All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Bo Nix stats this last year were 364-of-470 passing for 4,504 yards with 45 touchdowns, three interceptions and a completion percentage of 77.44% which is the all-time NCAA season completion % leader.
He is mobile and can run pretty well. He has played a lot of college football, and he has a family football pedigree.
If he is there at #11, take him and keep pick #23.

Bo Nix stats this last year were 364-of-470 passing for 4,504 yards with 45 touchdowns, three interceptions and a completion percentage of 77.44% which is the all-time NCAA season completion % leader.
He is mobile and can run pretty well. He has played a lot of college football, and he has a family football pedigree.
If he is there at #11, take him and keep pick #23.
My concern is he didn't have to throw downfield much. His air yards per pass attempt was 120th in the country last year.

JJ only had 713 pass attempts & 44 TDs over 3 seasons, per a talking head on ESPN. That’s not a lot.

JJ only had 713 pass attempts & 44 TDs over 3 seasons, per a talking head on ESPN. That’s not a lot.

It was 49 TDs. It's still 70 more pass attempts, 5 more TDs, half as many INTs, and a 12% higher completion percentage than Josh Allen had over 3 seasons in college.

A little gossip about QB's and the Vikes from the Owner's meetings:

The Washington Commanders are still going through their process at No. 2 and being tight-lipped about it. Some people think they'll take Jayden Daniels, others think Drake Maye, but I don't think Washington even knows for sure yet. The New England Patriots at No. 3 are a mystery but open to trading down if they aren't in love with whichever quarterback is there at No. 3.

The Minnesota Vikings and the Las Vegas Raiders both seem very eager to trade up, and it sounds like there could be a competition between those two, especially if Daniels is still there at No. 3 and the Patriots decide not to take him. A lot of people think the Giants' guy is J.J. McCarthy, and if so, the question is whether they can sit at No. 6 and take him or whether they might need to trade up a spot or two. -- Dan Graziano

New York Giants

The Giants are looking closely at quarterbacks. As they should, considering owner John Mara revealed that he was told by his front office that this is the "most talented group to come in years." Mara is not going to stop the Giants from taking a quarterback at the top of the draft, if general manager Joe Schoen and coach Brian Daboll so desire. Daboll revealed he will be attending "a few pro days." Well, Jayden Daniels throws Wednesday at LSU, and UNC's Drake Maye puts his talents on display Thursday. Listening to the Giants speak this week verifies the legitimacy of their interest in taking a quarterback. -- Jordan Raanan

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings haven't sent their top decision-makers to the pro day workouts of the draft's top quarterbacks, but that attendance record shouldn't be viewed as a verdict on their appraisals or draft intentions. Instead, general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and coach Kevin O'Connell will orchestrate private workouts with the quarterbacks they are interested in potentially replacing the departed Kirk Cousins.

"I think pro days are great for a lot of reasons," O'Connell said, "having nothing to do with the script and nothing to do with what you actually get to see when you make the effort to go there. I think they're great. I think the guys are doing a great job with them and the people that get a lot out of that. I think it's valuable and it's valuable for us as a piece of it, but nothing compares to really completing that full process with a visit or them maybe coming to the Twin Cities for one of our 30 visits." -- Kevin Seifert

A little gossip about QB's and the Vikes from the Owner's meetings:

The Washington Commanders are still going through their process at No. 2 and being tight-lipped about it. Some people think they'll take Jayden Daniels, others think Drake Maye, but I don't think Washington even knows for sure yet. The New England Patriots at No. 3 are a mystery but open to trading down if they aren't in love with whichever quarterback is there at No. 3.

The Minnesota Vikings and the Las Vegas Raiders both seem very eager to trade up, and it sounds like there could be a competition between those two, especially if Daniels is still there at No. 3 and the Patriots decide not to take him. A lot of people think the Giants' guy is J.J. McCarthy, and if so, the question is whether they can sit at No. 6 and take him or whether they might need to trade up a spot or two. -- Dan Graziano

New York Giants

The Giants are looking closely at quarterbacks. As they should, considering owner John Mara revealed that he was told by his front office that this is the "most talented group to come in years." Mara is not going to stop the Giants from taking a quarterback at the top of the draft, if general manager Joe Schoen and coach Brian Daboll so desire. Daboll revealed he will be attending "a few pro days." Well, Jayden Daniels throws Wednesday at LSU, and UNC's Drake Maye puts his talents on display Thursday. Listening to the Giants speak this week verifies the legitimacy of their interest in taking a quarterback. -- Jordan Raanan

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings haven't sent their top decision-makers to the pro day workouts of the draft's top quarterbacks, but that attendance record shouldn't be viewed as a verdict on their appraisals or draft intentions. Instead, general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and coach Kevin O'Connell will orchestrate private workouts with the quarterbacks they are interested in potentially replacing the departed Kirk Cousins.

"I think pro days are great for a lot of reasons," O'Connell said, "having nothing to do with the script and nothing to do with what you actually get to see when you make the effort to go there. I think they're great. I think the guys are doing a great job with them and the people that get a lot out of that. I think it's valuable and it's valuable for us as a piece of it, but nothing compares to really completing that full process with a visit or them maybe coming to the Twin Cities for one of our 30 visits." -- Kevin Seifert

There was a good, informative and brief discussion about Pro Days on one of the more recent Vikings podcasts I was listening to today.

Essentially, the teams find very, very little value in the Pro Days, particularly for QBs, at least when it comes to on-field throwing drills. They are incredibly scripted, the ball pretty much never touches the ground, controlled environment, comfortable receivers, etc. For certain, there is value in meeting and talking with the players.

If/when teams are really serious about a QB, they'll schedule the private workouts, which it sounds like the Vikings have done at a minimum with McCarthy. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams try to keep these private workouts as hush hush as possible. That is where the teams can TRULY put a QB through his paces and see what they want to see.

There was a good, informative and brief discussion about Pro Days on one of the more recent Vikings podcasts I was listening to today.

Essentially, the teams find very, very little value in the Pro Days, particularly for QBs, at least when it comes to on-field throwing drills. They are incredibly scripted, the ball pretty much never touches the ground, controlled environment, comfortable receivers, etc. For certain, there is value in meeting and talking with the players.

If/when teams are really serious about a QB, they'll schedule the private workouts, which it sounds like the Vikings have done at a minimum with McCarthy. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams try to keep these private workouts as hush hush as possible. That is where the teams can TRULY put a QB through his paces and see what they want to see.
Agreed. We tried to move up for Richardson last year who has a similar style and build to Daniels. The guy you hear about least might be the guy we want the most. Or it's wishful thinking on my part.

Agreed. We tried to move up for Richardson last year who has a similar style and build to Daniels. The guy you hear about least might be the guy we want the most. Or it's wishful thinking on my part.

Richardson is about 35 lbs heavier than Daniels. Daniels is very slight of frame and runs a lot. He reminds me of a less accurate intermediate/over the middle passer version of RGIII.

Whichever team takes Daniels will have to build a different offense around him like Baltimore does with Lamar Jackson. I don't see the Vikings taking him for that reason, and if any of the top 4 qbs slide, I won't be surprised if it's Daniels.

The most comparable QB to Richardson in this draft would be Drake Maye.

Way too much competition for QB. That is painfully obvious. We aren’t getting a “top 4” without giving away the farm.

I hope they don’t.

I don’t care if they take Nix or Penix at 11. Would rather take the first defender and see if either of those are there at 23. If not or if they really don’t like those guys then F it. Trade it back or take another position like Gaurd.

Don’t fret, you’re not the only with Danielsitis (me 2); Louis Riddick compared his throwing motion to CJ Stroud and said he proved he could throw the deep ball at LSU. This was obvious to anyone who watched LSU play this year, which I did, as most B10 non-Gopher games bore the heck out of me.

What’s even wilder is how accurate he was, while slinging that pigskin all over the field.

The aforementioned points are shown in the data below, as he easily had the highest yds/attempt and had the third highest completion %, just behind Saint JJ, while throwing 18 more TDs (40-22),with the same amount of interceptions 4, in 5 fewer attempts. As you can imagine, he had the highest QBR @ 95.6 in the land. Gimme that production baby🥳🤠🎊

Daniels 11.7 @72.2%
Nix 9.6 @77.4%
Williams 9.4 @68.6%
JJ - 9.0 @72.3%
Pennix 8.8 @65.4%
Maye 8.5 @63.3%

The clear winner using these metrics is Daniels. The great thing I learned working with data, is that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own data.

Last edited:

I didn't catch the whole bit but the Powertrip guys were talking about KOC maybe tipping his hand on Penix during an interview? Then again, everything is over analyzed right now. That said, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Vikes do not move up and use 23 on Penix/Nix.

I didn't catch the whole bit but the Powertrip guys were talking about KOC maybe tipping his hand on Penix during an interview? Then again, everything is over analyzed right now. That said, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Vikes do not move up and use 23 on Penix/Nix.
Leber said he loved Penix at 23. Thinks offense would be like the 90’s days just grab a tall WR later in the draft as the #3.

Leber said he loved Penix at 23. Thinks offense would be like the 90’s days just grab a tall WR later in the draft as the #3.
Leber said KOC loved Penix at 23? Or Leber loves Penix at 23? I thought it was something KOC said in an interview about QBs in general and then being caught off guard by a comment about Penix.

Leber said KOC loved Penix at 23? Or Leber loves Penix at 23? I thought it was something KOC said in an interview about QBs in general and then being caught off guard by a comment about Penix.

KOC's interview was with Pat McAfee, and he was asked what he thinks is the most important trait in a QB. KOC said accuracy and was discussing that/ball placement, then Pat said 'like Penix'? KOC paused and then continued to discuss accuracy as the most important trait.

And now somehow KFAN has decided to read into that as interest in Penix.

Apologies I can see how my wording was ambiguous.

Leber said he (himself, Leber) thinks …

Not KOC

was reading an article about Penix at his Pro Day.

threw a pass that went 75 yards in the air. ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. his broad jump and vertical jump measurements were better than any QB who went through testing at the Combine.

details from The Sporting News:

Penix threw numerous high-quality passes to his receivers. His downfield strikes often had elite-level ball placement and were easy for his receivers to catch. Penix also showed a good combination of accuracy and velocity when attacking the middle of the field.

Some hand-time Penix's (40-yard) run at 4.46 seconds, though a group of scouts clocked Penix between 4.53 and 4.56 seconds in the 40, per Albert Breer of The MMQB.

Penix also notched a 36.5-inch vertical jump at his workout along with a 10-6 broad jump.

threw a pass that went 75 yards in the air. ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. his broad jump and vertical jump measurements were better than any QB who went through testing at the Combine.

Penix threw numerous high-quality passes to his receivers. His downfield strikes often had elite-level ball placement and were easy for his receivers to catch. Penix also showed a good combination of accuracy and velocity when attacking the middle of the field.

Some hand-time Penix's (40-yard) run at 4.46 seconds, though a group of scouts clocked Penix between 4.53 and 4.56 seconds in the 40, per Albert Breer of The MMQB.

Penix also notched a 36.5-inch vertical jump at his workout along with a 10-6 broad jump.
Should be rocketing up to top 6 pick!

Drafting QB's :ROFLMAO:

I have no problem getting Penix at 23 if that's what they want to do. The problem is it isn't a guarantee he's there at 23.
"We MUST draft a QB this year!!!!"

Fallacy

If he's there, fine. If not, fine. Draft a Guard.

Fallacy

as far as picking a guard in the 1st round - I found a site that aggregates all or most of the proposed mock drafts and rankings. they had 2 interior offensive linemen (guards and centers) ranked as potential 1st-round picks. the highest-ranked was 24th overall (from Oregon) and he was considered the only likely 1st-round pick among interior OL.

on the same site, (NFL mock draft database), their overall ranking of QB's went
Caleb Williams #1
Drake Maye #2
Jayden Daniels #4
JJ McCarthy #9
Bo Nix #32
Michael Penix #37
Spencer Rattler #93

---according to the site, their consensus big board of each player's overall ranking for the 2024 NFL draft was compiled using (as of today) 132 Big Boards, 1007 1st Round Mock Drafts, and 889 Team-based mock drafts. they take all of the various predictions and aggregate them to come up with an overall consensus. take it for what it's worth - but interesting if you want to look at draft predictions for each position group.

Fallacy

Why would you draft a guard. Our offensive line is fine.

We have a damn good offensive line. I swear I read that somewhere.

Last edited:

I heard Penix's Pro Day was pretty incredible too.

Almost as amazing as Zach Wilson's legendary Pro Day when he was at BYU a couple years ago. He lit up social media all over the place with his Pro Day.

I think it would be rough if they didn't. The class next year does not look very good at this point.
Five QB's get drafted first round in 24. Amazing class.
Three QB's get drafted first round in 25. Not a very good class.

How does that work?

Moreover ... who cares?

If we have a top 8 pick next year ... then we may be able to have a top 3 QB pick without doing any trade. As long as we get a guy we want, it doesn't matter how great the class is.

The main point is that there is an incredible amount of competition THIS year for a QB, between the "top 4" and the "next 2" QB prospects.

The top 3 picks are all looking at taking one. Then maybe 2-3 teams between picks 4-10. And then Vikings, Broncos, and Raiders all right in a row of 11, 12, 13 whose fans all think they should look at trading up.

Just plain stupid to get into a bidding war for an unknown, unproven commodity that could bust like the 2021 class and cost us the farm.

Five QB's get drafted first round in 24. Amazing class.
Three QB's get drafted first round in 25. Not a very good class.

How does that work?
Probably should have said doesn't look as good. Most people feel that next year will not have as much depth as this year's class. Of course that can change. At this point though, the talent at QB does not look as good as this year.

Top Bottom