All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

Many posters seem very angry at AI’s commitment to UW. I’m disappointed too. I was hoping that he would be wearing maroon and gold someday. I hope most of us recognize the fact that SoMpls and the other bashers actually have no idea the conversations between AI, Pulley, Pinto,and UW. With that being said… As MN basketball fans, we should be PROUD that many of our players are making to the next level. I’m looking forward to watching Tyus at Duke, Reid at Stanford, and Macura at Xavier. :cool:

This new poster must be a parent, coach, rival of the Gophers, or a Pulley employee.

AI just has to hope he doesn't turn into Evan Anderson or JP Gavinsky. Not every highly touted big man amounts to something at UW. Both those guys turned into towel wavers that eventually gave up their scholarships for the "good of the program."

Assuming this is a shot at Bo for attempting to manage his roster, you are wrong. Gavinsky was on scholarship for 5 years, despite never playing a meaningful minute. Anderson played a few spot minutes of real time during his career, but left as this past season with a season of eligibility remaining (he redshirted his first year). UW still has open scholarships heading into this season, so I believe it is fair to say that he would still be on the team and on scholarship if he chose to do so. Not every recruit works out as planned. I suspect you could find some examples for all coaches, even those considered to be good at player development. My personal opinion is that Illikainen has a chance to develop into a player like Mike Wilkinson, which would be great for UW. I think he's a very solid addition to the program. Finally, Gavinsky was a way better towel waver, but Anderson could dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26RvN24bkHU

Many posters seem very angry at AI’s commitment to UW. I’m disappointed too. I was hoping that he would be wearing maroon and gold someday. I hope most of us recognize the fact that SoMpls and the other bashers actually have no idea the conversations between AI, Pulley, Pinto,and UW. With that being said… As MN basketball fans, we should be PROUD that many of our players are making to the next level. I’m looking forward to watching Tyus at Duke, Reid at Stanford, and Macura at Xavier. :cool:

If a kid from MN chooses to pick Wisky when he has an offer from the Gophers, it ticks me off. Justified or not, I don't care - it ticks me off.

Who did I bash?? The fact is if I don't know it must mean you do right?? But I do know the Pulley program had an influence. You can say what you want but AI came to the Pulley program thinking he was going to be the next Reid Travis, didn't happen!! Now in September he's looking at the offers he use to have, the offers he thought he'd get, and the offers he actually had I'm sure he wasn't satisfied. All of the sudden after 2 years of evaluation Wisconsin finally comes with an offer around a month ago and he commits after not taking any other official visits. But you don't think that's a coincidence??? okay... :rolleyes:

I actually hope Alex has great games against us and WE still win every damned game with Wisky while he's there.

It's funny to hear so many posters act like they wouldn't have been excited had AI chosen to be a Gopher. I can understand not wanting him at the expense of our current commits, but let's not pretend we wouldn't have been happy if a lower level player had transferred and opened up a spot for him.

Again, your proving my point....I hope most of us recognize the fact that SoMpls and the other bashers actually have no idea!

I don't think anyone is angry at Alex for choosing WI. Annoyed that we're losing a good in-state player to the grinch, yes, but not angry at the kid. It's obviously a good situation for him.

As others have said, I wish him a prosperous career at Madison and all the success in the world, just not on the basketball court ;)

Who did I bash?? The fact is if I don't know it must mean you do right?? But I do know the Pulley program had an influence. You can say what you want but AI came to the Pulley program thinking he was going to be the next Reid Travis, didn't happen!! Now in September he's looking at the offers he use to have, the offers he thought he'd get, and the offers he actually had I'm sure he wasn't satisfied. All of the sudden after 2 years of evaluation Wisconsin finally comes with an offer around a month ago and he commits after not taking any other official visits. But you don't think that's a coincidence??? okay... :rolleyes:
Illikainen took an official visit to Cal last winter and Iowa at the end of August and also had one scheduled to Oregon that he cancelled after they received a commitment from another 4 star PF.

All of the sudden after 2 years of evaluation Wisconsin finally comes with an offer around a month ago and he commits after not taking any other official visits. But you don't think that's a coincidence??? okay... :rolleyes:

You mean besides the official he took to Iowa just a few weeks ago?

You really think Wisconsin just decided to take on a Top 150 kid to please Pulley, or do you suppose just maybe Bo Ryan thought the kid could play?

I'm gonna go with the latter. Sorry.

Settled for a team predicted to win the Big Ten? That sounds like Tom Brady settled for Giselle. And I hate Wisconsin just as much as the rest of you!

You really think Wisconsin just decided to take on a Top 150 kid to please Pulley, or do you suppose just maybe Bo Ryan thought the kid could play?

Hummmm, really difficult choice. I'll go with Bo thought he could play and he and his parents thought it would be a good place to play basketball and get an education.

Sorry SoMpls.

"Our players?" What? I just don't get this attitude.

"Our players?" What? I just don't get this attitude.

+1 I didn't grow up in Minnesota, but I did attend the University of Minnesota for undergrad and grad school, so to me "our players" are the ones who play for the U, not kids who are Minnesotans but choose to play elsewhere. I frankly have zero affinity for Tyus, Reid, Macura, Alex or anyone else wearing a different uniform.

I frankly have zero affinity for Tyus, Reid, Macura, Alex or anyone else wearing a different uniform.

Agree. I will follow them to some degree, but have very little reason cheer for them, especially not Rashad or the Wisconsin Badger.

+1 I didn't grow up in Minnesota, but I did attend the University of Minnesota for undergrad and grad school, so to me "our players" are the ones who play for the U, not kids who are Minnesotans but choose to play elsewhere. I frankly have zero affinity for Tyus, Reid, Macura, Alex or anyone else wearing a different uniform.

Exactly! I'm not a fan of Minnesota high school basketball in general. It's like people who cheer for conferences, or regions, or something. I cheer for the Gophers. I cheer against everybody else, as a matter of course. If you choose to not be a Gopher, you're choosing to be somebody I cheer against. That seems to me to be inherent in the concept of sports fandom.

The dead giveaway on top of the key is he could care less about rashad Vaughn the only one who will play in the Nba

Anyways leaving the state with a gopher offer is the ultimate betrayal thus these shall be treated as such when they return to the barn

Exactly! I'm not a fan of Minnesota high school basketball in general. It's like people who cheer for conferences, or regions, or something. I cheer for the Gophers. I cheer against everybody else, as a matter of course. If you choose to not be a Gopher, you're choosing to be somebody I cheer against. That seems to me to be inherent in the concept of sports fandom.

No.

At least it shouldn't be. Seems as though sportsmanship has gone out the window.

Wait!What?

Are you cheering for Michigan this weekend as well as Minnesota?

I'm guessing I need to answer this.

As a Gopher fan I will always cheer against the team we are playing, AND teams we are competing against in the standings. There is no logical reason to cheer against anyone else. Wishing bad to someone/some team other than those is idiotic and sad. I guess it makes some people feel better about themselves.

It's a game.

As a Gopher fan I will always cheer against the team we are playing, AND teams we are competing against in the standings. There is no logical reason to cheer against anyone else. Wishing bad to someone/some team other than those is idiotic and sad. I guess it makes some people feel better about themselves.

It's a game.

But it's easier for the pups to talk smack doing things their way.

It's a game.

But cheering against a team or player is very different than wishing bad on someone/some team. You can cheer against a team without animus simply because you're cheering for someone/some team to beat them. There doesn't have to be hate involved.

But cheering against a team or player is very different than wishing bad on someone/some team. You can cheer against a team without animus simply because you're cheering for someone/some team to beat them. There doesn't have to be hate involved.

Right, Windy. But we have GH'ers who wish injury on OUR OWN GUYS so their favorite can play instead.

What is the point to cheer against some team? It doesn't affect the game.

Not sure if everyone realizes this, but if you take the cumulative record of all the other games the the winning % will .500. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom