. And I'm betting we'll see shooting guard Malik Ellison -- who at 6-6 has just the size coach Richard Pitino is craving in his backcourt -- commit before May. If so, we'll probably be looking at a top-20 class -- something that hasn't been done in Minnesota in a long time.

Are we going to utilize the scholarships for next year or bag some of them for 2016?

--@scatonato

I think some of both. As I mentioned earlier, I think the Gophers add Ellison to the mix and then maybe a JUCO or two, if they can find some big men to fill holes. But I'd be surprised if Minnesota uses all four available this spring -- 2016 will be a light recruiting class with only two seniors (Joey King and Carlos Morris) graduating the year before, so the Gophers could use the extras.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/295928511.html

Go Gophers!!

There are only 3 available this spring....so I would also be surprised if we use 4. :) I'd guess we use only 2 unless they find the right senior transfer.

This Ellison recruitment suddenly and unfortunately feels like Tum Tum's last year.

According to Brad Winton, Gophers are interested in 6'8 220lbs forward Dale Jones from Tyler JC. He is averaging 17.4ppg and 8.5rpg. He is one of the top 3 point shooters in all of JUCO ball. Jones is shooting 46% (99-215) from 3 and also shoots 84% from the line. Iowa also has interest according to Winton.

Edit: Jones played today in the JUCO National Tourney and scored 21 points on 5-11 from 3, in a win. Also had 7 boards.

According to Brad Winton, Gophers are interested in 6'8 220lbs forward Dale Jones from Tyler JC. He is averaging 17.4ppg and 8.5rpg. He is one of the top 3 point shooters in all of JUCO ball. Jones is shooting 46% (99-215) from 3 and also shoots 84% from the line. Iowa also has interest according to Winton.

Edit: Jones played today in the JUCO National Tourney and scored 21 points on 5-11 from 3, in a win. Also had 7 boards.

Iowa just picked up a commitment from 6-7 Christian Williams who the Gophers were looking at - perhaps this helps us with Jones.

Iowa just picked up a commitment from 6-7 Christian Williams who the Gophers were looking at - perhaps this helps us with Jones.

Jones had a good game in Tyler's win today, but he looks like another forward who likes to shoot the 3. We already have one of those. We need a rebounder!

Jones had a good game in Tyler's win today, but he looks like another forward who likes to shoot the 3. We already have one of those. We need a rebounder!

Jones is averaging 7.6 defensive rebounds per game, good for sixth in the country.

“@mjessenhoward: Kimani Young talks with Tyler Kohl on a ”day-to-day basis.“ Kohl will set up a Minnesota visit in the next couple of weeks. #Gophers”

“@mjessenhoward: Minnesota is recruiting Tyler Kohl the hardest right now. #Gophers”

Losing faith in our chances with Ellison. No information to back it up just don't have the feeling he's coming here

Top Bottom