All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

It was well documented that his old man was looking for a program that used "big" point guards and he wanted Amir to play the point in college. My reference was a weak attempt at non emoticon sarcasm. In most of the real world, he probably is a 2 or 3.

Does he play PG at hopkins?

When Richard Coffey said that he wants him to play pg. I think he just want it to be flexible on which player brings the ball up court. I don't think there is a single team in history with their primary pg at 6' 7". Amir could still grow too so he could get even taller. I think it would be crazy to play a 6' 7" or taller pg when we have 6' 3" guys playing the wing.

When Richard Coffey said that he wants him to play pg. I think he just want it to be flexible on which player brings the ball up court. I don't think there is a single team in history with their primary pg at 6' 7". Amir could still grow too so he could get even taller. I think it would be crazy to play a 6' 7" or taller pg when we have 6' 3" guys playing the wing.

In history?

In history??
MagicJohnsonMSU.jpg

Recent history. But Magic Johnson is one of few big point guards

I'm just giving you sh**. You said a single team in history.

Shaun Livingston is currently the tallest I can think of right now. Marko Jaric and Penny Hardaway also were around 6'7".

I'm sure Coffey could be a point forward or SG in this system. Even Royce White played that hybrid point forward for ISU.

Jalen Rose at 6'8" also played the point at Michigan and with the Pacers.

Shaun Livingston is currently the tallest I can think of right now. Marko Jaric and Penny Hardaway also were around 6'7".

I'm sure Coffey could be a point forward or SG in this system. Even Royce White played that hybrid point forward for ISU.
Hah it's fine! I'm just saying in today's game it's not a regular thing to have your true pg be big. I hope Pitino gets Carlos Morris into a point-forward role to show he can use Amir in that way.

Recent history. But Magic Johnson is one of few big point guards

If we include 6'6" point guards as tall enough then you have to add tyreke evens(in college 2nd half of season, in the NBA he's mostly a SG) and Michael Carter-Williams(college and NBA) to the list in terms of recent college and NBA history.

Kyle Anderson played PG last year for UCLA at 6'9

Yes, though that was as more to satisfy his ego then help the offence.

He only averaged 5.0 assists per game. No gopher since the 2001 season (which is as far back as the ESPN stats go back) has averaged more than 4.8 which was Burleseon in in 02.

why are we still in this thread? Let's let an Illikainen/UW thread die and talk about Amir in the Amir thread

Michael Carter Williams at Cuse comes to mind. 6-6 and averaged 12 PPG, 7.8 APG, 2.8 SPG and 4.9 RPG in 2012-13.

why are we still in this thread? Let's let an Illikainen/UW thread die and talk about Amir in the Amir thread

I tried awhile back to get us off this thread, to no avail.

If some want to talk, let'm talk

BTW I think Megan Newquist is very nice looking.

I have a feeling AI to the skunks is going to seem a lot like Joe Krabbenhoff. Sure would have liked him in Maroon. Will likely hate him in Red.

AI would be pretty disappointed with that career. Krabbenhoff was nothing but a blue collar hustle guy, despite being a 5 star recruit.

AI would be pretty disappointed with that career. Krabbenhoff was nothing but a blue collar hustle guy, despite being a 5 star recruit.

Considering how much some people covet recruiting 'stars'... I'd rather be a 5 star with a mediocre college career than and borderline 4 star with a solid college career!

Considering how much some people covet recruiting 'stars'... I'd rather be a 5 star with a mediocre college career than and borderline 4 star with a solid college career!

The problem is, you are neither. :)

I see that PF Ed Morrow committed to Nebraska. For those of you with insight, how did he compare vs. AI? I know neither are coming to the Gophs but would he have been a better fit for Pitino's system? Curious...

I see that PF Ed Morrow committed to Nebraska. For those of you with insight, how did he compare vs. AI? I know neither are coming to the Gophs but would he have been a better fit for Pitino's system? Curious...

Both would have fit in different ways. Morrow is more of a traditional-style PF but in a SF body. Plays around the rim a lot, very athletic and active, not much shooting range though. Illikainen is more like Joey King. Would have been good in the pick-and-pop role, hitting trail 3's, also has pretty good footwork inside I think (though I think he'll have trouble scoring inside against big PFs, as Alex is closer to 6'7" than his listed height of 6'9", with modest leaping ability).

Both of Morrow's parents went to Nebraska, so I think the writing was on the wall there for a while.

Top Bottom